• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So insted of a netflix model, this is just a console that is not in ur house so u just renting it to use it by internet. Good luck google.
If the price of new games are extra cheap compared to other consoles and PC , they still might get a chance. I dont see them doing it though.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not understand the criticism of having two options of buying a game(must be owned and not a timed rental) and a netflix-like subscription service. If you are required to pay for the monthly fee in order to play your owned games then that will be a major issue. I see Xcloud being similar as well with having both options.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they kill off Youtube Red? They turned it into Youtube Premium which in itself is kind of dead, they've already killed off a lot of their entire original content initiative they've tried to do the past few years too.
Premium, red, same diff. They still have Cobra Kai on the video side, and again still ad free YouTube and music which would be enough for me personally on top of the older game streaming

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imo because people seem to think this is an inferior experience than we're getting on a PS4 Pro. I think the living room experience on Stadia is gonna be better than PS4 Pro with the caveat that fighting game fans are going to notice a frame or 2 of latency.
That's the thing though, people are attacking this from their current perspective of local play. This is a streaming service. This isn't for the hardcore because the hardcore don't want any latency issues or having to deal with buffering. This is for the casuals. BUT both the hardcore and the casual ate welcomed to play. The hardcore KNOW the cons of streaming (latency) and only THEY see those issues. The casuals? It'll be a great experience at $11.99 just like Netflix is even when it buffers sometimes.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
They're charging you for new games? Can you download them and play offline at least? If not, this seems like an awful proposition.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least with lots of digital games if they get removed from the store you can still play it but just cant redownload it. With this if something gets removed and you bought it you're probably screwed and will just lose your money.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
So you have to be subscribed ($12 a month) to play games in 4K, and buy the games at full price on top of that? The subscription is mandatory regardless? Considering it mentions a free subscription with 1080p limit and no games, I'm assuming this is the case.

Trash service if true.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not true at all with Gamepass.. while not every third party game is there (you would have to charge far more than $10) in the last month alone a ton of new games not published by MS went right into gamepass on release day. So thats how you bring more value to the subscription model.
Any big 3rd party games? I know Microsoft has been making nice deals to get games on Gamepass (which is why I'm still interested in that expanding to more platforms than Google Stadia). But I imagine Google will also strike some deals to get games on their service day 1.

I'm not understand the criticism of having two options of buying a game(must be owned and not a timed rental) and a netflix-like subscription service. If you are required to pay for the monthly fee in order to play your owned games then that will be a major issue. I see Xcloud being similar as well with having both options.

Agreed, not sure what people are upset about. The option to also purchase new games if you want to?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Google could use this early leak to analyze reactions and maybe further explain things that they might not have planned to.

Again: They are a professional well-respected journalistic institution. They wouldn't let Google manipulate them into publishing "fake" information to gauge public reaction. If they found out Google used them in this fashion, bridges would be burned. It's a lose-lose proposition. Journalists typically receive press releases days in advance so they can write their pieces in advance to be published when the embargo is up. It's way more probable they just incorrectly set the embargo date/time in their database.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So far, no issues. This cannot be "free", or else no one would put games on it. Publishers have to have a source of money flow, especially for new games.

Dead on arrival. Why would someone buy a game to stream it when they can just buy it on any other platform?
Because they can play that game on any [especially non-gaming-ready] hardware they already own?

Fresco Vivir

Apr 12, 2018
I can't wrap my head around these complaints. People pay subs for PS+/XBL that don't come with free, brand new games. Yes, they're a little cheaper, but it's the same basic idea. Anyone who thought they were going to get an unlimited library of new release games for $20/mo or whatever was out of their minds.

Exactly not only that you are playing new games without actually having to own expensive hardware...google won't rent their servers for everyone for free this business model is exactly what I expected and I'm 99% sure that Microsoft Xcloud will also use the same business mode...this is how cloud processing services work wither its for gaming or other stuff..

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious that only two things are at play here: it's Google & it's streaming only. If it were anybody else with an option to download, everyone would jump on this. I personally have no issues with what Google is going for. This is clearly not the views of the majority of this forum, but everyone is treating as if it's going to personally threaten the way they play games. Nothing is changing. You can still play games the way you want to play. This is just an alternative.

I can't stand all of the negativity lately.
Truthfully, this was always the way the thread would go. Short of Google giving all the games for free and even then..

I don't care if it falls or succeeds but the endless fearmonging and negatively for anything that is different for a supposed gaming enthusiasts forum is depressing.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing though, people are attacking this from their current perspective of local play. This is a streaming service. This isn't for the hardcore because the hardcore don't want any latency issues or having to deal with buffering. This is for the casuals. BUT both the hardcore and the casual ate welcomed to play. The hardcore KNOW the cons of streaming (latency) and only THEY see those issues. The casuals? It'll be a great experience at $11.99 just like Netflix is even when it buffers sometimes.
casuals arent dumbfucks who wont notice lag. a video buffering is irritating, but the game buffering is worse

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From what I understand, you have to "buy" new games, but in reality you're just paying for a license to stream the game ?

Yeah, good luck with that Google.

Yeah you can take the same $60 buy a game on Xbox and play it locally or stream it through XCloud. Why anyone would willingly purchase games on Stadia when Microsoft and Sony offer a better value proposition is beyond me

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Stradia is going to be competing with PS5/XBNext so i can either:

A) Buy games and stream them at 1080p/30fps or spend $11.99 a month on top to play them in 4K/60fps
B) Buy a console and games and run them at the maximum performance level possible.

Now the big difference is the upfront cost which is of course much higher than Stradia but if you play more than once a month and stick around for a console generation then it costs more for Stradia and is reliant on an internet connection at all times.

The only people i see taking advantage of this are people who very rarely play or just buy the occasional game which in that case i cant imagine it being that profitable for Google. I mean your average Fifa player might only buy that one game and play for a year. If they arent subscribed to the 4K option then Google are probably losing money there I would assume.

Just doesnt seem like a good option for anyone.

You are buying a different product at that point, extra work has been done to get it to that higher quality. With Stradia its essentially subbing for an unlock key to play at better quality.
I think you're slightly underplaying the benefit of not owning hardware, though. It's not just a simple case of not having to buy it, though of course that's a benefit. It's not even the fact that you don't need space, or to pay for its power, or to listen to its fan or pay for repairs or replacements if it breaks, or the fact that - liberated from a plastic shell - you can "use it" anywhere you have a device and an internet connection. The main thing, to me, is that you're no longer constrained to a single chunk of hardware (or incremental upgrade in the case of the Pro and X, which obviously both represent another investment of money).

When the PS5 comes along, if you buy it, that's it - that processor's never getting faster, its never getting more RAM etc. The appeal of all cloud computing platforms, whether it's gaming using Stadia or any of the other million uses for cloud computing, it's that you can take something running on a certain configuration and then slap it on a different configuration as needs require. The story of consoles is that when they come out they're usually pretty good (especially as far as value for money goes) when compared to a PC, but then as the generation wears on, the PC tech outpaces consoles significantly - such that if you buy a mid-range PC today, you're going to absolutely cream the performance of a PS4. If you had the money, you could continually upgrade your PC such that you were always on the cusp of what's possible - and Stadia offers this, but without the need to constantly upgrade your hardware. In fact, you don't have any. A new PS4 game released today needs to work on hardware from 6 years ago. A new game released on Stadia won't need to work on hardware from 6 years ago. *This*, to me, is the key benefit of not owning the hardware.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wrap my head around these complaints. People pay subs for PS+/XBL that don't come with free, brand new games. Yes, they're a little cheaper, but it's the same basic idea. Anyone who thought they were going to get an unlimited library of new release games for $20/mo or whatever was out of their minds.
Assuming cost is relatively the same, why would anyone choose to do this method over the tradtional way they have been doing it? The appeal at first was hopefully streaming games were cheaper.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So you have to be subscribed ($12 a month) to play games in 4K, and buy the games at full price on top of that? The subscription is mandatory regardless? Considering it mentions a free subscription with 1080p limit and no games, I'm assuming this is the case.

Trash service if true.
No the sub is optional but the free version is limited to 1080p resolution

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 2020 version continues to sound great to me if it works. If I just need to buy the game and it works like if steam has this functionality, I just buy and launch at full fidelity no matter the hardware as long as I have the internet, sounds great.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Maybe Google schemed with this outlet to release this rumor/leak to check the general consensus before truly finalizing stuffs =P

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a rocky launch and a hard sell for most people. I can see it being viable next year, but it's gonna be a couple tough first months.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Dead on arrival. Why would someone buy a game to stream it when they can just buy it on any other platform?

yup. this is why I feel like xcloud will work better. As buying the game on xbox would probably just allow you to stream any game you have paid for. plus you have the advantage of just downloading and playing the game normally.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds about what I expected. You were never going to be able to get new release games for $12 a month. Same reason Netflix doesn't have new release movies. You could save a ton of money by buying a month of Stadia and beating the game in that month, rather than buying it for $60. I'm only curious what they mean by "older" games. 6 months? A year?

My biggest disappointment is the fact that Chromecast is required (for now). I wanted play on my laptop.

I never needed to buy new shows on Netflix?

Because Netflix doesn't have them? At least Stadia gives you the option. It's an option that's seemingly pointless when you can just buy it physically or on other more reliable services, but it is an option.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
casuals arent dumbfucks who wont notice lag. a video buffering is irritating, but the game buffering is worse
Okkk.

Look man, I tested Stadia back in Nov/Dec. I had a great time with it. With that said, since I've experienced the service and it was FINE then (at 1080p) then I'm sure it'll be even greater at 4k/60.

It's a streaming service, people who pay for it know what they're getting themselves into.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're slightly underplaying the benefit of not owning hardware, though. It's not just a simple case of not having to buy it, though of course that's a benefit. It's not even the fact that you don't need space, or to pay for its power, or to listen to its fan or pay for repairs or replacements if it breaks, or the fact that - liberated from a plastic shell - you can "use it" anywhere you have a device and an internet connection. The main thing, to me, is that you're no longer constrained to a single chunk of hardware (or incremental upgrade in the case of the Pro and X, which obviously both represent another investment of money).

When the PS5 comes along, if you buy it, that's it - that processor's never getting faster, its never getting more RAM etc. The appeal of all cloud computing platforms, whether it's gaming using Stadia or any of the other million uses for cloud computing, it's that you can take something running on a certain configuration and then slap it on a different configuration as needs require. The story of consoles is that when they come out they're usually pretty good (especially as far as value for money goes) when compared to a PC, but then as the generation wears on, the PC tech outpaces consoles significantly - such that if you buy a mid-range PC today, you're going to absolutely cream the performance of a PS4. If you had the money, you could continually upgrade your PC such that you were always on the cusp of what's possible - and Stadia offers this, but without the need to constantly upgrade your hardware. In fact, you don't have any. A new PS4 game released today needs to work on hardware from 6 years ago. A new game released on Stadia won't need to work on hardware from 6 years ago. *This*, to me, is the key benefit of not owning the hardware.

But the benefit you're describing is so far down the road, and will not occur in a vacuum. We have no idea what XCloud will be like, or Playstation's next gen streaming solution. The benefit of Stadia will be readily apparent if it's a thriving service in 5-10 years - but for now in 2019, it is questionable. Even in 2020, there are barriers it has to overcome to be looked at seriously as a player in the industry.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also how many casuals think "I dont want to spend money on a console but am perfectly happy spending £50 on a new game coming out because i can play it on my TV"

I seriously think the market for these people is much smaller then they realise.

The only people I have ever met that have the desire to play games but dont are the ones that cant afford a console or more importantly cant even spend £50 on a single game.

This idea that there are millions of people willing to spend that much upfront on a big game but not willing to buy a console seems really silly.

Maybe im wrong and Stradia will be a massive success, but at the moment im having a hard time believing that.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
every year you own this it approaches being more expensive than a console...and for what?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also it's a bit unfair to compare to Netflix as Netflix did not premiere original content until six years after it started streaming with House of Cards in 2013.

So saying you don't have to buy new movies or shows on Netflix...well they didn't have new movies or shows for a long time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Because Netflix doesn't have them? At least Stadia gives you the option. It's an option that's seemingly pointless when you can just buy it physically or on other more reliable services, but it is an option.

Netflix has a slew of Netflix Originals or shows/movies that are day one in the service for no extra cost.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
People really thought they'd give away brand new games for a low monthly sub? This was always the way it was going to be. No publisher would take that deal.

This forum is not the target demographic at all, and it shows. Low barriers to entry plus an affordable, easy-to-ignore monthly sub like Netflix are huge selling points. That said, I think requiring dedicated hardware with a Chromecast at launch is a dumb idea because ease of access without any boxes was supposed to be one of Stadia's main appeals.

if Google can back this up with some genuinely great exclusives (maybe bundle those in with a monthly sub and eat the costs), this could take off.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You you need hardware, a subscription AND buy the games?

How is this different from now?

In a year if I don't have to buy anything and a subscription is free maybe.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to pay a sub for anywhere access to games via cloud hardware, but if I'm also paying for the games themselves, and I need extra hardware, I at least want the option to play on local hardware.

So I'm out

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
What's eww? It's the same model as netflix, Netflix only has older movies and if you want to see the newest release you have to buy it

Microsoft exclusives are on Game Pass day 1 and lets not gloss over the fact that some third party games launch on Game Pass day 1 as well. Netflix exclusives (Netflix originals) are there on day 1. Will Google exclusives be on their service day 1?

Scaramanger

Nov 27, 2017
You you need hardware, a subscription AND buy the games?

How is this different from now?

In a year if I don't have to buy anything and a subscription is free maybe.
I think the big challenge for me will be if I buy a game on Xcloud then presumably I will be able to use that same game on an Xbox console if I choose to later, on stadia my only option is stream