• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianScribe

Oct 27, 2017
The rumor is not about the whole of the FFXIV team, but only the Heavensward one. A lot of the HW staff are not in the FFXIV credits since the HW patches, which leaded to speculations of them working on the next AAA game from Yoshi's division. So a different team, ghey might not have struggled as much.

Yoshi said that part of the delay for FFXIV was because of the online environement at home and well... for an online game that's a shame lol

We know that new AAA game is in full developpement for a while too, so we might get something. The 3 month delay between june (when it was supposedly gonna show up) and september would make sense with COVID and all.

Is the Heavensward team even big enough for this type of game? I also assume it is not the entire HW staff, either as you hinted at. So I still think team members for XVI are coming from elsewhere, too. I've heard several rumors about XVI's development for the past few years, and I admit Yoshida and some of the XIV team being involved has come up. If it's him + Soken for music + the writing team (anyone involved with Heavensward and Shadowbringers) + environment design team from Heavensward and Shadowbringers, I'm all in. Really curious about the battle system, too.

They formed a new team with Heavensward leads and hired new people. We know for a fact they are working on an AAA game, thats not speculation.

Ah okay, that answers that then (they hired new people). Thanks.

Last edited:

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
The franchise really needs fresh faces and a new world. As someone said, you can split hairs, but realistically it's been 14 years since the last new single player mainline title was revealed, and 11 years in general with XIV. It's time for a new logo, cast of characters, world, and music. It's going to be so exciting and fresh no matter what it turns out to be. I really can't wait!

I'm hoping it gets revealed on Wednesday but I don't think it will. But we'll see!

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My complaints with FF15 was definitely not feeling the party as well, 4 young white dudebros on a road trip just wasn't what I've come to expect from final fantasy games where I enjoy the party of playable characters.
Its why I loved it so much when Iris or Aranaea joined the party.
FF14 even manages to have a cool cast and a "main party" despite being an MMO

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
do SE has the manpower and resources to support 2 AAA full scale JRPG with FF16 and FF7 Remake Part 2?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
do SE has the manpower and resources to support 2 AAA full scale JRPG with FF16 and FF7 Remake Part 2?
Yeah, SE is about ~4600 employees. They consolidated 10 divisions into 4 last year:

Creative Business Unit I - Yoshinori Kitase
Creative Business Unit II - Yu Miyake
Creative Business Unit III - Naoki Yoshida
Creative Business Unit IV - Hirokazu Nishikado

I'm not really sure how the teams break down anymore, but the first 3 are at least two AAA teams each (1 has FF7R + all of the KH teams, 2 has NieR + Dragon Quest + a bunch of AA teams, 3 has FFXIV + FFXI + the AAA we all assume is FFXVI, and then 4 is mobile and social). Luminous isn't included in that. Then they have other companies they can lean on to help them develop AAA stuff like Tri-Ace and whoever else.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Is the Heavensward team even big enough for this type of game? I also assume it is not the entire HW staff, either as you hinted at. So I still think team members for XVI are coming from elsewhere, too. I've heard several rumors about XVI's development for the past few years, and I admit Yoshida and some of the XIV team being involved has come up. If it's him + Soken for music + the writing team (anyone involved with Heavensward and Shadowbringers) + environment design team from Heavensward and Shadowbringers, I'm all in. Really curious about the battle system, too.
"Heawensword team" only refers to the few lead designers who left XIV development after Heawensward. Square has since changed their company structure from 11 divisions to only four, so there presumably is a lot of existing staff coming from other divisions to work on Yoshida's unit. They have also been hiring new staff for a next-gen AAA project and in 2016 Yoshida said he wants his unit to put out a new game on the level of Sony's first-party offerings within the next 3 to 5 years.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
There's no way it'll be a "permanent" exclusive; SE has been rather consistent with putting most of their games on PC. Console exclusive though, that could happen. Just look at Octopath Traveler.

We'll see. Still hoping for FF7 Remake on PC next year, but don't have much hopes.

HylianScribe

Oct 27, 2017
"Heawensword team" only refers to the few lead designers who left XIV development after Heawensward. Square has since changed their company structure from 11 divisions to only four, so there presumably is a lot of existing staff coming from other divisions to work on Yoshida's unit. They have also been hiring new staff for a next-gen AAA project and in 2016 Yoshida said he wants his studio to put out a new game on the level of Sony's first-party offerings within the next 3 to 5 years.

I was aware of the shift from 11 divisions to 4, and I am aware of what YoshiP has said in the past, but I was just skeptical about the timing (and that project being related to FF XVI). But if it really is ready to be shown off, then that's awesome because I very much welcome a YoshiP helmed FF XVI with XIV staff involvement.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly XVI feels like the first NEW FF game since XIII, because we've "known" about XV (it's characters and world and vibe) from Versus XIII. So going into XVI really feels even more exciting. Expecting the unexpected here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I just want a glimpse at artstyle, setting and protagonist. That's enough for now, gameplay would have been amazing but not sure how far this is off.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
If the Heavensward team really has been working on FFXVI, it would line up with the internal restructuring during Stormblood's development and the challenges that came from this restructuring in the middle of expansion development that Yoshida confirmed...I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to how game studios are structured so I could very well be ignorant here, but it sounds pretty plausible with both Yoshida confirming stuff was happening internally during Stormblood, and Stormblood's quality having a slight decline from Heavensward due to people being moved around and put into new environments.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Just wondered how Final Fantasy fans were feeling about the franchise at the moment?

FF15 seemed fairly divisive but 14 seems to be well liked

What would you want from FF16?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
  1. Diverse cast of characters
  2. No weeb and anime shit
  3. Medieval setting
  4. No Nomura character design
  5. A tactical combat or some sort, don't go full action for the love of God.
  6. Good side quests please

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Just wondered how Final Fantasy fans were feeling about the franchise at the moment?

FF15 seemed fairly divisive but 14 seems to be well liked

What would you want from FF16?
15 was complete dogshit and 14 is an MMO so it auto fails. What I want from 16? High fantasy/medieval setting, Sakimoto soundtrack, a great battle system( last good one was 12), a great story, big but not open world, no anime shit if possible.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I hope they go with a fantasy setting again like FFIX. And please make it a sub open world no large empty space again with shit to do. Dont mess this up SE.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
15 was complete dogshit and 14 is an MMO so it auto fails. What I want from 16? High fantasy/medieval setting, Sakimoto soundtrack, a great battle system( last good one was 12), a great story, big but not open world, no anime shit if possible.

We're never going back to that I'm afraid :(

I bet we get fantasy sci fi theme with a kick booty press a for awesome battle system :(

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I literally have no idea what people mean by "anime bullshit" in this thread

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
We're never going back to that I'm afraid :(

I bet we get fantasy sci fi theme with a kick booty press a for awesome battle system :(
I'm pretty confident it's gonna be high fantasy, just because the 14 team is doing it. Battle system though, I've no idea what to expect. I refuse to believe it can get worse than 15s battle system. Maybe something akin to Dark Souls, but then again, how do you incorporate a Dark Souls-style fighting system with party based combat?

APZonerunner on timing of the announcement, game engine and various other info.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
RE the various comments from ZhugeEX, Kagari, Navtra etc going back and forth on if the game was 'meant to be' at the previous PS5 showing alongside Athia... my take is this, based on the knowledge I have: in the grand scheme of things, this game was absolutely meant to be part of Sony's 'June drop' -- but this was the plan at the start of the year, before covid, when things shown at a Sony June media drop could then go on to have a presence at E3 and other major shows (presence could be simply having staff/spokespeople on stream and available for media interviews - doesn't necessarily mean playable).

So at the start of the year, that was to my knowledge absolutely the long-term plan. What I don't know and can't answer is how that changed in the face of Covid and the cancellation of in-person events; that impacts development but also any intended plans for promotion, right?

Anyway, what I'm saying is it's absolutely possible for both sides to be right in this: Zhuge says it was never gonna be at Sony's June event, Navtra says it was. I can say the original plan was a June reveal followed by elaboration in the following months, but that was pre-covid - it's very possible that as the virus took hold plans changed and it was never intended to be at the replacement, socially-distanced stream event.

This has happened a lot, I think. Everybody - Sony, MS, Nintendo, third parties - seems to be sitting on games that would've been announced in June so that they could put producers and directors in front of media at E3 or Gamescom or whatever. The cancellation of physical events has scattered announcements to the wind, which is fair enough. The perfect example is Nintendo & Mario, where Nintendo's E3 was gonna be led by Mario 30th celebrations, including presumably the game announcements... they held on to those announcements for another three months. For SE, it's not even just about covid, either - the start of the year was turbulent with FF7 and Avengers delays, which surely shifted their calendar around.

I will also say I think the game made less sense at that June event once the parameters seemed to settle on it being an event to more strictly showcase PS5's technical ability, thus the impressive Ratchet/Horizon demos etc. In that sense, Athia fit better, as Athia is SE's forward-looking, visually mindblowing project on new tech more-so than the next FF, which afaik will use a tried-and-true existing engine.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Ableism, inappropriate commentary
100% this.

Look, I never enjoyed MMOs before FFXIV and I know a lot of us didn't. The team behind this game is so talented that I overcame that hurdle because hot damn it's a good Final Fantasy.

But even for those of y'all who can't get past the MMO aspect, I get it, you don't have to play the game; just please trust me: they are the best team at Square overall. Incredibly talented and their passion and reverence for the franchise shines through constantly even as they pave bold new roads for what it means to be an FF.

It's a synonym for "Toriyama bullshit" to me. (I like anime, I hate Toriyama). I get why people conflate the stupidities of XIII with anime, if they're unfamiliar with the latter. All the spastic, physics-free leaping, plastic-skinned characters with perfect teeth and vacant eyes. All the 3rd grade dialogue and arcane mythological bullshit. I get the anger. They're wrong about anime, but I get it nevertheless.

Aug 7, 2020
RE the various comments from ZhugeEX, Kagari, Navtra etc going back and forth on if the game was 'meant to be' at the previous PS5 showing alongside Athia... my take is this, based on the knowledge I have: in the grand scheme of things, this game was absolutely meant to be part of Sony's 'June drop' -- but this was the plan at the start of the year, before covid, when things shown at a Sony June media drop could then go on to have a presence at E3 and other major shows (presence could be simply having staff/spokespeople on stream and available for media interviews - doesn't necessarily mean playable).

So at the start of the year, that was to my knowledge absolutely the long-term plan. What I don't know and can't answer is how that changed in the face of Covid and the cancellation of in-person events; that impacts development but also any intended plans for promotion, right?

Anyway, what I'm saying is it's absolutely possible for both sides to be right in this: Zhuge says it was never gonna be at Sony's June event, Navtra says it was. I can say the original plan was a June reveal followed by elaboration in the following months, but that was pre-covid - it's very possible that as the virus took hold plans changed and it was never intended to be at the replacement, socially-distanced stream event.

This has happened a lot, I think. Everybody - Sony, MS, Nintendo, third parties - seems to be sitting on games that would've been announced in June so that they could put producers and directors in front of media at E3 or Gamescom or whatever. The cancellation of physical events has scattered announcements to the wind, which is fair enough.

I will also say I think the game made less sense at that June event once the parameters seemed to settle on it being an event to more strictly showcase PS5's technical ability, thus the impressive Ratchet/Horizon demos etc. In that sense, Athia fit better, as Athia is SE's forward-looking, visually mindblowing project on new tech more-so than the next FF, which afaik will use a tried-and-true existing engine.

Whoa. Some actual reporting here! Thank you!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing they want more of this...
0hwhiucq0gw41.jpg

and less of this...
180-1805091_art-final-fantasy-character-design.png

(from art perspective at least XD)

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can people get excited for this when the last 2 mainline entries were an incomprehensible mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.