• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you upgrade to iPhone 11 models?

• Yes, I’m ready

Votes: 185 22.0%
  • No, too soon for me to upgrade to this year’s models

Votes: 203 24.1%
  • No, I’m not interested in those upgrades

Votes: 411 48.9%
  • Other

Votes: 42 5.0%

• Total voters

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
very weird that this is a numbered upgrade instead of an S upgrade, yet the changes are basically what one would expect out of an S upgrade. Everyone saying 2020 is the big changes, do you think they'll jump strait to iPhone 12 or call the big upgrade 11s still?

They did this from the 6S to 7, where it looked almost the same. The only changes were water resistance, no headphone jack, Plus had two cameras on the back, haptic home button and a spec bump. Phone looked basically the same.

They did it again from 7 to 8, where they did another spec bump, screen upgrade and added wireless charging.

It's intentional to get people who are used to the upgrade cycle to probably feel like they are getting a meaningful upgrade.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I think the 8 is this really well refined version of the original 6 design, it's a great phone.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
iPhone -> iPhone 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> 6 Plus -> 6S Plus -> 7 Plus -> X -> XS Max...

... I've pretty much purchased every single iPhone except some early models when I was on a 2yr subsidizing contract. But truly, I think this might be the very first one I skip in a long while, and I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Plan. It's just... so damn unexciting. A slightly better camera and... that's it? It'll still be behind the Pixel, and I have a nice prosumer camera when I'm actually wanting to take pictures. I mean... it seems the ONLY thing they're pushing as "new" is the camera? All their eggs in that one basket?

I get it, we've moved on from a phone every year - it's unnecessary. But no doubt apple still banks on people doing it... and this ain't gonna get me as it is.

Revolver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't buy another phone until they put the front facing camera behind the screen. These notches and camera holes are an absolute turn off for me.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
iPhone -> iPhone 3GS -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> 6 Plus -> 6S Plus -> 7 Plus -> X -> XS Max...

... I've pretty much purchased every single iPhone except some early models when I was on a 2yr subsidizing contract. But truly, I think this might be the very first one I skip in a long while, and I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Plan. It's just... so damn unexciting. A slightly better camera and... that's it? It'll still be behind the Pixel, and I have a nice prosumer camera when I'm actually wanting to take pictures. I mean... it seems the ONLY thing they're pushing as "new" is the camera? All their eggs in that one basket?

I get it, we've moved on from a phone every year - it's unnecessary. But no doubt apple still banks on people doing it... and this ain't gonna get me as it is.
It will also have a new processor and a larger battery.
the only thing that remains the same is the chassis.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It will also have a new processor and a larger battery.
the only thing that remains the same is the chassis.

I hadn't seen anything about a larger battery. It's not in the article unless I'm blind and my CTRL+F is wonky?

And the new processor is completely unnecessary at this point. Don't get me wrong - I'm ALL FOR advancing tech, and it has to be iterative. I'll happily upgrade my GPU each gen (went from a 1080 to 2080, for example) and think there's value in spending an extra $200 on a 9900k for the 5% better FPS. But the current iPhone XS Max struggles on NOTHING. The OS just doesn't offer anything that can tax the device. Games are all silkly smooth 60fps if designed to be. My Excel docs launch instantly. RAM? You can always use more. But my XS Max has not hiccuped even one single time since getting it from a processing standpoint - and I throw a lot at it. On the iPad with dual-window and real multi-tasking and the bigger screen? Yup, great! But the iPhone's OS just doesn't let you do a whole lot to demand ever increasing CPU advances each year.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I hadn't seen anything about a larger battery. It's not in the article unless I'm blind and my CTRL+F is wonky?

And the new processor is completely unnecessary at this point. Don't get me wrong - I'm ALL FOR advancing tech, and it has to be iterative. I'll happily upgrade my GPU each gen (went from a 1080 to 2080, for example) and think there's value in spending an extra $200 on a 9900k for the 5% better FPS. But the current iPhone XS Max struggles on NOTHING. The OS just doesn't offer anything that can tax the device. Games are all silkly smooth 60fps if designed to be. My Excel docs launch instantly. RAM? You can always use more. But my XS Max has not hiccuped even one single time since getting it from a processing standpoint - and I throw a lot at it. On the iPad with dual-window and real multi-tasking and the bigger screen? Yup, great! But the iPhone's OS just doesn't let you do a whole lot to demand ever increasing CPU advances each year.
The faster processor is actually so that it completes tasks quicker, leading to more cpu downtime which in turns leads to a longer charge on the same battery. Also it helps give the phone longevity.
the battery capacity increase was a separate, different rumor.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The faster processor is actually so that it completes tasks quicker, leading to more cpu downtime which in turns leads to a longer charge on the same battery. Also it helps give the phone longevity.
the battery capacity increase was a separate, different rumor.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I actually agree with that point. But at the end of the day, my point is that how I experience the phone each day will not change at all going from a XS MAX ago an 11 Max. A CPU bump will not give me any better performance (as rumored now; I'd be game if there was split screen multitasking or a 120hz screen); and it completing tasks faster to save battery means shit if it's a 5% or so increase. I end my day at 20% most nights after a full day. 5% in either direction doesn't change anything for most.

Again, im merely stating for me - this poll is a very easy one to answer; and it seems most agree with me. It's a boring update.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Notch design feels so outdated and Camera setup looks super ugly to me, Android phones have searched for new solutions to this problems while iPhone will have 3 iterations with the same design.

I've been an iPhone user since 4 but on Prime day I decided it was enough, while I don't minded expending a bit more to keep using iOS now it's more than twice the price for a phone that feels outdated.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Notch design feels so outdated and Camera setup looks super ugly to me, Android phones have searched for new solutions to this problems while iPhone will have 3 iterations with the same design.

I've been an iPhone user since 4 but on Prime day I decided it was enough, while I don't minded expending a bit more to keep using iOS now it's more than twice the price for a phone that feels outdated.

Oh are there android phones with Face ID now? That's super cool that they solved the notch thing so quickly while implementing comparable tech. Maybe I'll switch soon who knows.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
As someone on 6S and has been considering an upgrade for a while ( I was seriously considering XR but ultimately the size was just too big for my taste ) - is it worth upgrading this year?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
As someone on 6S and has been considering an upgrade for a while ( I was seriously considering XR but ultimately the size was just too big for my taste ) - is it worth upgrading this year?
Well, the sizes are the same, and the differences between 2018 models and these ones appear to be just in the camera and the new taptic touch system, at least for the moment. So, unless those are important features for you, the same pros and cons from the XR are here.

The 2020 models are "supposedly" the big leap forward. But who knows lol

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
my wife still uses her 6s, and if I'm using it for some reason it's a nice trip back in time. The newer iPhones are a huge upgrade with FaceID and the bezel-less display, so that the 2019 model will be even better if they improve the current formula.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
System performance will be just a little bit faster because the 6S is still a very capable phone but the huge difference will be in the camera department, already with the XS it would a huge leap because of software magic like smart hdr... if this year the leap is even a quarter of the X->XS you are in for a treat.
If you use 3D touch probably that department would be a downgrade since they are dropping it, you also have to see how FaceID works for you since it's highly subjective.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
System performance will be just a little bit faster because the 6S is still a very capable phone but the huge difference will be in the camera department, already with the XS it would a huge leap because of software magic like smart hdr... if this year the leap is even a quarter of the X->XS you are in for a treat.
If you use 3D touch probably that department would be a downgrade since they are dropping it, you also have to see how FaceID works for you since it's highly subjective.
Apple did a fantastic job with the performance optimizations for older phones in iOS 10 (was it 10?). Even the older phones feel good and fast.

For me, beside the really fantastic camera, using iOS without a button but gestures is maybe the best part. I just love it, much better than the button.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i just can't get used to these ugly square camera bumps with 3 lenses. iphone + pixel phones will have them this year. absolutely disgusting.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Apple started the notch trend and now getting left behind as they still continue that design that feels so outdated now...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
WTF?
How have they not figured this one out?

This was the best Apple had been in terms of design.
Arent the iPad Pros still using a design language closer to this?

SE was an affordable iphone. They woudln't be able to do edge to edge with an LCD I think, and OLED would push the price way out of 'affordable' range.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Apple fans usually convince themselves that iPhone's pixels are somehow better than pixels from other manufacturers (I'm being serious here) and no more resolution is needed for iPhones.
It has nothing to do with apple fans. 830p with RGB pixels is better than 830p with a pentile matrix.

I had the following devices the last 12 months and can tell you that this whole display story is overblown.
- iPhone X
- Samsung galaxy S10+
- Pixel 3a
- iPhone XR

The display is sharp and has good colours. The only problem I see with the XR are the big bezels. This device is fast, has a good battery and yes, a good display.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Well, the sizes are the same, and the differences between 2018 models and these ones appear to be just in the camera and the new taptic touch system, at least for the moment. So, unless those are important features for you, the same pros and cons from the XR are here.

The 2020 models are "supposedly" the big leap forward. But who knows lol

I held out some hope that 11R could be XS in size, but alas.

Fingers crossed that new non-Pro iPads for 2020 will have new design and Pencil 2 support.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I may just hang onto my iPhone X for a while. The XS camera upgrades were nice, and it looks like this will improve things in that department as well, but none of that has a big impact on getting me to hurry up an upgrade, especially when it'd mean abandoning 3D Touch.

Curious about the rumors of improved battery life, though, and I guess I'm curious to see what's different about the haptics (this report is VERY vague on that front). If this phone includes an 18W USB-C to Lightning charger, that's nice too.

I don't need this years - even if the camera is a big jump forwards. But I'll need to figure out at what point my X start to fall off a cliff in terms of resale value. Wondering whether to jump on the upgrade program for a year for that reason. Alternatively I sit on my X for another year, get the hopefully new design in 2020 and hand my X down to my son who is currently on a 6S so thats probably losing ios updates next year?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It has nothing to do with apple fans. 830p with RGB pixels is better than 830p with a pentile matrix.

I had the following devices the last 12 months and can tell you that this whole display story is overblown.
- iPhone X
- Samsung galaxy S10+
- Pixel 3a
- iPhone XR

The display is sharp and has good colours. The only problem I see with the XR are the big bezels. This device is fast, has a good battery and yes, a good display.

YeAh BUT aPPlE fANs tHOUgH

The phone wars are so embarrassing and it's always a bit shocking to see how many people here still engage in that sort of behavior whenever an iPhone thread pops up

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple started the notch trend and now getting left behind as they still continue that design that feels so outdated now...
Apple has a business model and sticks to it, part of the reason they are so successful. R&D for whole new iPhone designs is amortized over the course of 2-3 years at least, during which those designs get mostly just new internal components yearly and better cameras. Makes perfect business sense as the notch is probably not hurting sales. Next year there's a new design, no need to scramble. Smartphone is now a wayyyyy matured industry in which people keep their devices for longer and longer and yearly "innovations" hardly register on the radar.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, still no USB C. Nothing to see here. Also it took em long enough to incorporate a wide angle lens. Seems like that's been a requested feature by people for years.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Pixel 3, and pretty happy with it to be honest. That being said, my wife recently got the IPhone XS Max and its a really nice phone, so I'm tempted to get something from Apple next year.

We'll see what else comes up. But those upgrades are not enough yet.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

I think it's partly that we've hit a tech plateau for now but also the fact that XS (Max) is just a flawlessly executed product. I've never owned a tech product as good as the XS. Well, iPad Pro 2018 comes close. Apple just "gets it" in my opinion.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
YeAh BUT aPPlE fANs tHOUgH

The phone wars are so embarrassing and it's always a bit shocking to see how many people here still engage in that sort of behavior whenever an iPhone thread pops up
I will say most of those who start the Tirade about those products never had it in their hands for more then a minute. But that's how those threads work.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have my 7+ paid off, I might consider upgrading to an X if the price is right after the 11 releases.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as people know and can tell I have the latest model, that's all I want

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt they use the iPad Pro design language on the 11R or call it the 11SE?

Sure but the ipads have massive bezels. Tiny for ipads but massive for phones. Like the XR you can't roll under the LCD like the X/XS do with OLED so you need space in the bezel for the edge of the screen. If SE is LCD (for price I assume it would have to be) you'll need more like XR size bezels

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sure but the ipads have massive bezels. Tiny for ipads but massive for phones. Like the XR you can't roll under the LCD like the X/XS do with OLED so you need space in the bezel for the edge of the screen. If SE is LCD (for price I assume it would have to be) you'll need more like XR size bezels

hmhm.
I smell ya.
One can dream though...Apple releases a Ipad Pro design language 11R with OLED for a "kinder" price.
Hell Ill stomach a bezel for that design language in powerful(ish) phone. LCD doesnt need massive massive bezels...and it is mean to be the base of base model iPhones after all.