• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get hyped but it'll be a CGI trailer with a name drop and we'll be lucky to get a release window.

That said more FF is always a good thing.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
After Chrono cross and vagrant story It all (offline titles) went downhill at squaresoft, ffxii was half good due to Matsuno early departure.
Now let's see if ffxi/xiv team have the long lost squaresoft sparkle of old and can work at a mainline offline title.

what

FFIX, FFX, KH and KH2 all came out after Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure the idea that it was meant to be announced in June was already debunked as Kagari being given bad information from a source (who had mixed it up with Athia).

I reckon there's a good chance it will be revealed soon, but don't believe it was cut from the previous showcase.

Well so it's even more interesting now that Imran is also not denying a possibility.

I don't want to get into insider discussions, but I did feel Kagari didn't get a fair shake at the time, since we are on the outside of the box and have no way of knowing what is what.

Anyway I really hope we get to see the game

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Also can I ask where the rumour about FF14's team started? Can't find any source apart from this one website from OT.
Yeah, apart from Yoshida's comments (a game that has been in full-production since early 2019, seemingly), core team members of XIV haven't really worked on that game or others ever since Heavensward launched. There's no many more teams that could handle XVI in S-E (FF VII Remake will keep a large chunk busy, the Osaka team works exclusively on KH, Project Athia is a new IP by Luminous Studios...), so it only makes sense.

Especially since Yoshida (who would most likely be the producer) has expressed, iirc, ambition regarding future AAA games at S-E and, also, the mainline series (he prefers more classic settings, apparently).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Look... I don't believe this.........but if its real........oh but if its real???!!!!!
MSwk3RJ.gif

mh8NAqb.gif

wVFgYf5.gif

SB4an28.gif

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I would love a new final fantasy. 7 remake was one of the most fun games this gen for me. 15 I finished this past year and I can see the struggles with development, but all in all it was a good to great game. I wish I didnt buy it day one though as I'm still salty I haven't gotten the royal edition because I bought the special edition ff14 day one, but final fantasy has been one of my day one purchases since ff3(us). I just hope if it is ff16 it doesn't screw over day one purchasers as much and is more of a complete finished game. I'm okay with dlc later but to release a better base version later rubbed me the wrong way with ff15.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
You didn't answer my question. What do you think they are releasing in their next FY, if not this? Their current FY has FFVIIR and Avengers, the next one will have to have something so as not to be a massive decline.

Before E3 2019 a lot of people were in the "lol FFVIIR will be a 2022 title at the earliest lol" camp too.
I think they have a lot of AA stuff from non main studios and the demo from the other showcase.
Their non rpg stuff are steady, they got 3 Tomb Raiders faster than one FF. The triple A rpg studios has lots of development hell (not that they really have but my impression)

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could get excited about Medieval Final Fantasy.

I just don't care for anything in that setting. But I guess it's nice for people who are into that kinda thing =/

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
never played ffxiii or its spinoff, ffxv, and i don't touch mmos, so for me this would be the first final fantasy game since 2006.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Watch out, the article has no actual source or cites any real inside knowledge. They refer to some tweets and basically speculate that FFXVI might happen.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, i forgot to mention that FFVIIR sequels and KH series will still be single player, but i can see they trying to make the mainline FFs GAAS

That would make no real sense, but who knows I guess. At least not GaaS in the same way of the Avengers. Maybe something like Assassin's Creed or something I guess, though.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
Should be bans dished out for the "LOL WON'T SEE IT FOR 10 YEARS" patter.

I'd be excited to see something new from a numbered FF title, one of the reasons I didn't particularly care for FF7R prior to release was I'd rather see new entries than revisiting the old ones. (Though FF7R did turn out to be excellent.)

I've seen a few journalists hinting at it being revealed, so I expect it to show up sooner rather than later.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
I have little faith that it is going to be any good if it is being developed by the XIV team. There's a reason why XIV is often referred to as WoW with a Final Fantasy skin.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for the possibility, XIV is great and it'll be awesome to see those folks tackle a single-player game

FF is basically the franchise that gets me on board with systems too so it'd be hype to see it confirmed this early.

Also the doom-saying/"jokes" about FF's not releasing within 5 years of announcement has only ever applied to two games (XV and VII Remake), and the former was an early HD disaster project and VII Remake had well-known development troubles early on (it was CyberConnect2 until it wasn't).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Should be bans dished out for the "LOL WON'T SEE IT FOR 10 YEARS" patter.

you think they would get tired of making that one joke again and again, but…

Not only will we see see FFXVI released before the already-announced Elder Scrolls VI, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it released before (or at least contemporaneously with) Starfield.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this is exciting if true. I've just finshed heavensward ( which was amazing) and the writing/story has just been top drawer throughout, so very excited.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
you think they would get tired of making that one joke again and again, but…

Not only will we see see FFXVI released before the already-announced Elder Scrolls VI, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it released before (or at least contemporaneously with) Starfield.

What evidence do you have for this? What's changed at Square-Enix to make you think that they're going to release mainline Final Fantasy games any faster?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix likes to announce stuff several years before they're ready so I would not be surprised.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
So far in this thread:
1. See you in 2049!
2. MMO team? Must be bad.
3. Excitement at the prospect of a new FF (I'm in this one)

Despite 14 being received incredibly well and very popular, why is it always an uphill battle trying to tell people FF14 is good?

Please look forward to September XVIth.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Bought it and played the initial month it came with.

One of the worst playing MMO's I've touched, such an incredible bore gameplay wise, it was also pretty bad about zone cut offs, didn't really feel like an mmo.

I did like the visual design and VA tho.
Shadowbringers is the most critically acclaimed game on PC in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.