• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Stores put in weird tentative release dates constantly. I remember my local gamestop having big headlines stating FF7R and KH3 would release in december.. of 2016.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't really see how that leads to skepticism that they can get a new game out within 3 years of the last one though. The skepticism is unfounded. Polyphony has proven they're efficient developers. GT7 releasing this year isn't a guarantee, but comments acting as if delays for GT games and long dev cycles are the norm at PD come across as uninformed at best and disingenuous at worst.

Prime example of what I'm talking about.
You keep suggesting they are efficient yet only released one GT game this generation. A generation that started in 2013. I would love to be proven wrong, that they can get the new one out and another within 3 years.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
You keep suggesting they are efficient yet only released one GT game this generation. A generation that started in 2013. I would love to be proven wrong, that they can get the new one out and another within 3 years.

They technically released 2 games since 2013. GT6 was released on the PS3 in December of 2013 and GT Sport October 2017. Seems like 3-4 years to deliver a game is routine for them.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They technically released 2 games since 2013. GT6 was released on the PS3 in December of 2013 and GT Sport October 2017. Seems like 3-4 years to deliver a game is routine for them.
I do think they started early with GT7 because they mentioned how they scanned the cars I think in 8K while working on GT Sport. They did show gameplay so it appears to be coming along nicely, but this idea they are efficient is laughable.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
December 2021, maybe.

It'd be a miracle to see a Gran Turismo game not suffer a delay.

They released GT6 in late 2013, then GT Sport in 2017, which they have continued to support with content through to this year. GT6 being a PS3 game doesn't change how time works lol

Again, you can keep getting hung up on the fact that GT5, a game from a decade ago when we first moved to HD gaming on consoles, took longer than the usual dev time for PD, but since then they've been consistent with their usual 3-4 year time scale. That also doesn't take into account the fact that they were releasing other games in the time between GT4 and 5, which a lot of you seem to conveniently ignore.

Edit: So you're saying that PD aren't efficient because they're not pumping out GT games every two years? I don't get your logic here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah, "rough" wasn't the right word.

Not from first party studio. There isn't 2022 titles here. Especially not Sackboy.

We don't know that, and we shouldn't assume that, especially not with COVID-19 continuing to slow & alter normal timelines.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They released GT6 in late 2013, then GT Sport in 2017, which they have continued to support with content through to this year. GT6 being a PS3 game doesn't change how time works lol

Again, you can keep getting hung up on the fact that GT5, a game from a decade ago when we first moved to HD gaming on consoles, took longer than the usual dev time for PD, but since then they've been consistent with their usual 3-4 year time scale. That also doesn't take into account the fact that they were releasing other games in the time between GT4 and 5, which a lot of you seem to conveniently ignore.

Edit: So you're saying that PD aren't efficient because they're not pumping out GT games every two years? I don't get your logic here.
On what planet is 3-4 years for a new racing game with an existing franchise "efficient"? I don't know why you are being so defensive.

Project Cars for example released its first in 2015, Project Cars 2 in 2017, and now Project Cars 3 will be out next month. That to me is pretty normal, 2-3 years for a racing game.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean going back with seemingly how difficult it has been for PD to upgrade to HD and slow to adjust plus longer and more resource hungry the development of games takes, it's almost a pipe dream. However, they learned a lot from Sport, it's been 3 years since it's release (despite constant updates) and shown actually gameplay of the game running on PS5 (as opposed to "in-engine" footage) I wouldn't be blown away (but pleasantly surprised) if it was December. However, I'd say take their time and get it out when it's really ready.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
We do. SONY themselves doesn't want to show games too soon anymore like they did before. Nintendo chose this policy too.

Well, so did Microsoft and we know how that turned out. I'm not singling out Microsoft on this but I am saying that Sony and Nintendo might say or hint at not doing it but in the end they will announce games that are 2 or more years out.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
During the presentation, I though games without any date was because they wasn't sure of the release date between this or next year. R&C, sackboy and GT had gameplay without date. I think they want to be 100% sure about dates. I think sackboy is supposed to be a launch title. The trailer looks more like a launch trailer than an announcement trailer. R&C gameplay looked rough so I am not seeing it be 2020 but who knows.
R and C looked rough?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think all those games will be out by the end of next year.
That's not what I said.
I am saying that Sony and Nintendo might say or hint at not doing it but in the end they will announce games that are 2 or more years out.
Since Nintendo shifted (after Metroid 4 fiasco), I think the only exception is BoTW 2 teaser.
Well, so did Microsoft and we know how that turned out.
What are you refeering too ? Because the last event shows 2022 games.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Imo, a few cars or tracks more doesn't matter and can be added at a later date as DLC. If the game is feature complete, release it. How many cars did Gran Turismo 3 have? 180? And it's still my favorite game in the series. The career mode was so good. I'm really looking forward to GT7.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
What are you refeering too ? Because the last event shows 2022 games.

If couldn't find the original article that the site referred to but here what an executive said on announcing games to early.

"I think in the past we have made the mistake of announcing some exclusives a little bit too early. We're trying to learn from that mistake and do better, so we have a bit that's in development now that we're not talking about," she said.

Announcing Crackdown 3 too early was a mistake, Xbox exec says

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We do. SONY themselves doesn't want to show games too soon anymore like they did before. Nintendo chose this policy too.

Sony has been showing off games that are years away for decades. Even this generation:

From first showing to release -
Last of us 2: 3.5 years
Ghost of Tsushima: Almost 3 years
Spider-Man: 2+ years
God of War: 2 Years

Maybe temper the expectations a bit given world events right now. We don't know anything, other than that these games exist, and they're being developed. When they release is completely fluid and dependent on the progress the games have made. They could be 10 months away, they could be 20 months away. None of us knows.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony has been showing off games that are years away for decades. Even this generation:

From first showing to release -
Last of us 2: 3.5 years
Ghost of Tsushima: Almost 3 years
Spider-Man: 2+ years
God of War: 2 Years

Maybe temper the expectations a bit given world events right now. We don't know anything, other than that these games exist, and they're being developed. When they release is completely fluid and dependent on the progress the games have made. They could be 10 months away, they could be 20 months away. None of us knows.
Yes. And because they had nothing new to show in 2019, they thought they need to change their policy about that. I think it was Layden who talked about that.
Don't worry about my expectations, I learn to tame it long time ago :)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
On what planet is 3-4 years for a new racing game with an existing franchise "efficient"? I don't know why you are being so defensive.

Project Cars for example released its first in 2015, Project Cars 2 in 2017, and now Project Cars 3 will be out next month. That to me is pretty normal, 2-3 years for a racing game.

Me disagreeing with you isn't being defensive. That's how discourse works. More to the point, by efficient I mean that they release games at a steady pace with very little in the way of delays. Their back catalogue speaks for itself and I'm merely challenging the notion that GT games have particularly long dev cycles riddled with delays, when that simply isn't the case.

Am I wrong?

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure this will expand on content just like Sport did and what's there at launch in terms of cars and tracks will mostly be covered in the latest versions of GT Sport.
Some people think they could only get a Prologue version out at launch, but the Prologue games had everything they need for a full game, but with very little content.
GT Sports content is already high standard enough that they can put all that into GT7. And people will joke about similar things said for past games, but the trailer was enough to show that this is the direction they are taking.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Their back catalogue speaks for itself and I'm merely challenging the notion that GT games have particularly long dev cycles riddled with delays, when that simply isn't the case.

Am I wrong?

I mean... yeah? There's a reason that Polyphony have a reputation for delays! GT6 is the only game that I can't find 'GT delayed... again' articles for. They've always been serial delayers. That's just the way it is.

www.ign.com

Gran Turismo 2 Delayed - IGN

Internal Sony sources have indicated to IGNPSX that Polyphony's massive…

www.gamespot.com

Gran Turismo 3 Delayed Again

One month before its release, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec faces another delay in Japan.

Gran Turismo 4 delayed until autumn

Plus! Online communities and PS2 hard drive support confirmed

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com

Gran Turismo 5 Is Delayed Again

Sony announced that the latest version of the popular racing simulator would be pushed from its Nov. 2 release date to “this holiday season.”

www.gtplanet.net

Sony Executive Jim Ryan Confident in GT Sport Release Date

Sony Europe President and CEO Jim Ryan is confident Gran Turismo Sport will meet its 2016 release window.

gamerant.com

Gran Turismo Sport Delayed to 2017

Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi reveals that Gran Turismo Sport has been delayed until 2017, with the developer citing more time needed to perfect the game.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... yeah? There's a reason that Polyphony have a reputation for delays! GT6 is the only game that I can't find 'GT delayed... again' articles for. They've always been serial delayers. That's just the way it is.

www.ign.com

Gran Turismo 2 Delayed - IGN

Internal Sony sources have indicated to IGNPSX that Polyphony's massive…

www.gamespot.com

Gran Turismo 3 Delayed Again

One month before its release, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec faces another delay in Japan.

Gran Turismo 4 delayed until autumn

Plus! Online communities and PS2 hard drive support confirmed

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com

Gran Turismo 5 Is Delayed Again

Sony announced that the latest version of the popular racing simulator would be pushed from its Nov. 2 release date to “this holiday season.”

www.gtplanet.net

Sony Executive Jim Ryan Confident in GT Sport Release Date

Sony Europe President and CEO Jim Ryan is confident Gran Turismo Sport will meet its 2016 release window.

gamerant.com

Gran Turismo Sport Delayed to 2017

Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi reveals that Gran Turismo Sport has been delayed until 2017, with the developer citing more time needed to perfect the game.

I'll take the L on that one as I wasn't aware. Still, it's not that hard to believe that they can deliver a new GT game in 3-4 years. That's all my argument really boils down to.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'll take the L on that one as I wasn't aware. Still, it's not that hard to believe that they can deliver a new GT game in 3-4 years. That's all my argument really boils down to.

Even when anyone points out continued delays you keep brushing it aside. That's not discourse, that's denial. I'm hoping they can get back into the swing of things and release 2 full GT games on the PS5. Not a Prologue, but full games.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Looks hella placeholder.
All the Walmart's by me have December listed for pretty much everything without a release date.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If those games in the PS5 event were really all 2020/21 - then some of them will be late 2020/early 21. R&C and GT7 seemed most 'complete' from the limited look so they could form release window titles alongside Spider-Man through to Easter 2021?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I can see it. I think I'd probably be more inclined fo agree if 2017's GT Sport had been a 'one and done' release and knowing that they'd basically been working on GT7 since then. But I don't think that's true based on the amount of work they continued to put into Sport basically up until present day.

I could see 4 years? 2021. Build upon what's there from Sport and release it by third quarter.

Honestly, I'd rather they didn't rush it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it. I think I'd probably be more inclined fo agree if 2017's GT Sport had been a 'one and done' release and knowing that they'd basically been working on GT7 since then. But I don't think that's true based on the amount of work they continued to put into Sport basically up until present day.

I could see 4 years? 2021. Build upon what's there from Sport and release it by third quarter.

im playing the massive reductive card

- the time spent updating sport added cars and tracks - which would have been needed for GT7 anyway, so they were developing in the right direction during that time which would help GT7

campaign/Home Screen looks pretty similar to GT6 and shouldn't be too much effort for 2-4 years work.

biggest question is the graphics and how much is a complete rewrite vs some nips and tucks and some shiny RT effects

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I thought I saw someone mention that GTS support wasn't done by their main team?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be weird for Sony to announce Gran Turismo 7, and then to turn around a month later and go "oh also there's a Gran Turismo 7 Prologue and THAT'S what's coming out in the launch window." Not to mention that people would have even more reason to ask whether this is just GT Sport ported to PS5, since past Prologue games dropped the comprehensive campaign from the mainline series, which basically gives you Sport.

I'm not saying it's impossible, of course; I'm not even sure it's wildly implausible. I can imagine a reality where Sony makes this kind of announcement, sure. But I don't think that's what's coming here.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
They showed gameplay and home page. I wouldn't be shocked if the game is a launch title.

Believe.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They showed gameplay and home page. I wouldn't be shocked if the game is a launch title.

Believe.
PlayStation Studios is the king of the highly polished vertical slice. I wouldn't read too much in to that. But for sure it would be awesome if that happens. Lost interest in GT over the years but the focus on the story mode has me excited again.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

To be fair, didn't Sport release in a pretty lackluster state with little content? If that's the case it still being delayed on top of that with a lot of resources going into Sport's post launch development makes me a little wary that 7 is already done, or at least "done" enough to be in a great state.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I definitely think it will be 2020 or early 2021.

It looked like it was using the GT Sport engine, just updated with RT, so they have probably been building it along side GT Sport and porting a lot of the content over to GT7.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Assuming PS5 is coming out in November, they are not gonna release a high profile title a month after the console. It's either gonna be ready for launch, or for Q1 2021 (if we really think it's coming out soon).

Personally I think March-June 2021 makes the most sense, especially after what Phil Spencer (not PlayStation, I know, but the principle still applies) said about games planned for next year potentially getting delayed for the current Covid situation and inability to do mocap sessions. Racing games barely require any (group) mocap work, it could plug the hole nicely.
But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a launch title either, it looked like an upgraded GT Sport and it's always nice to have a racing title at release.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played one of these sim racers since...let me check my notes...Sega GT 2002. If it's a launch title, why the fuck not? Heck, if it's out inside of the first year, I'll probably buy it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke? They showed not only gameplay but the hud/menu system?

That means its much farther along than 3 years from now. It's a late 2020, early 2021 game at best.
They showed a single track.

Look at this GT5 trailer, look how much shit it shows. You'd think it was coming soon after.

It came out 18 months later.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that Base.com (large UK retailer) has GT7 pre-orders with a release date of 31st December 2020 (obviously a placeholder) and also Hitman 3 with the same date (despite us knowing that Hitman isn't coming till January 2021).

I'd take these kind of retailer dates with a huge grain of salt.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
No need to rush it, none of these had dates for a reason...

It'll be a nice return to form, I expect it mid 2021

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It would have to be GT Sport with a more fleshed out career mode to launch in Dec. this year I think.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They showed a single track.

Look at this GT5 trailer, look how much shit it shows. You'd think it was coming soon after.

It came out 18 months later.

No the same thing they showed, at the end of the trailer they literally showed raw captured gameplay, and then showed the HUD for menu.

Here's the menu, track selection, and customization menu's:

Here's raw game footage:

Not the same as what you just showed me. Poly from now is not the same from last gen. They are more streamlined.