• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Yo, this is a leak. Let's wait for the full story before we freak out and condemn the thing.

I'm hoping Australia is in the mix for launch countries!

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with this, though it depends on the actual numbers in question. If I'm using their hardware, it means I don't need to pay for hardware myself - so I have no objection to the idea of paying to use theirs. It just depends on the specifics.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I get the push back, but people being surprised and turned away by the fact that there's an (optional) sub for some games + having to buy other games when that's basically what MS is doing with game pass is weird. If you don't want to pay for streamable games, just say that, but the concept of sub games + paid games isn't new, and works out quite well on Xbox.

It's this bit. I think the per-game purchase is measured differently on PC/console vs streaming only. The latter is too limited and potentially inconsistent an experience.

That's the challenge a streaming-only platform has. We'll see what the per-game pricing is like however, maybe that can re-cast the value perception a bit.

None of this is too surprising though - I think maybe there was a vague idea that Google would go crazy, and invest in massive subsidies to get all their content behind an all-you-can-eat sub, but I guess that was always an unlikely outcome.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
6a5.jpg

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean this sounds exactly like Netflix to me. Are you getting the newest movies that are coming out in theaters on Netflix? You get them after a few months (A year or more in some cases maybe). You can pay to go and see the movie in the theater if you need to see it as early as possible, but if you are patient it will eventually show up on your subscription of choice.

But Netflix offers a ton of free new series and does simultaneous launches for their films. So maybe the analogy would be the early days of Netflix but without any exclusive content yet I'm skeptical.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the article especially states you can still play the games you've purchased if you cancel your sub.

Not listed in the summary, and i can't read french, so feel free to point me to the part where it states this.

Because there's not a chance in hell that they're going to let you use hardware/bandwith without compensation. If you think about this with local hardware vs. the cloud it might make more sense.

I give you a PS4 for $15 a month. You can buy all the games you want for it, but if you don't pay for the PS4, I take it back. Unless you're my best friend in the whole wide world that's really the only way that'd work, especially from a company perspective.

How about you make the sub more expensive then and just let me play all game within the sub's offered lineup? Rotate them in-and-out like Gamepass is doing.

If that little part of having to buy the games was not there, i wouldn't have an issue at all, you know.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This is the rock and the hard place of streaming services with no local play options.

You need a per-game monetisation model to attract the latest and greatest content.

People don't want to pay per-game on a streaming service, with no local play options - they want the netflix model. (Or at least this is the vibe I'm getting - maybe the market will prove me wrong!)

It would be a good option on PS Now or XCloud because people already have their libraries, that also can be played locally.

But pay $60 on a new platform to only stream is weird.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So $11.99 to access games that they cycle through the catalog (just like Netflix) and if you want to play NEW games as they release you'd have to buy them outright (like you do currently with PS+/GwG/Origin)

I am ok with this. This is basically just an alternative to what we have now without having to buy dedicated hardware for it. At $11.99 to access 31 games at launch this isn't bad at all.

Although this is a rumor/leak, I'm still excited to see what they'll have to share.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'll think of this as being hypothetical until official confirmation, but yeah, this sounds bad for Google. If true, I think they've misjudged in several areas.

I thought it would be like GamePass
With GamePass each game you download has no future cost to Microsoft. You're going to be playing it on your own native machine. Google don't have that luxury.

I think this has been a common misunderstanding from the start. There were lots of people thinking games were going to cost a flat fee despite the potential for someone to stream for hundreds or thousands of hours on Google's machines.

Wait what. Chromecast needed? So no browser on PC at launch? lol
Yeah that doesn't make sense - either the story is incorrect on that detail or Google have made a bad decision. One of the key selling points for this service should be the ability for people to jump in quickly and easily, with no hardware purchase needed. It sounds like they're planning to get to that point, but it ideally should be like that at launch.

Console players are already paying $5/mo just to play online.
That cost also includes some monthly games though (plus continuing access to your accumulated library of monthly games), as well as occasional discounts. If this pricing is correct, it's understandable for people to feel that Google aren't matching that value.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expected this service to be just a digital store so you would buy your games and stream them.

The addition of the old library is nice but the fact I would have to subscribe to play in 4k/60fps for games I have already bought is far too much of a deal breaker.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably the best pricing model a streaming service could have. If you don't care about 4K/60fps then you only have to concern yourself with the cost of the game, as the 1080p service is free.

If you're a more dedicated gamer then your subscription is the cost of 2 full-price games a year, with access to the 'PlayStation Plus'-like games, and you still have access to your games if your subscription lapses, just at a lower fidelity.

I think this will be successful for Google.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC support on the new consoles is going to utterly kneecap Stadia, especially if the subscription is only offering "older" games.

It's very tough to convince people to stream to begin with and then to offer what I think is a small amount of games will make it that much tougher. I do howvere expect Google to show off a few of their own games.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
We're saved from the gritty streaming only future for now. What a relief.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
"- Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)"

The question is, which countries? I live in EU (Hungary)

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I mean this sounds exactly like Netflix to me. Are you getting the newest movies that are coming out in theaters on Netflix? You get them after a few months (A year or more in some cases maybe). You can pay to go and see the movie in the theater if you need to see it as early as possible, but if you are patient it will eventually show up on your subscription of choice.

The big difference here is that we don't need a Netflix subscription to be able to go to the movies.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO.

B..but imagine playing and buying Fifa for 10 bucks a month and on your phone's touchscreen!

Welcome to the future yall lol

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I don't like the model but it's not crazy. Pay a sub to stream with some older games included and pay for new titles. The barrier to entry is actually lower than a traditional console but the complete feeling non ownership doesn't lend itself to premium pricing.

MS has a huge advantage here. Even if MS adds a new tier of sub for Xcloud, you can be comfortable in owning a game on that platform that will run locally on PC and Xbox.

I'm just not sure if the the target audience is big enough for game streaming in the near future. It's going to be an uphill battle for sure. I can see some core gamers sub if only to have mobile option to play the games they have but I don't see some massive movement to play AAA games on any device.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not questioning the translaton. I havent read French in forever and didnt bother. I just wasnt sure if it's free if I'm subscribing, unless it's like an opt-in thing like YouTube subs, or a limited time offer.

You need to subscribe to a "plan" if you want to use Stadia at all. There's free accounts, which are limited, and the Pro sub which includes "free" games with it.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll need to compare output of Gamepass vs Stadia. For now I remain more interested in Microsoft's offering but it's up to google to convince me otherwise.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WOW ahahahaha i never thought I'd see mention of LaPresse on Resetera, what a time to be alive

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, i never expected completely new games to be included in the sub. Still launching with just 31 games is not enough. But the biggest negative for me is that it isn't going to be available on all devices that support the chrome browser. That's the biggest selling point for me and i personally wouldn't launch the service in such an incomplete state.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's very tough to convince people to stream to begin with and then to offer what I think is a small amount of games will make it that much tougher. I do howvere expect Google to show off a few of their own games.

I don't think its gonna be tough to convince people. I think virtually everyone here will be streaming in some capacity within a year. The thing that will be tough is convincing long time gamers to make Stadia their main platform.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Business model is fucked from the get go then. The subscription was always gonna be focused around old games.
Playing new games at full price at the mercy of a stream is not ready for prime time yet.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Not listed in the summary, and i can't read french, so feel free to point me to the part where it states this.
Sure. This is what the article says: "Ces achats resteront accessibles même si le joueur abandonne son abonnement Stadia Pro" which roughly translates to "Games purchased will still be accessible if the player drops his Stadia Pro subscription".

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I think people expected the Netflix model. Bring any device you want. Play as much as you want, and on whatever device you want.

That does not look to the be the case.

It would be like Netflix requiring you to use their Netflix device and remote control for an upfront $170 price. Then a $12 "access" fee every month and then on top of that charge you for every single movie or tv show that you watch.

Netflix would not exist if that was their design.

As I understand it, they're not charging you again for "every single" game you play though, right? Does the subscription not include "older games"? Do games like Ass Creed: Odyssey and Destiny 2 not fall under that umbrella, or are you assuming it's going to cost someone at least $72 USD to play Odyssey on Stadia this November?

I've got a bit of an annual ritual of getting bored and buying up and playing a few of last year's third party blockbusters that I skipped at $20 or something over the course of a month or so. If Stadia maintains a decent roster of these types of titles, there's absolutely no way I'm going to spend that $60+ on the Xbox store when I can fire up Stadia for $12.

Also, it's going to expand other devices in the near-term. I'm not 100% on controller support, but didn't chrome recently update to support multiple console controllers? I see an article out there that Stadia is even planning to support Microsoft's adaptive controller.

Eh, I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here, but I don't think it's going to be all that difficult for Google to sell this.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Was never that interested but I am not prepared to pay full price for a streamed game let alone on top of a yearly subscription.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.

I don't get this part. So you can only play games you buy like normal so what's the point of the sub?
I assume the free sub includes the old games (imagine a free PSNow with less games and no PS exclusives) and max 1080p, but not new titles bundled. Paid $11.99/month sub upgrades it to 4K/60fps and no new games bundled. The $169 includes a Chromecast, a pad and a "new" game (Destiny 2) bundled. On top of these games you would be able to buy new ones to be streamed.

I assume that the "new" games like The Division 2, AC, etc. won't be priced as $60 games, but as a lower pricing instead because of the subscription and because you get worse quality due to the streaming compared to a console or PC.

Did you think games were not going to cost money?
Google Maps, Youtube, Google and Gmail must cost gazillions of dollars. It makes sense to expect that they would do the same with Stadia.

These services don't cost money to the users, because we pay with our data that Google then sells/sends to ads services, goverments, intelligence agencies, etc. Like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and others do.