• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
9700k is probably not good choice due to lack of hyperthreading. 9900k or AMD (eg. 3700x/3900x) is only good choices for high-end.

Intel rarely reuses motherboards between generations. AMD is better, although their AM4 is starting to get old and probably replaced too after next gen.
Shouldn't I just wait for one of these new ones now, though? Might as well.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
Think hyperthreading is being way over sold, its been around for what 15 years now and it didn't matter for games. 9700k is bench marked neck/neck with its 9900k brother and I don't see it falling off a cliff in the next couple of years because its lacks hyper threading.

It is great that intel brought it back due to competition.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Update:
videocardz.com

Intel Core i9-10900K, Core i7-10700K and Core i5-10600K marketing materials leak - VideoCardz.com

Intel Comet Lake coming April 30 Intel’s latest 14nm processor series for the mainstream desktop platform is expected this month. Our sources have confirmed that April 30, as reported by El Chapuzas Informatico, is indeed the official embargo lift date for Comet Lake-S and Z490 related content...
The materials confirm that i9-10900K will boost up to 5.3 GHz with Thermal Velocity Boost technology. As we compare the details with 10700K and 10600K promos, it is apparent that Core i7 and Core i5 do not have TVB support.

The frequencies visible in the materials are in-line with Informatica Cero's slides posted more than 3 months ago. The same slides also revealed that all three SKUs are in fact 125W TDP parts.

Intel is expected to unveil its new series on April 30. Some reviewers have already told us that they are expecting Z490 motherboard samples next week. Others have decided to tease the upcoming launch on Instagram (derbauer) or Youtube (AMTECH Studio).
Intel-Core-i9-10900K-Specs.jpg

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looking forward to seeing the single thread/core i9-10900k benchmarks against the i9-9900k.

Not much interested in the two additional cores that won't be used much for gaming, but the single thread/core boost could be useful.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I've been waiting to upgrade my CPU but if these are super expensive I'll just stick to my current CPU for a while longer.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
14nm++++++++++++++++++ so no thanks Intel.

Id rather get a Ryzen 4000 once the come out by the end of the year.

Last edited:

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I'm waiting for intel 10nm or 7nm but it seems that it will not be avaible before 2022 maybe ?
Same for zen 4 in 5nm...

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Bro the wattage is insane O_O.

Your cooling system is gonna have to be on point lmao

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see benchmarks of Zen 3 vs Intel 10th gen later this year.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
GamersNexus had their own small scoop on this series, with more info coming this week from them.

youtu.be

HW News - Intel Z490 10-Core Thermals, DDR5-8400 RAM, NVIDIA Out of GDDR5

Hardware news discusses Intel's thermal solution for the 10-core CPU, with silicon now shorter, and DDR5 memory production.Sponsor: Corsair's Hydro X Water L...

steve here looks like a ninja master who was just reproached and the camera is about to snap zoom to his reaction

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
Look at all those cores and threads even on the i5s. Thank you AMD for getting your shit together and offering great competition with Ryzen. Great example of why marketplace competition is good.

Even when AMD had its shit together, Intel found other ways to undermine marketplace competition.

History is a wonderful subject.

AMD at least tries to push the market forward in other ways, even if they can't keep up on the nanoscale front. Where would Sony be today without AMD yesterday?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
10nm++++++++++++++++++ so no thanks Intel.

Id rather get a Ryzen 4000 once the come out by the end of the year.

If only it even got down to 10.
Intel is still stuck with 14 mate.

Can't wait to see benchmarks of Zen 3 vs Intel 10th gen later this year.

You want to be a witness to a crime?
Nobody wants to see that Murder when Zen 2 is already comfortably dancing with the 10th gen.

UuPhy0G.jpg

index.php

index.php

Disclaimer: these are unoptimized tests on unoptimized motherboard.....but you wont see a huge difference between these results and finals.
Zen 3 should very easily walk the 10th gen home.

And we are already struggling to keep 8/16 cool....how the eff are we gonna keep 10/20 cool of the i9?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Out of curiosity, do you guys collaborate with GN guys?

Had some cross promotion shoutouts in few videos. Them advising people to yours direction and you to theirs :b
I have talked with them on twitter a few times in DM to confirm results or weird software behaviour we both are reporting on - but generally I am just a fan of GN as much as the next person!

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
"The materials confirm that i9-10900K will boost up to 5.3 GHz"

Yikes. AMD sticks to 105W and delivers great results year after year, while Intel is stuck on 14nm for ages. This 5.3GHz will probably run for minute or two before throttling down, and will require insane power draw.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Even when AMD had its shit together, Intel found other ways to undermine marketplace competition.

History is a wonderful subject.

AMD at least tries to push the market forward in other ways, even if they can't keep up on the nanoscale front. Where would Sony be today without AMD yesterday?
Intel seems to be doing the same as they did in early 2000s, but now with the laptop market.

Ryzen 4000 series is around the corner, y'all.

Mar 22, 2020
Just imagine what intel will do with amd when they get to 7nm
I'm yet to see actual products or announcements from Intel on that end. They did hire the most qualified person for the job, but it still gets very awkward. Intel has a great lead in clock speed because they used and improved over the same node for generations. Don't expect their clockspeed to carry over to 7nm, they'll compensate with IPC just like AMD does.

Intel throttles horribly on laptops, it's only a matter of time for them to also do that on desktops (it's already more or less the case as reviewers use out of spec boost motherboards and exotic cooling for it).

I'm out of the loop with CPUs - do we know why Intel is still on 14nm?
Intel had no interest in taking larger risks until AMD released, and they had continuously larger requests for 14nm. At the same time, they also had very hard goals on 7nm or 10nm to make it worth their while, but they didn't found clock speed and yields to come close to reasonable margins. 7nm also meant they had to switch to EUV, and only lately did they finally reached a convenient place for it. They made a few 10nm chips, fulfilled their order, then stopped. They also had to change a few fabs from 10 or 7nm to 14nm, to make more 14nm chips to keep up with demand. They had very poor planning on a few fronts, and they keep pushing 7nm further: last announcement, it was ~2021.
Since 5nm was in risk production at TSMC for a long time now, it's fair to expect AMD caught up on the process node, and it's gonna be a fair fight from now on.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
"The materials confirm that i9-10900K will boost up to 5.3 GHz"

Yikes. AMD sticks to 105W and delivers great results year after year, while Intel is stuck on 14nm for ages. This 5.3GHz will probably run for minute or two before throttling down, and will require insane power draw.
In fairness, anyone buying these will be sticking it under a top-end cooler anyway, so probably not an issue.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia may actually price their Ampere lineup competitively this year. They're going up against Big Navi, PS5 / Series X and potentially Intel's desktop GPUs as well.
I hope it's like that, I don't want to pay too much for a 3070.
But Intel GPU efforts won't be competitive at least for some years.
These CPUs are going to be hot as fuck lol
Every + they add at the end of 14nm is another degree extra of heat.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Probably getting a new CPU/mobo in the next year. Intel having hyperthreading on all SKUs is great, but from what I can see, they're still locking overclocking behind the "K" models. At this point, I'll probably be going with a Ryzen 7 4700X, coming from an i5-6600K [email protected] 1.28V.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I still remember the NetBurst days when Intel was struggling to reach 4 GHz as a base clock and now they're All-core Turbo boosting beyond that with ease.
Yeah but it's been like ~15 years since then. In the 15 years prior to that they had clock speeds increase by a factor of like 20x

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Top end cooler is not going to help power draw. It's crazy Intel is still pushing 14nm CPUs in 2020 against AMD's 7nm and refined 7nm later this year.
The power draw is literally turning to heat. If you've got the board that can deliver it and a cooler to match, it shouldn't be an issue. No one is buying these to run on a Hxx board with a stock cooler.

Also, I think Intel's 14nm is a lot denser than comparative processes IIRC so not as wide as it appears by looking at 7 v 14nm?