• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It's just a touch too pricey for me. If they brought that sub down to $100 a year, and prove that they can deliver a strong library of titles, I'd probably unsub from HumbleMonthly and sign up for this

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the targeted audience will be as hung up on paying for a subscription and having to pay for the latest games.

For a large amount of the audience it will just be paying for a DVD and playing it (the 1080p service).

For others it will be like having a cable package and buying the digital 4K version of a movie on the online store (the 4K/60fps service), while also having access to the older movies that are just available.

Based on these details I think they've nailed what a practical streaming service should look like. If they throw in discounts for full-price games when you have a Pro subscription they're going to attract a lot of people.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hahahaha, what a disaster. Expensive hardware, monthly subscription, still have to buy new games. Who approved this?

Feb 8, 2018
1. It will be very hard for anyone to offer a subscription based model for new third party games.
2. Google will have to wow people with it's own games.
3. Hardly anyone will buy new games to stream if they are the same price.
4. Anything over $100 is way too much to get started.
5. Less than 40 games is not enough to launch with.

maybe they're trying to convince people that there isn't a big difference between streaming a game and installing it but there is. Either way this must be like a small experiment to them and I doubt they'd care much if this whole thing bombs

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issues for me are the timing (I thought it was coming soon) and the lineup up of games. Obviously there are more to come but if they are of that type it's so underwhelming.

vortz

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping for some kind of family plan or library sharing. No mention of it in the leak. Such a pity, it is a no go for me if that happens to be the case.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of what I expected

More amazon prime than Netflix- single store, some titles included in the paid sub, others you buy.

I don't know if it was reasonable for people to expect brand new games from third parties included in a $10-15 monthly sub

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The free 1080p sub should have been from day one. I don't care about streaming old games that have low requirements already.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Its confusing to me, so I buy the chromecast, pay a sub fee per month to get free games streamed but new releases are full price digital only?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
"- Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)"

The question is, which countries? I live in EU (Hungary)
I would guess the countries are likely to be 14 out of this list:

USA
Canada
UK
Ireland
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Japan

Why would anyone pay full prie for a streamed game?
Their business model makes this a near requirement. Firstly they have to convince people that their service is as good as buying a game and playing it on local hardware - pricing themselves as a lower-cost option undermines that message. Secondly, they'll want to offer publishers the same amount for each game purchased on Stadia as they get from other platforms, otherwise publishers will treat Stadia like a secondary platform.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, wasn't this about what we expected? This isn't for us. It's just an easier entry for non-gamers to get into the hobby.
I think the only thing I didn't expect was Having to buy Chromecast Ultra or the gamepad.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This leak has to be fake. Or it an official leak to gauge the response as the juggle between plan a and plan b.
Why would you think that? All seems realistic enough for me. I'd honestly even expect those monthly fees to be higher than this.

With Google's track record on killing even good products....

Google better show some amazing exclusives today to draw people into the ecosystem. Otherwise, I don't know...
Google would have to be paying good money to get worthwhile exclusives when your current market count of potential software sales is 0.

Streaming would be an attractive proposition if it ended up being significantly cheaper than buying physical, but now you're telling me I need a subscription PLUS buying full-priced games PLUS exploding my ISP monthly fees to have enough bandwidth speed and cap to cope? Yeah, no. Better luck next time, Google!
People expected anything different?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I think $11.99 is a good price. You get 4K streaming and a library of games to play. It's just that I'll never use it due to data caps. It's just a shame that they free 1080p sub won't be available until 2020.

IMO, for Stadia to succeed they need to market it as a complement to consoles/PC...just another way to play your games instead of a direct competitor. This is appealing to those that want to play their games remotely. I hope more games follow the Destiny 2 route and offer cross-saves. Also, I'll never buy a game off the stadia store since it won't be my primary way to play games, but I would if the stadia version also unlocked a copy of the game I can download and play on my console/PC along with cross-save.
Precisely, it isn't meant to replace, it's meant to compliment. For instance, I have multiple gaming platforms. PC, PS4, Switch. Just as I have multiple streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime. At $11.99 a month this goes perfectly with my other streaming services. I'm actually surprised at how cheap it is. I think they landed a perfect price.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the targeted audience will be as hung up on paying for a subscription and having to pay for the latest games.

For a large amount of the audience it will just be paying for a DVD and playing it (the 1080p service).

For others it will be like having a cable package and buying the digital 4K version of a movie on the online store (the 4K/60fps service), while also having access to the older movies that are just available.

Based on these details I think they've nailed what a practical streaming service should look like. If they throw in discounts for full-price games when you have a Pro subscription they're going to attract a lot of people.
Basically 👌

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this depends on the quality and breadth of games on the subscription. And how often games get added in, if new games are added 6-12 months after release that's not bad.

I'm hoping the price of new games is less than retail copies as well.

One thing Stadia still has going for it is not needing to bug a box and the flexibility to eventually play on any screen you own. Those two things will be very appealing to a lot of people.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I wonder what Xbox message will be at E3 considering this news is true.
It'll likely be a similar style service, except they have the benefit of the already established GamePass. Benefit that they've got is that streaming isn't their main or only focus, so even if it bombs for them they can just move back to a 100% focus on local hardware.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Btw, if Stadia is coming november----> DOOM Etarnal release in november? (Maybe before november)

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
so wait

new games will be full price.

to use stadia, you need a subscription.

so if i buy a FULL PRICE GAME, and stop subbing to stadia, i lose access to it?

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think the requirement of Chromecast is done purposely. When I did the beta back last year, this wasn't needed.

Pretty ridiculous.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I would guess the countries are likely to be 14 out of this list:

USA
Canada
UK
Ireland
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Japan

Their business model makes this a near requirement. Firstly they have to convince people that their service is as good as buying a game and playing it on local hardware - pricing themselves as a lower-cost option undermines that message. Secondly, they'll want to offer publishers the same amount for each game purchased on Stadia as they get from other platforms, otherwise publishers will treat Stadia like a secondary platform.
Do they have datacenters near Italy ? I tried PS Now and it was a fucking distaster with 100 mbps download and 2 Mb upload.

Last edited:

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this will work is if the streaming is smooth sailing. Otherwise it's just shit sub/hardware/game purchase methodology.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, assuming this would work well enough, I can see a ton of parents buying subscriptions for their kids.

To only play old games you could find dirt cheap on PS4/XB1?

I think that the demography interested in games and more do the type of games featured most likely own one console already.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Buying games? Noooooo. I mean they'd have to be heavily discounted and the streaming tech to be seriously good and consistent for that to be a thing for me personally. I'm always going to have a console so if I am paying similar amounts and one is guaranteed to run and one will have variable performance of course I'll get it for the console and not Stadia. A subscription with access to everything is the only way to do this. Imagine Spotify wanting you to still pay money for individual new releases from big names. No.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so wait

new games will be full price.

to use stadia, you need a subscription.

so if i buy a FULL PRICE GAME, and stop subbing to stadia, i lose access to it?
I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

You don't loose access to games you buy in the PlayStation store if you're no longer a PS+ subscriber. Same model. You can still access your purchased games anytime.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Man if Xbox continue on the gamepass route with streaming as well they would have already destroyed stadia .

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Hah, after watching this recap I understand why Piscatella wasn't so sure about Stadia's success when at first he read like he saw it to be the future of gaming.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Remember it's a canadian article for a canadian audience. Prices are very likely to be canadian dollars.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't own anything I buy on Netflix, Amazon Prime and I'm ok with that. This is no different.

That hardware part: People already have TVs, phones, laptos etc it says it requires Chromecast at launch in order to work but sometime in 2020 it'll work as they have demonstrated, just internet and a TV, phone or laptop. The initial entry price in order to use it at launch isn't bad at all. For people that don't get this at launch and get it down the road, I see no reason to complain. This is the price of Netflix but for games, games that have been out for some time and if you want to experience the latest and greatest buy it, just like you would go to the theater to experience the latest and greatest along with your popcorn, candy and Coke.

I honestly see no reason to bitch about this. Mom and pop will buy into this, hardcore gamers (a smaller fraction of the pie) may be nitpicky but I'm seeing it from a logical point of view.
^^^

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The free 1080p sub should have been from day one. I don't care about streaming old games that have low requirements already.

It seems to me like they're making early adopters buy into a "soft launch" to gauge server capacity and iron out the service.

The pitch next year to a mass audience will still be no upfront cost (@ 1080), and massive client accessibility.

I want to know how Stadia will handle free to play, and I want to know if all Google first party games will be included in the 4k sub.