• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
A lot of people seem to dislike Sekiro, unfortunately. I hope we can at least get a DLC, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a sequel.

I'm a die hard Miyazaki fan. I respect his vision for Sekiro, but... yeah, very strange design decisions on that one.

A sequel could shape up better, but yeah, it's a goner.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
No, Sekiro's biggest mistake was being punishingly, stupidly difficult and putting far too much emphasis on perfect deflect timing.

Some people are just never gonna be that good at deflects, and they offer very few viable strategies for taking some of the game's most frustrating bosses beyond "get better at parries".
Some people are never going to get good at rolling or I-frames.

Different games for different needs.

Me, I'm terrible at both.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I'm a die hard Miyazaki fan. I respect his vision for Sekiro, but... yeah, very strange design decisions on that one.

Critically and commercially acclaimed, best launch for a fromsoft game ever, their 1st IP they own themselves in along time and it is a goner? Makes sense I guess

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sekiro is pretty unique, and you really have to enjoy that type of combat. I didn't, like many others obviously (reading this thread). And that has nothing to do with the fact that it's not another souls game and different, but that it's not fun to me to L1-deflect my way through the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mistake? Good lord, how dare you make something different and not doing another game with the same mechanics for a decade.

They could've added some OTHER mechanics for people whose reflexes aren't perfect. That's the problem: a good half of the encounters in the game are "parry or die".

The game didn't need to be identical to Souls, but what made Souls fun was the variety of options. Sekiro lacks any options or diversity in play-style in favor of railroading you down a very specific track.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
No, Sekiro's biggest mistake was being punishingly, stupidly difficult and putting far too much emphasis on perfect deflect timing.

Some people are just never gonna be that good at deflects, and they offer very few viable strategies for taking some of the game's most frustrating bosses beyond "get better at parries".
The parry window is extremely lenient and easily mashable. I've got dumb hands and arthritis but I still found the game manageable. Plus a good number of bosses can be cheesed completely trivializing any perceived difficulty.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was excited for this, but... no Miyazaki + preset characters again + Sekiro being pretty disappointing for me personally.
I love From, and I can understand them trying to change-up the Souls formula, but the elements they're going about reinventing are the ones they'd already perfected.

Bloodborne preserved what was great about Souls while still feeling very different at it's core. From has yet to replicate that success in my eyes.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

What about those who enjoys deflecting? Isn't this game for them?

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
They could've added some OTHER mechanics for people whose reflexes aren't perfect. That's the problem: a good half of the encounters in the game are "parry or die".

Why they should have to add other mechanics? Is there a written rule that you should add new mechanics?
You have several tools to deal with the enemies, it's not always "parry or die".

We are going OT, stick to the thread now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The parry window is extremely lenient and easily mashable. I've got dumb hands and arthritis but I still found the game manageable. Plus a good number of bosses can be cheesed completely trivializing any perceived difficulty.

Try beating the final boss without good parry skills. Yes. Some god-level action gamers can do it, but not all of us are that good or want to spend that much of our lives practicing that.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
This narrative that GRRM is a bad writer is just baffling to me. The guy's world building is second to none.

Really interested in this game. Potential game?

i am so glad I didn't read this thread enough to see people saying GRRM is a bad writer. it'd just drive up my blood pressure and i can't be bothered trying to win more Internet wars. probably the best fantasy writer of his generation, IMO, and an absolutely, almost impossibly, subtle weaver of worlds and intrigue. a game with his name on it is basically a guarantee I'll invest in a system if I need to. Goddamnit From.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is the worst game From put out this generation.

JP3POGj.png

Critically and commercially acclaimed, best launch for a fromsoft game ever, their 1st IP they own themselves in along time and it is a goner? Makes sense I guess

People acting like Sekiro was ''bad'' is just a ERA bubble thing, just like many other stupid statments.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why they should have to add other mechanics? Is there a written rule that you should add new mechanics?
You have several tools to deal with the enemies, it's not always "parry or die".

We are going OT, stick to the thread now.

Fair enough. I still maintain I'm not happy about this because I don't like vikings or open world games, though.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Sounds amazing. Norse mythology would actually make me buy a From Software game for the first time in my life.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (5 Days): Unnecessary hostility. Please don't tag members with taunts like this.
Lol Im going to assume PlanetSmasher is crying about the mechanics again

Ignore feature is weird with quotes

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was excited for this, but... no Miyazaki + preset characters again + Sekiro being pretty disappointing for me personally.
I love From, and I can understand them trying to change-up the Souls formula, but the elements they're going about reinventing are the ones they'd already perfected.

Bloodborne preserved what was great about Souls while still feeling very different at it's core. From has yet to replicate that success in my eyes.

Pretty sure this is a Miyazaki game (IIRC Omni said as much?). Since Bloodborne (included) all these games have been Miyazaki+another co-director.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck are some of y'all even talking about? Goner?

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Are Skyrim and The Witcher based on Norse Mythology? I always just considered them high fantasy, which takes some elements from all walks of mythology, including Celtic, Norse, Roman etc...

So I can actually only think of 1 AAA game purely based on Norse Mythology, which is God of War

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they have to add anything other than parry/deflect to a game about parry/deflect. That's the game's main mechanic along with posture, and arguably you can defeat anyone just using normal block, evasion and attack.

Furthermore, evasion based games can have pretty hard evasion timings too, so it's the same in the end. In Sekiro you're timing one button press in response to enemies attacks, the only difference is your own animation and the fact that you can also evade in addition to block/deflect. So there are options. Plus: you can run like mad, while locked on, which would make any other souls game easy as fuck. Also, there are at least two prosthetic tools aimed at people who can't time the parries and/or evades properly. Of course they cost emblems because why the hell are you playing a rhythm have if you can't rhythm.

And what the hell does that have to do with this rumor.

Oct 25, 2017
Criticism about Sekiro's mechanics is fine, but doesn't really relate much to a project we know this little about.

What's more related, in my opinion, is the setting and their execution. Which is obviously subjective, but as someone who wasn't sold into Sengoku Japan before playing, I think they did a wonderful job.

I would have liked more creepy stuff, but what's in there is pretty damn great.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills listening to these takes and others. This stuff sounds more salty than discussion about the design positives and negatives.

...Just as in the Sekiro thread, some people saying being able to rely on a few core mechanics to get you through the game as a design flaw....crazy pills

Someone saying the story in Sekiro is terrible compared to Dark Souls III...crazy pills

and people acting like lore experts and denouncing Sekiro's lore as shallow when they barely scratched the surface of what lore exists in Sekiro...crazy pills

I'm gonna bow out of this cause it's not worth it. Just like trying to talk about certain games here where you have to deal with a barrage of hot takes before you can even discuss it in any decent manner.

I know, right? But in this poster's mind, because they didn't like it, it's a goner to the world.

...That being said, it's hard to say if the game would ever actually get a sequel, considering how they want to focus on new games. The most we can expect now is DLC, which is something all of their games have received.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said around this time last E3 before Sekiro, keep an open mind. Many were apprehensive about Sekiro, and had many doubts. I think Fromsoftware has more than earned it's fans the benefit of the doubt.

From what I've seen of this title, I couldn't be more excited.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's not an exclusive.
Microsoft isn't ponying up like that for 3rd party exclusives anymore this gen. Maybe if it's a next gen game, which I doubt cause then we would be seeing it an E3 2020

Like I said around this time last E3 before Sekiro, keep an open mind. Many were apprehensive about Sekiro, and had many doubts. I think Fromsoftware has more than earned it's fans the benefit of the doubt.

From what I've seen of this title, I couldn't be more excited.

People were just being salty it wasn't Bloodborne 2 even though the teaser looked nothing like Bloodborne. From has earned the benefit of the doubt here, I'm actually very excited after becoming a new fan with Sekiro

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bow out of this cause it's not worth it. Just like trying to talk about certain games here where you have to deal with a barrage of hot takes before you can even discuss it in any decent manner.

Not liking a game and finding its primary game mechanic a chore is not a hot take. People are allowed to dislike Sekiro, just like people are allowed to dislike Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3.

People want different things out of games, and different things bring different people joy.

Oct 25, 2017
and people acting like lore experts and denouncing Sekiro's lore as shallow when they barely scratched the surface of what lore exists in Sekiro...crazy pills
Not gonna lie, I did the same on my first playthrough. But the more I dig into it, the more I enjoy it. I love Sekiro's world and lore now. Even warmed up to a lot of side characters that I disliked at first.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So much hate going on. I'd argue that Dark Souls qualifies as an "open world" game. Can't wait for whatever From brings.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Well, I was agreeing with Gbraga about the likeness of a Sekiro sequel. Much so considering Miyazaki's policy about sequels.

From moves on, people. Also, you guys don't need to take offense.

I enjoyed the combat and setting very much, just did not liked to fight the same mini bosses/bosses several times.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
yeah Sekiro being "bad" is the same as Red Dead 2 being "bad"

you would get the perception those games are bad only just looking at this forum
RDR2 being disappointing is a very popular opinion, on Era and beyond

I dont see much critisism at all for Sekiro anywhere though apart from a few isolated comments here and there

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I've heard you complain because there are a lack of open world RPGs.

I've complained about a lack of RPGs in general. I don't really like modern open world games outside of a few standout examples, though.

I'm so burned out on spending half my playtime on a horse riding in a random direction so I actually get to do a thing.