• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
They are closing some stores but not all (they still have too many). Preorders are transfered to the next closest location. The whole "sent as giftcard to corporate" sounds like he misheard or didn't get the whole picture. Could be that people would need to contact corporate to get the money back in that case, but not as if people would lose said money.

Target Canada had the Rosalina amiibo as exclusive and they still went bankrupt and closed all their stores.
In Canada. It was also exclusive for a time in the US, were they're still open.

In this case, not every Gamestop will close so the same applies. :p

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How are gamestop exclusive preorders going to be handled then?

I think he's referring to brick and mortar stores. I think if you preorder online you should be ok....hopefully.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Accusations of shilling
Camelot's legit, everything he's said has come true. He's also been told that GameStop was paying people to discredit his videos. (Looks like we have one in this very thread)

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
their store managers are allowed to cancel all preorders and put the amounts on gift cards and ship them to corporate
That's what he reported in the video, at 8:50
I thought when a store closes the preorders just get transferred to the next nearest store
I used to work for Gamestop and this is exactly how we handled our pre-orders when the store I was was working at closed. We transferred them to the closest location. I'm not sure if what this guy in the youtube vid is saying is true or not with his experience.
Probably need to dig into this a little more and be sure of the facts. His videos and tweet are super click-baity, so possible he's lying to generate the ad revenue.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty far fetched that GameStop will just close all of their stores before finishing its rebranding and implementing its new strategy.

It's a publicly traded company, and the next console launch is probably a focal point in their future strategy.

Did this guy work within in a store or was he in management? The former would imply that he is spreading rumors based on changes his former coworkers may be experiencing.

Also GameStop down sizing and not having 3+ stores all within a 15 minute drive isn't unbelievable.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Probably need to dig into this a little more and be sure of the facts. His videos and tweet are super click-baity, so possible he's lying to generate the ad revenue.

The stuff about the closures and stuff are legit, but pretty much everyone on here that has worked at GS has said how the moving pre-orders works (at least, how they are SUPPOSED to work). So there's more than enough people to share their experience, vs the one guy on Youtube that has said otherwise.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Seems pretty far fetched that GameStop will just close all of their stores before finishing its rebranding and implementing its new strategy.

It's a publicly traded company, and the next console launch is probably a focal point in their future strategy.

Did this guy work within in a store or was he in management? The former would imply that he is spreading rumors based on changes his former coworkers may be experiencing.

Also GameStop down sizing and not having 3+ stores all within a 15 minute drive isn't unbelievable.
I think he use to be a manger?

moncho13

Jul 18, 2018
They move preorders to the closest store and allow you to stop by and receive a refund, the deposit stays there forever, not unlike when you preorder something at a store and completely forget about it for years. Money stays there. The fact that this is getting pushed here too is akin to fake news on Fb. Wth resetera.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to have a gamestop near them, no longer having a local store that sells used games sucks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff about the closures and stuff are legit, but pretty much everyone on here that has worked at GS has said how the moving pre-orders works (at least, how they are SUPPOSED to work). So there's more than enough people to share their experience, vs the one guy on Youtube that has said otherwise.
He did mention that how it's suppose to work but he had seen in his experience that it hadn't always worked that way.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I used a gift card I got this week there today. Now that I no longer hold any currency there I'm ready to watch them die. I don't like to see people lose their jobs but in the long run everyone will be ok and the market will be much better without them in it.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
It's really pissing me off how his ignorance on how preorders work could potentially have the effect of stores being closed or managers getting yelled at.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
When they cancel all the pre-orders and put them on a giftcard, they are supposed to send the giftcard/pre-order to whatever the closest store is. At least, thats how it used to be done lol. This has been coming for a long time. There is no reason to have 3 Gamestop's within 10 miles of each other lol, like I have where I live. Hell, theres 3 more just outside that 10 mile radius lol. The Mall Gamestops should be the first to go imo, but who knows what they are planning at corporate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering who was in charge of site locations for GameStop for them to have multiple GameStops within a close area of each other.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
He did mention that how it's suppose to work but he had seen in his experience that it hadn't always worked that way.

It's still pretty dumb to say "cancel pre-orders cause this MIGHT happen", since the topic was based off what could potentially happen.

in the long run everyone will be ok and the market will be much better without them in it.

I never understand this. It's bad for people that like physical games. It's bad for people especially that like NICHE physical games. Someone else pointed out on here, it's even bad for mom n pop shops who USE GS to buy stock for their stores. It is not good for the market, just good for people that don't like GS. Bad employee practices aside, it's not the only retail store that has management breathing down employees' necks for numbers and having them resort to scummy practices. That's just how plenty of businesses work nowadays, sadly.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm wondering who was in charge of site locations for GameStop for them to have multiple GameStops within a close area of each other.
A lot of it came from purchasing other companies.

Used to be a GameStop and an EB Games in a mall near me; then GS bought EB and there were pointlessly 2 GameStops.

But why they bothered to keep 2 stores open in the first place was quite strange.

Same mall has 3 Starbucks though lol

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
When they cancel all the pre-orders and put them on a giftcard, they are supposed to send the giftcard/pre-order to whatever the closest store is. At least, thats how it used to be done lol. This has been coming for a long time. There is no reason to have 3 Gamestop's within 10 miles of each other lol, like I have where I live. Hell, theres 3 more just outside that 10 mile radius lol. The Mall Gamestops should be the first to go imo, but who knows what they are planning at corporate.

GameStop's consumer base is kids or teens and their parents who are underbanked and lack easy access to transportation or means to buy games online. That is why they have so many stores near each other to make it easier for these folks to shop. Now I can't understand for the life of me as to why they kept multiple stores in the same mall but I imagine during the holidays it gives them the ability to service more customers. Also probably more shelf space.

Oct 28, 2017
Gamestop Q3 earnings call is Today after market close. I'll be on that call and as of right now I call Grade A Horseshit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the video. Think ive seen this guy once before. He makes some great points. The not accepting returns or giftcards is so fucked up lol. Hopefully there will be enough Gamestop's in close proximity that people can find one that isnt closing just yet, and will accept the giftcards or returns.

The one thing I dont entirely buy from one of this guy's messages is the Phone thing. I just dont see why stores would be trying that hard to get 5 phones a week, every week. When I left the company we had been doing the phone trade ins for like a year already, and they never sold. Unless corporate has some sort of deal with another company who will buy these used phones from them, I dont see why that would be so important to focus on.

Why the mall ones? Some of those get better business than dedicated single stores in a plaza.
That was just my opinion. Im sure there are advantages to having stores in Malls as well. Just in my area, the mall stores are dead compared to the ones in plazas. But thats due to Malls in general just being dead in my area. They are mostly holdovers from back when Gamestop purchased EB Games.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outstanding, thank you!

The one thing I dont entirely buy from one of this guy's messages is the Phone thing. I just dont see why stores would be trying that hard to get 5 phones a week, every week. When I left the company we had been doing the phone trade ins for like a year already, and they never sold. Unless corporate has some sort of deal with another company who will buy these used phones from them, I dont see why that would be so important to focus on.
That's exactly what I've seen being said. Some Chinese company buys the used phones from them and I guess the margins are good.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching the video. Think ive seen this guy once before. He makes some great points. The not accepting returns or giftcards is so fucked up lol. Hopefully there will be enough Gamestop's in close proximity that people can find one that isnt closing just yet, and will accept the giftcards or returns.

I think that's due to the liquidation company. Gamestop doesn't even own these closing stores anymore, so it's just probably something the liquidators didn't want to deal with (moving stock out, not bringing stuff back). Pretty sure most liquidated stores of any kind have "all sales are final" for their deals.

I knew they were shipped to a 3rd party and someone mentioned it being China or something. Could be getting a really good deal or being demanding.

That was just my opinion. Im sure there are advantages to having stores in Malls as well. Just in my area, the mall stores are dead compared to the ones in plazas. But thats due to Malls in general just being dead in my area. They are mostly holdovers from back when Gamestop purchased EB Games.

I mean, yeah it depends where you are. There's a couple malls in my area that are VERY high traffic in general, since they also have a huge outlet section in it. That Gamestop makes A LOT of money, and does the best in the district, apparently. But in dying mall areas, yeah for sure I see that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a thread on Reddit about GameStop stores receiving "an insane level of pressure from the DM about tech trades":

Insane Pressure

Is anyone else's store receiving an insane level of pressure from the DM about tech trades? They've gotten to the point where they are now threatening my SL through text about not having any yet this week. They even have us filling out a sheet every time we give a quote to somebody about how much their phones are worth. Am I crazy for thinking that this is not something we should be threatened over?

alliecat2539
Manager·3 days ago

Was on a conference call where we basically heard our DL rant about how as a district we aren't doing good enough with numbers & tech trades. I get it's a yelling chain that starts way above the DL, but I'm over it. If I'm going to get shit on regardless, what's the point in trying?

SparkleSatan
·3 days ago

My DL essentially told us that we are to offer quotes to every guest. Like what am I supposed to so, "hey there mr regular, I like that I phone wanna know what I'd give you for it?" Suddenly we're freaking tech trade goblins and its ridiculous.

alliecat2539
Manager ·3 days ago·edited 2 days ago

Pretty much got told the same thing. Just because we all get at least 10 people a day walking into our stores, doesn't mean we are going to get quotes out of all of them. If I wanted to go bother the heck out of people about trading their phone, I'd go work at Verizon (and probably get paid more too).

slybluesly
Senior Guest Advisor ·2 days ago

Literally got told the same thing, so I proceeded to try and offer quotes to every guest that came in (that wasn't a 9 year old) and proceeded to get nothing but "I don't have any phones I want to trade in" or "would you guys buy my flip phone?" The only people interested had no clue what model or brand their device was and then followed up with "you guys probably wouldn't buy it anyway." Honestly what the hell do they want us to do?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't think there is. Look at failed crowdfunding where the pre-orders couldn't be fulfilled, no one was able to get refunds.
Situations aren't comparable at all. Crowdfunding is an investment with a dividend if it works out, but nothing if you fail. The store would be a legal debt, but of course with low priority.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's still pretty dumb to say "cancel pre-orders cause this MIGHT happen", since the topic was based off what could potentially happen.

I never understand this. It's bad for people that like physical games. It's bad for people especially that like NICHE physical games. Someone else pointed out on here, it's even bad for mom n pop shops who USE GS to buy stock for their stores. It is not good for the market, just good for people that don't like GS. Bad employee practices aside, it's not the only retail store that has management breathing down employees' necks for numbers and having them resort to scummy practices. That's just how plenty of businesses work nowadays, sadly.
You don't think some other business will take their place? If people are really truly clamoring for physical games then the market will respond. But GS is total shit and has run its course. Some other company can fill that void, if it's actually still a profitable business model.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You don't think some other business will take their place? If people are really truly clamoring for physical games then the market will respond. But GS is total shit and has run its course. Some other company can fill that void, if it's actually still a profitable business model.

I mean, I didn't see any toy stores popping up after Toys r Us going away. So I really can't make the prediction or assumption that Game Store XYZ will just pop up out of nowhere and yet gain that sort of succession. I also wouldn't expect them to go all in with niche stuff, which is a big drive to these stores/physical media.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Yeah, getting hella BS vibes off this.

Yet another "sky is falling" forecast from a so-called insider / professional scooper.

Even if they did close a handful of stores, why the heck would preorders be cancelled? Just go to the next store.

Though I have never actually seen a Gamestop close and we have about 4 of them locally. Or 5 if I go an extra 10 miles.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I like that people blame GameStop's approach here. Look they've hurt themselves a lot, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of how good they were at managing it, physical media and b&m locations are a dying breed. Digital sales have basically caught up with physical sales. It's not just digital though, Amazon is just as good and arguably more convenient than GameStop. There's just no reason for having these stores everywhere and every year there is less and less foot traffic for various reasons. This was inevitable unfortunately regardless of how the company was run

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh earnings just released I think down 20% don't actually have info though thinking it's true since I'm on mobile