• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no chance I'm investing time or money in this if some games are buy only.

Subscription price for everything or I'll just play other platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
So basically the Chromecast is a micro-console? I thought the idea was to not have hardware tied to Stadia lol.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the issue: I have Amazon Prime, i buy ... John Wick 3 from the Prime Video store, i'll cancel my Prime sub. Sure, i don't have the free movies anymore, but i can still watch John Wick 3.

Issue nailed down: You can't play anymore without the sub, EVEN THOUGH you paid full price for the game.

How is this the only way i will/would work? This is TERRIBLE, good grief.
There is a free sub that you can use.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's an artificial throttle on demand this year while they scale the infrastructure. Same reason Sony didn't expand PSNow to every device from the get-go.

I agree with this, but the subscription is already a throttle. Not supporting the chrome browser at launch is selling the platform short when it needs to make a good impression.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
So $11.99 to access games that they cycle through the catalog (just like Netflix) and if you want to play NEW games as they release you'd have to buy them outright (like you do currently with PS+/GwG/Origin)

I am ok with this. This is basically just an alternative to what we have now without having to buy dedicated hardware for it. At $11.99 to access 31 games at launch this isn't bad at all.

Although this is a rumor/leak, I'm still excited to see what they'll have to share.
Yeah, I agree. I think $11.99 is a good price. You get 4K streaming and a library of games to play. It's just that I'll never use it due to data caps. It's just a shame that they free 1080p sub won't be available until 2020.

IMO, for Stadia to succeed they need to market it as a complement to consoles/PC...just another way to play your games instead of a direct competitor. This is appealing to those that want to play their games remotely. I hope more games follow the Destiny 2 route and offer cross-saves. Also, I'll never buy a game off the stadia store since it won't be my primary way to play games, but I would if the stadia version also unlocked a copy of the game I can download and play on my console/PC along with cross-save.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This pricing scheme can be pretty good depending on one important detail.

If I buy a game through google's store is that copy only playable on Stadia servers or can I play it on a PC, xbox, ps4, switch after I download it?

If I can choose which platform it works on then I'm essentially subbing so I can play my games anywhere that is much cheaper than Nvidia's solution and has a reach beyond my home unlike Valve's solution.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Google better show some amazing exclusives today to draw people into the ecosystem. Otherwise, I don't know...

Oct 28, 2017
This leak has to be fake. Or it an official leak to gauge the response as the juggle between plan a and plan b.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the issue: I have Amazon Prime, i buy ... John Wick 3 from the Prime Video store, i'll cancel my Prime sub. Sure, i don't have the free movies anymore, but i can still watch John Wick 3.

Issue nailed down: You can't play anymore without the sub, EVEN THOUGH you paid full price for the game.

How is this the only way i will/would work? This is TERRIBLE, good grief.
I don't know if others have clarified it for you, but i get the impression that they are separate things. The sub is for junky old games like Destiny 2, you pay full price for non-sub games that you can keep and play regardless of the subscription.

Of course you still need to buy hardware in top of it all.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
So this is sort of how Amazon Prime video works. Stream some with the sub but buy the newer stuff.

Again, new technology. It's going to take time for it to pick up but I do think there's interest there.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this sounds exactly like Netflix to me. Are you getting the newest movies that are coming out in theaters on Netflix? You get them after a few months (A year or more in some cases maybe). You can pay to go and see the movie in the theater if you need to see it as early as possible, but if you are patient it will eventually show up on your subscription of choice.
It's not like Netflix at all. If Netflix had you pay big money just to turn it on, then the usual subscription fee and then actually buy each film separately, there wouldn't be a Netflix. I don't see how your analogy to films in the cinemas fits with what's being discussed here.

Besides, a lot of people (mostly) watch Netflix for their own content and licensed TV shows, myself included.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Yeah.... No. No way, not buying a game on top of the sub. Will see what the free games are available for the free option I guess

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
This pricing scheme can be pretty good depending on one important detail.

If I buy a game through google's store is that copy only playable on Stadia servers or can I play it on a PC, xbox, ps4, switch after I download it?

If I can choose which platform it works on then I'm essentially subbing so I can play my games anywhere that is much cheaper than Nvidia's solution and has a reach beyond my home unlike Valve's solution.
I love that idea. Buying a full price game for PC/Xbox/PS4 whatever, having a Stadia code thrown in. Movies on disc sometimes do that, they give you a code to get it on a VOD service also.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Streaming would be an attractive proposition if it ended up being significantly cheaper than buying physical, but now you're telling me I need a subscription PLUS buying full-priced games PLUS exploding my ISP monthly fees to have enough bandwidth speed and cap to cope? Yeah, no. Better luck next time, Google!

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

I don't get this part. So you can only play games you buy like normal so what's the point of the sub?
You have to buy the game and can stream for free.
So you buy the game, but the hardware and service to stream the game will be free (If you buy the game on Google Stadia) platform.

If you buy a game on Xbox, you can stream it for free via xCloud. That would be the equivalent.

I won't judge the service until end of 2020.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This does sound DoA to me, if true of course, especially when we have no idea on exclusives. I think I'll stick to Game Pass + xCloud (when it comes out).

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Older games will keep it from competing with an already established market. I guess you can say that Game Streaming is seperate, but I think XCloud and PSNow will be ahead in this category too.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As expect when it came to new games .
Did people really think 3rd parties would have there new games for $12 a month right away .
This is going to need to some price wise IMO.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean at 10$ a month I can't see who they're trying to appeal to here.

They don't really want to be Netflix, they want to be Playstation and Xbox without the upfront cost. It's going to be hard for them to market themselves that way without any exclusives and with the way they presented the service beforehand.

La Presse is a serious journal, if they report on it it's most likely true.

Which market though?
I mean, assuming this would work well enough, I can see a ton of parents buying subscriptions for their kids.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I have 0.5M upload, thank you very much France.
And buying full price game to stream them? Nah forget it, I'd prefer having to download them instead.

Oct 30, 2017
It's not like Netflix at all. If Netflix had you pay big money just to turn it on, then the usual subscription fee and then actually buy each film separately, there wouldn't be a Netflix. I don't see how your analogy to films in the cinemas fits with what's being discussed here.

Besides, a lot of people (mostly) watch Netflix for their own content and licensed TV shows, myself included.
But if the part of the story where they say that older games will be included in the Pro sub, and you only have to buy new games, thats exactly like Netflix.

Also, this is a leak and may not be the whole story. They do have a 1st party setup, not sure how far along they are at the moment though. They will put out there own stuff, that I would might be included with the Pro sub day 1. If that happens, then this is precisely like Netflix. Or as someone said earlier, like early days netflix before they started getting their own productions on the service.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
If Xcloud is bundled with game pass and you can stream your existing digital game library at no additional cost Stadia will be DOA.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do have to buy hardware, and it will work worse, and you won't own a copy of whatever you buy.
I don't own anything I buy on Netflix, Amazon Prime and I'm ok with that. This is no different.

That hardware part: People already have TVs, phones, laptos etc it says it requires Chromecast at launch in order to work but sometime in 2020 it'll work as they have demonstrated, just internet and a TV, phone or laptop. The initial entry price in order to use it at launch isn't bad at all. For people that don't get this at launch and get it down the road, I see no reason to complain. This is the price of Netflix but for games, games that have been out for some time and if you want to experience the latest and greatest buy it, just like you would go to the theater to experience the latest and greatest along with your popcorn, candy and Coke.

I honestly see no reason to bitch about this. Mom and pop will buy into this, hardcore gamers (a smaller fraction of the pie) may be nitpicky but I'm seeing it from a logical point of view.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think its gonna be tough to convince people. I think virtually everyone here will be streaming in some capacity within a year. The thing that will be tough is convincing long time gamers to make Stadia their main platform.

It won't be other than for casuals. Getting new content will be tough because none of the third party AAA publishers want to break their content down like that and give it to someone else. If they can get hundreds of older titles then they are just competing with Plus and whatever xCloud will offer minus 1st party.

The only way I see Google doing well with this is on pricing and by making it accessible. $169 is not accessible enough. We will have to see what xCloud is first.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Not in (yet).

The business model is what I expected, makes sense and the price seems alright.

But the restriction to a Chromecast (if true) kills any interest I had in Stadia for now. The whole appeal to me was platform agnostic AAA games in up to 4k. Maybe in 2020. But by then, MS and Sony will almost certainly have unveiled and maybe even released their services and I don't see myself choosing Google if those other two offer comparable services.