• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Intel seems to have dropped all plans for a 10nm desktop processor launch and are now aiming to release 7nm desktop processors in 2022. The information comes from Hardwareluxx who have got a tip from their trustworthy insiders that Intel's 10nm line of processors would miss out on a desktop launch entirely and users who are waiting for sub-14nm processors from Intel would have to wait till 2022.

The report says that Intel's 10nm supply just isn't enough to handle mass markets such as desktop at the moment which is why they will be offering 14nm replacements up till 2022. There are two 'S' desktop families which we already know about that include Comet Lake-S (2020) and Rocket Lake-S (2021). Both lineups would be built on enhanced 14nm nodes and would offer a decent single-core and multi-core performance given the added number of cores and threads which many consumers are expecting.

This simply means that an Intel 10nm desktop launch is out of the question but where does Intel go with 7nm? Well, rumor has it that Intel's replacement to Rocket Lake-S would be Meteor Lake-S. The new processor lineup would be the first desktop outing since 2015's Broadwell to be based on a new process node and not a variation of 14nm (+++). The rumor mill has also hinted that while the Rocket Lake-S lineup would be based on 14nm, it is likely that Intel would port their newer core architecture down to 14nm to add some much-needed performance increments.

More information here
Take it with a grain of salt of course..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cWhGMDG.png

who's ready for 14++++++++++++? this is AMD's time to shine. don't fuck this up

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they're struggling with 10nm, why wouldn't they struggle with 7nm?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

7's half of 14 so they'll just cut their CPUs in half. 14 down to 10, you've got to measure it out with a tiny ruler so you don't cut off too much or too little. I don't know anything about computers.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess I am sticking with my 9700k till 2022.

Either that or I am going to have To switch out my MOBO and go Amd.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Intel 7nm is likely equivalent to TSMC 5nm so as long as they hit that timeline, they should be safe

Miss 2022 and AMD is just going to tear into their marketshare

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
IPC is on par, so it's only clock speed that still gains, and the difference is not that high, would not call that "low". Multi core performance AMD smashes Intel on all price ranges, from low end to Epic cpus.
I have a Ryzen 7 3700X It can't sustain even 4.3 on all cores with decent voltage.

Best i ever see one core with PBO and Auto OC was 4393 MHZ.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Because with 7nm Intel will be using EUV lithographie, making it far easier to draw fine details and to simplify process steps.
Intel spoke about 4 times less design rules for 7nm vs. 10nm.
Intel-2019-7nm-a27c079ace515128.jpeg

In general Intel will intercept a lot of the learnings from 10nm and their design choices and will make adjustments for the 7nm specification.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm going to rock my 6600K for quite a while!

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
What's happens after 1nm?
Hard to say right now, how viable die shrinks will be. At some point they will hit a wall and they have to be creative.

True, but having issues right no
Compared to Intel? yes... most because they can't sustain high clocks...

I thoughed, having issues with sustaining high clocks is an issue with a small node like TSMC
s 7nm in general. Wouldn't Intel run in similar issues with their 10/7nm fab?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are all replies jokes or serious can't tell? will gpus and cpus just stop improving at 1nm then? So we're like 10 years away from hitting a wall?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Even on ULV laptop parts they still have 14nm products along side 10nm, as if it wasn't confusing enough. IceLake quantity seems to be very limited and it's only shipping on uber expensive ultrabooks like Dell XPS 2-in-1 (XPS13 refresh has 14nm! part, if you don't do your homework you easily miss it), surface line or probably the upcoming macbooks. Everything else is a rebrand practically. Even then Icelake part are not faster, they have a lot slower clock speeds yet battery life doesn't seem to have improved much. The main selling point is their iGPU which is pretty decent.

I am expecting for 11th gen, they will be like hey hyper threading is now back on i7 because they got nothing else. 10th desktop part seem completely useless, it's just practically a rebrand, it's not a new product.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL

Intel would be taking the lessons they learned from 10nm on top of using EUV. They will also be less aggressive with the overall performance and area efficiency requirements, so the process will be more manageable to get up and running.

It seems like the big issues with 10nm consisted of using way too many new and complex process technologies on top of trying to reach extremely aggressive performance and area targets. Iif I recall correctly, Intel had similar issues with 14nm at the beginning of its life (of course not as bad). They, however, had the benefit of having no worthwhile competition from AMD then.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't you be switching mobos everytime you swap Intel CPUs anyways?

yes, maybe now that they are pressured they change but right now if you are building a desktop AMD platform just makes far more sense. AM4 has another generation to go and the one after that could have really long legs.

Oct 25, 2017
Are all replies jokes or serious can't tell? will gpus and cpus just stop improving at 1nm then? So we're like 10 years away from hitting a wall?
With our current manufacturing methods we will hit a wall. There is a limit to how close you can pack silicon atoms together before physics start working against you(look up quantum tunneling).