• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense.

Fleece people for money by charging money for a broken video game.
Make it free to play - get a spike in player base because of weird perverted curiousity.
Hopefully hook some idiots on microtransactions.
Abandon the game.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
If true,
Ayyy lmao to all y'all who paid $60 at launch or hundreds for the special editions I guess

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
large.jpg

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I heard about this happening in Australia from sources about a week ago, but don't think it has anything to do with the game going FTP. It's simply linked with EB Games opting to take advantage of being able to send majority of their stock back to the publisher to get a rebate. To say they have no more stock of the base game isn't true at all. Stores kept some stock on hand.

This makes more sense - doesn't quite add up to me. No sign of it happening at any UK retailers currently. Looking at the Xbox Most Played list it's still in the top 20 in the US and UK, in fact it's above AC Odyssey in the US for what those charts are worth.

Where I could see it making some sense is in being the first major step in attempting to recover the brand image and reputation that's been tarnished.

I feel like they'd be better off waiting until the game is further from launch, and in a better state before making that switch though. Now seems pretty dang early.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I've gotten more entertainment out of this shit show than actually playing most games from last year

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is the game that keeps on giving.

I feel bad for the people who actually paid 60 dollars for this though.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not to discount the prestigious reputation of "segmentnext" but this story feels a little dubious. Is there any evidence of EB games pulling the game?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
calling bullshit. it just isn't the type of game you can easily flip to F2P

not completely out of the realm of possibility either but most people cheering for the f2p deathblow never played it and don't know what they're talking about

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
What if instead of becoming free they just admit they fucked up and give refunds?

I feel like nothing less of a Final Fantasy 14 style "lets just make a new game" strategy will turn this around.

I agree. They need a big relaunch and collective bows on a stage somewhere.

Oct 29, 2017
Probably should've been F2P to begin with really. Had no business being a retail game at all, even if it wasn't a broken mess.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

not completely out of the realm of possibility either but most people cheering for the f2p deathblow never played it and don't know what they're talking about

Why not? There's already an aggressive microtransaction store.

Oct 29, 2017
The picture in the article just shows that it is in stock? I'm not sure why they think that picture means it's not in stock

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

But what else could you do? They either give it away for free or won't sell shit until nobody plays it anymore.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
F2p makes sense but there could be other reasons to pull games from shelves.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I've been waiting for this game to hit the 30$ mark, I really want to try it despite the poor reviews and problems.

I just saw it at Walmart for $40, but I couldn't talk myself into it.

I'm gonna have to hold off for a few weeks just in case this rumor is true.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
About a week before Christmas while I was checking out, a GS manager was telling the employee that they were to pull all physical copies of 76 and send it back to the warehouse for inventory or something to that effect. I never heard anything else about it though, could be unrelated.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I honestly don't think I would've downloaded this yet at this point if it had been released as F2P from the get-go.

Charging $60 for it was simply obscene.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't buy it. I do think it is likely to go to PS Plus and GWG next year though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I played it and it could totally be an f2p game.

The store is anemic. A few dozen costumes and emotes does not a f2p game make. Unless they suddenly decide to gate weight inv and perk gains behind some microtransactions, the game doesn't have the structure to support a traditional f2p transaction model AT ALL.

Last edited:

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The store is anemic. A few dozen costumes and emotes does not a few game make. Unless they suddenly decide to gate weight inv and perk gains behind some microtransactions, the game doesn't have the structure to support a traditional f2p transaction model AT ALL.

Also this. Everyone I know has at least 20 dollars worth of Atoms they got from playing and nothing to spend them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.