• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This rumor has been making the rounds on Star Wars Twitter these past few hour so take with the entire ocean worth of salt.

Apparently coming from this source which claims to have a source at LFL:
lrmonline.com

Hera Syndulla To Replace Cara Dune On Rangers Of The New Republic? Exclusive

Hera Syndulla could be making her live-action debut in Rangers of the New Republic! It has been an interesting couple of months for Lucasfilm and The

LRM's source over at Lucasfilm has told us that creatives are looking to bring in Hera Syndulla as the bridge to connect the show to The Mandalorian universe. Production of Rangers is still a while away. However, the issue creatives are running into is finding time to introduce a new character and connect to the Mandoverse. Hera was first introduced in the animated Star Wars Rebels show as a pilot of the Ghost and an early leader in the Rebellion. Her character has also been included with a brief mention in the movie Rogue One and in the video game campaign of Squadrons.

Regardless of it being true or not, What are your thoughts on the idea?
Personally I think
8WRj.gif

I doubt scriptwriting has started for the show so a big change like this is something I can see happening early on.

It would be a HUGE character upgrade over Cara Dune. Hera is a much better character that is actually likeable, has an interesting backstory that is similar enough to Dune's and would neatly connect with "Ahsoka" which is rumored to have the character of Ezra Bridger from Rebels too.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hera's gotten a fair amount of exposure in recent media - she was in Squadrons, and she shows up in the Alphabet Squadron books. I'm not sure if she should be anchoring a show like this - my impression from the title is that it would be more of an anthology that would bounce around to different people working for the NR. I could definitely see her making an appearance or appearances in that capacity, presumably with a name actor ala Ahsoka.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find that the Twilek makeup always looks kind of weird in live-action. Maybe they'd step up their game for the lead, or maybe it's an unsolvable problem.

But I'll show up for anything Hera, so...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hera's gotten a fair amount of exposure in recent media - she was in Squadrons, and she shows up in the Alphabet Squadron books. I'm not sure if she should be anchoring a show like this - my impression from the title is that it would be more of an anthology that would bounce around to different people working for the NR. I could definitely see her making an appearance or appearances in that capacity, presumably with a name actor ala Ahsoka.
She could be a framing device, she is good at organizing and running guerrilla cells. The stories could come in as a form of report to her or a story she tells.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Isn't this show supposed to have several protagonists with Dune being the connection to the larger Star Wars universe (ie Mando)? I think I read something like that.

Hera would be a MUCH better connective tissue as she is both a child survivor of the Clone Wars, a Rebellion member and has ties to Thrawn.

Cara Dune...she was from Alderaan I guess?

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
As if there isn't already enough reasons why casuals need to watch Rebels already lol.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well that would be appropriate since between this, Rebels, Squadrons and the Ghost showing up at pretty much every major fleet engagement, Hera is carrying the New Republic on her back.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hera and her ship the Ghost make an appearance right alongside Lando and the Falcon in TROS. So ready for more Hera. She is a strong character who has had her wins and loses and be a good role model

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Spoilers/questions from rebels

doesn't Hera have a kid now? How would that work?

I mean...

Jacen is pretty much a member of the crew by the fall of the Empire, so maybe he's in the background somewhere on the Ghost or they just say he's training somewhere safe during missions if he's brought up.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah let's do it. Give me live action Jacen Syndulla while we're at it

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So... who are we assuming Sabine will be played by? I would find it odd if she didn't show up here or in the Ahsoka show.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Sounds fake. First, who the hell is Irmonline? Second of all, "However, the issue creatives are running into is finding time to introduce a new character and connect to the Mandoverse."?? They have a whole TV show to introduce the character, yet they have no time to introduce one. A show that will presumably have multiple new characters? And to solve this problem they're bringing in a character they'll have to introduce to all the people who don't watch cartoons anyway?

Hera is also a completely different character than Cara. She's all in on fighting for the Rebellion/Republic, while Cara is still reluctant to get back in. Someone like Mayfeld makes more sense to replace her.

Not that I'd hate this. Hera is great and her coming in means Chopper and Jacen are around, too. Plus we could get a reunion with Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka in the crossover show then. Just gotta get Zeb in somehow.

Though, to be honest, I'd expect Hera in this show either way.

I doubt scriptwriting has started for the show so a big change like this is something I can see happening early on.
I doubt this. The show seems to be next year. Script writing has most likely started.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I find that the Twilek makeup always looks kind of weird in live-action. Maybe they'd step up their game for the lead, or maybe it's an unsolvable problem.

Personally, I think this has more to do with the skin tones. Green, orange, red, etc. are not skin colors that look normal to us, so it's going to look ridiculous no matter what. It's why such alien species usually look better animated than in live-action shows.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care about the show with Cara in it, wouldn't care if this character is added in to replace her.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Hera seems way too senior a figure to fill Dune's role, but she could be pretty cool as the chief/captain/etc type role.

Oct 25, 2017

I think the Mando makeup team just needs some work understanding the original design because it has looked fine previously
latest

latest

vs

latest

latest

lyn-me.jpg

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This sure feels like folks trying to wish some fancasting into existence 🤔

Anywho, i'm unsure if Lucasfilm really wants two shows with "weird tentacle hat prosthetic wearing protagonists with painted skin" at the same time.

484df9478bfdcae6d22b2ea6c34643c7.jpg

latest

Also, has any live action Twi'Lek ever looked good?

74463.png

edit: haha Razgriz-Specter - good post! but i still think they all look silly. 😅 - especially in movement.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I like Hera the character and I welcome that they'll now have the chance to cast someone who can actually act for the lead role. But I don't want this to be Rebels 2, so I could do without the rest of the crew of showing up. Let's have something new.

Oct 26, 2017
I literally found out about this character for the first time five minutes before reading this

what a weird coincidence