• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Finn didn't end up with Rose, it'll be the most forced romance in Star Wars since Padme/Anakin.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Except that...the point of the story was that he couldn't actually do that. Rey and Luke let the past go but he couldn't. Makes sense that he would go back to the Vader cosplay after being bitchslapped once again.
People keep using that line like it was the moral of the film and Ren's beliefs, when in the context of the film, it was just his own warped logic attempting to justify killing Han, killing the other Jedi, giving into the Dark Side, etc and attempting to bring Rey to his side
Ren: He'd sensed my power, as he senses yours, and he feared it.

Rey: Liar.

Ren: Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I continue to be disappointed in the fact that almost all of the new ST alien designs consist of some wrinkly, raisin faced or elongated turtle thing.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
You don't put an actor like adam driver behind a mask the whole time.

I hope they use it sparingly, like only in fight scenes or something.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he turned around and pulled it towards him as he walks out. Who cares?

It's a glaring error. First, JJ gets rid of the helmet at the end of TFA, then RJ nonsensically brings it back only to destroy it for JJ then to bring it back again in IX. The damn helmet basically represents the directionlessness of the sequel trilogy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the mask coming back.

TLJ was his chance at redemption of returning to humanity, he ejected it, now he's truly the guy who murdered his Dad in cold blood

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
lol bringing back the helmet completely ruins his entire development in TLJ

knew Abrams was gonna fall back on what was easiest. power to him, though. hope the movieis good in its own right
Yup. JJ gonna JJ. Knew what to expect when he came back on board.

Oh well. It'll at least be a fun ride

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's a glaring error. First, JJ gets rid of the helmet at the end of TFA, then RJ nonsensically brings it back only to destroy it for JJ then to bring it back again in IX. The damn helmet basically represents the directionlessness of the sequel trilogy.

You're complaining about nothing. You can easily invent an explanation for such a minor detail. Maybe he went back and grabbed it. Maybe he ordered some stormtrooper to go pick it up. It doesn't matter.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope kylo has an intresting dark side force gimmick and not just lightning agian, same for knights of ren

Need more new force powers after force Skype and force shadow clone jutstu.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm fine with the mask coming back.

TLJ was his chance at redemption of returning to humanity, he ejected it, now he's truly the guy who murdered his Dad in cold blood
I think it makes far more sense for him to create a new identity or appearance. His crushing of the mask was a turning point for his character -- he's no longer owned/controlled by Snoke.

Oct 26, 2017
You're complaining about nothing. You can easily invent an explanation for such a minor detail. Maybe he went back and grabbed it. Maybe he ordered some stormtrooper to go pick it up. It doesn't matter.

An unanswered question about a small detail in a Star Wars movie??

I expect the helmet retrieval to be shown in great detail in Rogue Two: A Star Wars Story in 2022.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes far more sense for him to create a new identity or appearance. His crushing of the mask was a turning point for his character -- he's no longer owned/controlled by Snoke.

I never saw that mask as attached to Snoke but fair point.

I'll be honest the mask looks cool and I don't think it's a major thing to bring back so I'm fine with it lol

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
He destroyed the mask because of Snoke's criticism of him. Now he's killed Snoke and is the supreme leader, he can do whatever he likes. Rey tried to make him change, and was so close, but ultimately, he didn't. This just cements that.

Oct 26, 2017

He didn't wear the mask because Snoke made him do it. In fact, it appears Snoke hated the mask.

If anything, putting it back on is a giant "fuck you" to his deceased former master.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get why he had it originally - he wanted to be like Darth Vader, so he was basically a child dressing up in an edgy way to look intimidating. Why would the Supreme Leader of the First Order need to hide his face any more, especially if his whole ideology is about letting the past die?

It's obviously not a disguise either because who'd be stupid enough to use the same mask if they intended to go unnoticed?

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
It's also not the moral in any way from the movie.

I know! The movie has no moral. It pulls on a lot of contradictory strings, making it more of a nihilistic deconstruction of the monomyth (with a tagged on 4th act reversal for the sake of the franchise).

Anyway, don't want to start that old tired discussion here. Let the past die ;)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I get why he had it originally - he wanted to be like Darth Vader, so he was basically a child dressing up in an edgy way to look intimidating. Why would the Supreme Leader of the First Order need to hide his face any more, especially if his whole ideology is about letting the past die?

It's obviously not a disguise either because who'd be stupid enough to use the same mask if they intended to go unnoticed?

Because quite literally he's now a child with supreme power, so fuck you he can wear what he wants.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

The entire First Order just watched his baby face get owned by Luke Skywalker. A pathetic wretch like him would probably be too embarrassed to show his face again.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I need this to be as good as TLJ. TFA was terrible, so I am not exactly confident with JJ. at the helm.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because quite literally he's now a child with supreme power, so fuck you he can wear what he wants.

They're going to have to do better than that if they really want him to stand beside the likes of Vader and Palpatine as iconic villains. So far everything he does, everything he stands for, is the incessant whining of a child who doesn't think his parents loved him enough.

That is not how you write a good villain. That's how you write a pathetic one.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to have to do better than that if they really want him to stand beside the likes of Vader and Palpatine as iconic villains. So far everything he does, everything he stands for, is the incessant whining of a child who doesn't think his parents loved him enough.

That is not how you write a good villain. That's how you write a pathetic one.

He is a pathetic one

The whole idea is that the First Order are the Alt-Right to the Empire's Nazis

That's actually why I love it so much, these villains are pathetic.

They aren't cool. I mean the mask looks cool but the person wearing it isn't

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I didn't see Luke pick up his lightsaber at the end of Return of the Jedi. It doesn't make sense how Luke could have it in the TLJ flashbacks."

That's what some people sound like here. It's a stupid nitpick.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone saying he's fixing the mask as if it's impossible for him to just make another mask.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He destroyed the mask because of Snoke's criticism of him. Now he's killed Snoke and is the supreme leader, he can do whatever he likes. Rey tried to make him change, and was so close, but ultimately, he didn't. This just cements that.
The mask is something born out of the control and manipulation of Snoke; it represents the grip he had on Kylo. By destroying it, he freed himself of that ownership. Take a look at the way the scene is filmed and you can realize the obvious symbolic meaning of the mask itself (that he's just pretending to be something he's not will always keep him inside the shadow of Snoke). Piecing it back together, to me, just makes no sense from a thematic standpoint.

A new identity altogether makes far more sense, or an alteration of what we see after Snoke's murder. IMO. I think mask off makes the most sense, even if it's not necessarily the coolest looking design.

The mask is an emulation of the past. TLJ, from the villain's perspective, is about ridding of that past.

So I don't think EP9 should really reverse that direction.

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
He is a pathetic one

The whole idea is that the First Order are the Alt-Right to the Empire's Nazis

That's actually why I love it so much, these villains are pathetic.

They aren't cool. I mean the mask looks cool but the person wearing it isn't

This is how I feel about them as well, lol. Whether this was the directors plans or not, who knows, haha. Their whole back story not really being explained is a fuck up I think.

I like kylos character though. This whiny, insecure , powerful person.

I've happy the mask is coming back. It looks awesome. He doesn't have to be on all the time, maybe just fight scenes. Driver is a good actor. We should see his face.

Hoping for knights of ren as well.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mask is something born out of the control and manipulation of Snoke; it represents the grip he had on Kylo. By destroying it, he freed himself of that ownership. Take a look at the way the scene is filmed and you can realize the obvious symbolic meaning of the mask itself. Piecing it back together, to me, just makes no sense from a thematic standpoint.

A new identity altogether makes far more sense, or an alteration of what we see after Snoke's murder. IMO.

Nah. Snoke definitely called the mask pathetic or something to that effect and demanded Ben remove it. It was what Ben wore to emulate Anakin, I assume out of a belief that it made him look intimidating.

So I can see why people are saying Ben wearing it again is an act of defiance against Snoke, but that's an extremely immature and childish action to take. The guy is dead. He doesn't give a crap what Ben wears any more and, as you say, it makes more sense that Ben would give himself a new wardrobe to reflect his newfound power as leader of the First Order.

Kinda funny how Ben had the potential to be really cool and unique and he's actually just a Vader fanboy that turned evil because it would hurt the parents he doesn't think loved him enough.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah. Snoke definitely called the mask pathetic or something to that effect and demanded Ben remove it. It was what Ben wore to emulate Anakin, I assume out of a belief that it made him look intimidating.

So I can see why people are saying Ben wearing it again is an act of defiance against Snoke, but that's an extremely immature and childish action to take. The guy is dead. He doesn't give a crap what Ben wears any more and, as you say, it makes more sense that Ben would give himself a new wardrobe to reflect his newfound power as leader of the First Order.

Kinda funny how Ben had the potential to be really cool and unique and he's actually just a Vader fanboy that turned evil because it would hurt the parents he doesn't think loved him enough.
I edited my post if you want to take a look.

Kylo emulating the past and operating under Snoke's control are intertwined; it doesn't make much sense for why he would have any desire to rebuild what it stood for.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, that's exactly what he is by design

Villains don;t need to be cool to be effective villains, in fact getting away from cool is good.

Oct 28, 2017

Not so sure about that. Snoke's dialog in TLJ suggests that it was actually Snoke who planted the idea in Kylo's head that he was special because he was part of Vader's bloodline. "When I found you, ahh, I saw what all Masters live to see. Raw, untamed power. But beyond that, something truly special. The potential of your bloodline: a new ... Vader."

It's not clear to me if Kylo was just a Vader fanboy from jump or if Snoke encouraged that idolization. So what Surfinn is saying is true in my opinion. Smashing the mask was symbolic of him breaking away from his masters control and manipulation.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

didn't snoke tell him to take the stupid mask off

if anything now that snoke is gone it makes sense he puts it back on. he gets to be edgelord he always wanted to be

Oct 25, 2017
I like Kylo's helmet and I'm glad it's back but I was hoping the rest of him would be a little more interesting too. Maybe something more regal looking since he decided he's king of the galaxy now.
That red and black helmet would have gone well with some red and black robes or something kinda like this (but maybe a little less videogamey).
gYDrg6Gl.jpg