• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The "nanometer" number is just a label. It doesn't correspond to any physical dimension of the processor. You can only assume lower number = better when comparing different families of nodes from the same manufacturing company.

Intel's 10nm process has been massively troubled in it's production timelines (it was supposed to be on shelves in like 2016, which if it had been would have been exceptional and industry leading). But as a process, you cannot assume it has similarities to TSMC or Samsung's 10nm processes - Intel's 10nm process is approximately 5% denser than TSMC's 7nm node. Intel 7nm (due to be in production for early items around the same time Alder lake is launching in the desktop CPU space) is expected to be more comparable in density to TSMC 5nm and related processes.

Intel's first generation 10nm was so broken they shipped one single barely functional product to Chinese OEMs. The first proper release was 10nm Ice Lake in 2019. This year, we're getting 10nm+ Tiger Lake. The "+" names are just what we see in marketing, but internally, Intel iterates every process every year, whether or not they choose to assign a label "+" or "++" to it. Over 2019-Q1-2020, major strides were made with the node, resulting in less process leakage and fewer defects on wafers / higher yields. This is allowing a broader release for Tigerlake compared to Icelake, and also TGL processors will have much higher clockspeeds.

Intel 7nm is according to all signs running on schedule, which means it will be "ready" in 2022 - as in, products will ship on it. GPUs and possibly some laptop parts. But it probably won't clock as high as 2022's heavily refined 10nm node. This will mean they have a choice - either ship products that use less power, or ship products that perform better. For Desktop consumer CPUs, that's no contest - people obviously would on average greatly prefer the higher performance chip in that space.

My advice is to stop worrying about who has what nm product, and simply look at reviews, benchmarks and pricing as your determinant of which product is better. For someone strictly focussed on high refresh rate gaming performance, Intel's extremely refined but very old 14nm process using their 2015 vintage Skylake architecture is still yielding more powerful products compared to AMD's 2019 architecture using TSMC's cutting edge process. Just an example, but you can't look at this roadmap and assume that Intel's Q1 2022 Alder Lake is going to be a shit product. Maybe it will be! Maybe it won't! But you can't know yet.

Interesting, thanks for the run down. Sounds like this competition is really going to heat up.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Havent been following Intel much as of late but werent they saying pcie4 was a waste of time?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Another year another socket for Intel lol
But I'm most interested in the little.BIG architecture. Remains to be seen if it works as well as in phones.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first I've heard of x86 big.little processors. I hope this will make x86 Laptops more competitive with ARM standby times. For DDR5 to have a big effect on Ryzen, won't the 3600mhz limit on Infinity Fabric coupling have to be raised?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This is the first I've heard of x86 big.little processors. I hope this will make x86 Laptops more competitive with ARM standby times. For DDR5 to have a big effect on Ryzen, won't the 3600mhz limit on Infinity Fabric coupling have to be raised?

Renoir is already showing stabler higher IF frequencies. Zen 3 should continue the trend.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
In 2022 this needs to launch with PCIE 5.0 and USB 4. Hopefully this changes or AMD has it.