• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That, I think, is the most far-fetched rumour I've heard in years.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine the EU (and other territories) would have something to say about this.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
If that is true, there'd essentially be zero competition in the market for CPU's right?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Intel has a market cap 10x higher than AMD
200b vs 20b USD

This is not good if true

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
If by some chance this happens. Would this effect consoles in a big way? Or is there a possibility that they would be able to still do their own thing? Would they have to go-to Nvidia? Apologies for such a silly question!

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This won't and more than likely in a legal sense, can't happen.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You sure? Don't see why it wouldn't be. There are other processor manufactures out there, just ones that target different markets. Even then, Linux is running on Qualcomm CPUs so AMD/Intel aren't even the only companies that support desktop operating systems at this point.

Also there's been the rumour over the last year or so that Apple would/will be breaking into the desktop CPU market for their products.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Even the article itself doesn't consider this more than an unsubstantiated rumor. You can always find some people who entertain the possibility because the chip market grew way beyond desktop CPUs, but that's about it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest Intel GPU division is more-less assembled from ex AMD GPU division devs.

Oct 25, 2017
What? :o

I choose you, Satya Nadella!
To the rescue!
1200px-Satya_smiling-print.jpg

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
oh damn, that would be crazy.
PS5 999$ incoming...
tbh this could very negatively effect pricing so i really dont like it....
why are people saying this move is illegal?

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pure nonsense. It makes no sense to buy them at this point, and even if it did, Intel doesn't really have the cash for a $20-$30B aquisition (which is the current market cap of AMD. Intel have $3.4B in cash as of their Q3 report). Also, this would lead to a near monopoly in the desktop CPU space, which would be a huge no-go from the government.

The whole article is junk though, filled with speculation and "great topics for idle conversation". It's nothing. I expected more from EET.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that noise.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
FTC would never allow it. They might be able to acquire the graphics division, but CPU no way.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh i don't think intel has the money honestly. AMD is a billion dollar a year company. Intel would have to pay out the ass for a hostile take over.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reading that article they seem to say that Intel actually is looking to "buy" their CEO more than anything else, Intel is currently without a CEO since the last guy resigned a couple of months ago.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
As just about everyone else has said, has to be illegal as all hell. Would be a straight up monopoly.