• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I can't see this taking off unless Sony and MS really drag their feet at getting their services on everything. The only thing Stadia has going for it right now is higher quality streaming then PS Now, but Sony is making efforts to improve that and I'm sure Xcloud will be fairly competitive at launch.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I think quite a bit rides on the non-subscription pricing. At the very least there needs to be a discount for new games if you're on a Pro subscription.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
$170 streaming box + $12 Pro subscription and having to pay for recent games on top of that?
Who is this aimed at?

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised Google completely bungled the pricing and launch of this.

The pricing is a disaster since Netflix exists even thought the content is obviously different

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it would require purchases for new games. There's no way AAA publishers are willing to sacrifice launch sales for a tiny portion of a subscription.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why Google gets crapped on for not including new 3rd party games in their monthly sub when no competitor does either.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, if these details are true, I think they're about to get their ass kicked by both Microsoft and Sony on the streaming front.
I think they need to be more aggressive than that if they TRULY want to break into the games market.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If I got this right...

$277 for the first year and that doesn't include new games.
$420 for year two if they don't increase the sub cost.

At some point you are paying more to sub than to own.

I don't think it's that out of wack on the hardware costs alone. When you consider PS+ and the probable PS Now catalog service, I think it's going to be very competitive.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I never, never expected you to not bu y games anyways, unless the subscription was like $60+ a month wich would scare people off
separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

I don't get this part. So you can only play games you buy like normal so what's the point of the sub?
4k60fps I guess

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Now.... exclusives are still the wild card. 2019 is the trial run, 2020 is the real deal. Lets see what they've got.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol, you aren't going to magically get free AAA titles from google within the free sub
You magically get "free" YouTube, Gmail, Google search, Google Maps etc. I wasn't asking for free new AAA games, I was asking for free old games (imagine, like a free PS Now but without PS exclusives limited to 1080p and a paid version to upgrade to 4K/60fps, and the new AAA games would be purchased separatedly but way under $60).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Stadia will get better, unless I'm not understanding you correctly.
Im just saying that this is the option that is available to us for the next year or more. Any games you buy will also need you to pay the $11.99 subscription if you want to play them in 4K/60fps otherwise you are limited to 1080p/30fps.
You're capable of playing that game as a higher quality because you own the hardware capable of doing so. In the Stadia scenario, you don't. That fee you pay is to rent their hardware.
That is the trade off and i do understand the reasoning behind it but from a customer perspective, if i buy a game i expect to be able to take advantage of that to its fullest. If the game was designed to go 4K/60fps then i expect to have that if i have paid full price and own it.

The idea of spending £50 on a game with Google and then have to subscribe and make sure i have an online connection just to be able to get the most out of my purchase is ridiculous.

Of course i understand the reasoning for this is that you dont have to purchase a console up front but over the space of a console generation you will spend more on Stradia and own inferior versions of games.

Im also willing to bet that Stradia will have less competitive digital sales then either Sony or Microsoft so you will probably spend more on the games overall too.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds bad... if true.
I wasnt planning to buy this but after this I wont miss anything

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Paying $170 to get access to the launch of, essentially, a next-generation console. It seems like they're targeting tech adopters at the early stages - maybe the kind of person who owns a VR headset, and owns a PS4 and/or an Xbox One already.

Then they'll scale from there, adding devices, appealing to more people.
I think this is it in a nutshell.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't buy the idea that Google has a trigger finger to kill the service theyve spent massive resources to build.

I also don't buy the narrative that Google is a graveyard of abandoned projects. If anything they launch too many projects that overlap with each other. Then eventually they have to reconfigure/streamline their offerings. Like we know Hangouts is gonna be killed, but there's already like 3 other messaging services to take it's place. What difference does it make if they rebrand Hangouts or replace it with something new that offers the same features?
I imagine part of why Google is experimenting with Stadia to begin with is because the cloud tech that they're working on for it can be used in other use cases like enterprise. If Stadia fails, they'll take the cloud tech they developed for it and use it for something else.

Also, I think a better comparison to Stadia instead of Hangouts is Daydream VR. Google pushed Daydream super hard out of the gate, spent a lot of time on it a IO, and then when it didn't take off their support went down to a trickle. It's not officially abandoned but it's getting there. If Google can drop Daydream at a drop of a hat, I don't see why they couldn't do that for Stadia and repurpose the cloud tech for another project.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly this seems DOA to me. Arguably the worst pricing strategy they could have come up with is a sub fee plus purchased games. The free 1080p sub helps but you're still having to fork out $60 for streamed games. I'll be shocked if this takes off.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its not appealing to me. The games and the streaming dont offer value for money. Plus you need dedicated hardware, so much for everything in a browser and just hopping on and off where and when you like. Yes that's the plan down the line but it isn't happening at launch.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Yes that is but this is a streaming service at $11.99. you want NEW games day 1 at $11.99? Let's be realistic.

No, but there's no way I'm paying full price for games I can't play locally. I think it's going to struggle out of the gate with this plan, which is something it really can't afford to do. It's not my problem, though, and this service clearly isn't aimed at me, anyway, so whatever.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed this is going to be a mix of subscription with some games and then an option of buying newly released games for $59.99 and "owning it". I don't see it being "dead on arrival" if that's the option unless they go the PS Now route and only allow up to 1 year rentals for buying games.

The main issue is the amount and kind of games be released around launch. It really needs strong casual games like Fifa, NBA 2k, Fortnight and etc.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For streaming? Absolutely.
Lmfaoo ok so if Netflix and Amazon don't do this why should Google? Games are $60. Movies are $10-$18 and and they aren't even included day 1 in streaming services. You have to wait for them to be available. Same scenario here. You wanting NEW games to be available day 1 at $11.99 isn't realistic at all.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I think they're not targeting core gamers. They're trying to lure those who don't purchase consoles not those who do. Even still, it's not the best bargain.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see this taking off unless Sony and MS really drag their feet at getting their services on everything. The only thing Stadia has going for it right now is higher quality streaming then PS Now, but Sony is making efforts to improve that and I'm sure Xcloud will be fairly competitive at launch.

I don't see how Sony or Microsoft could have a better subscription model, based Xbox Game Pass and PS Now prices.

Xbox Game Pass with Xbox Live is $14.99 a month. Will they get to a price where they can compete with $11.99 and Free?

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Lmfaoo ok so if Netflix and Amazon don't do this why should Google? Games are $60. Movies are $10-$18 and and they aren't even included day 1 in streaming services. You have to wait for them to be available. Same scenario here. You wanting NEW games to be available day 1 at $11.99 isn't realistic at all.
How do Microsoft do it?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, people are not seeing this and just want NEW games day 1 at $11.99 it seems.

imo because people seem to think this is an inferior experience than we're getting on a PS4 Pro. I think the living room experience on Stadia is gonna be better than PS4 Pro with the caveat that fighting game fans are going to notice a frame or 2 of latency.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is the trade off and i do understand the reasoning behind it but from a customer perspective, if i buy a game i expect to be able to take advantage of that to its fullest. If the game was designed to go 4K/60fps then i expect to have that if i have paid full price and own it.

The idea of spending £50 on a game with Google and then have to subscribe and make sure i have an online connection just to be able to get the most out of my purchase is ridiculous.

Of course i understand the reasoning for this is that you dont have to purchase a console up front but over the space of a console generation you will spend more on Stradia and own inferior versions of games.

Im also willing to bet that Stradia will have less competitive digital sales then either Sony or Microsoft so you will probably spend more on the games overall too.

This is literally the same as PS4 vs PS4 Pro, though. Same games, same "license", one's better quality than the other. If you already have the hardware then of course it's "ridiculous" but this clearly isn't, and is never going to be, for people who have the hardware to play it at its fullest quality already.