• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
anybody that looks at a The Flash and says "lets get dark and gritty" needs to be fired on the spot

OP
OP
rottenpie

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
production's trajectory from /tv/

>Phil Lord & Chris Miller's draft is an action/comedy Flash VS. Rogues story with Channing Tatum envisioned as Cold. They leave to direct SOLO.

>Seth Grahame-Smith's draft is a revised, more serious version of the Lord/Miller draft. Rogues are turned into ex-military rather than criminals. Smith is fired for being too unexperienced.

>Rick Famuyiwa's draft an action/thriller with Flash and Cyborg fighting Captain Cold and Golden Glider. There's a subplot about Barry Allen investigating the unlawful shooting of a black kid. Famuyiwa quits when Warner changes gears after BvS underperforms and wants a lighter movie.

>At some point it becomes a murder mystery with Doctor Light as the main villain, Captain Cold and Heatwave as secondaries and Killer Frost involved somehow.

>Joby Harold's draft is a straightforward adaptation of "Flashpoint" with skinny Superman, Batdad, Aquaman VS. Wonder Woman, etc. Goes through multiple rewrites following JL flopping and Ben Affleck deciding to quit being Batman.

>At some point becomes a story where Thawne takes over the world by preventing the Justice League from coming together and Barry must assemble their alt-versions to fix the timeline. At another point it becomes a Flashpoint-themed Flash/Batman team-up to send off Affleck and explore their mentor-mentee relationship. In some moment it was a Flash/Wonder Woman adventure since Gadot was the one proven popular DC superhero.

>Turned out by numerous directors like Ben Affleck, Robert Zemeckis, Sam Raimi, Marc Webb, Jordan Peele and Matthew Vaughn.

>Daley & Goldstein are brought in originally to do Flashpoint but as a fun 80's throwback before Warner changes gears again and decides go smaller with the story.

>Daley & Goldstein turn in their light adventure script, get the directing gig, but begin clashing with Ezra because he wants a dark Flashpoint adaptation even if he has to write it himself.

such a damn MESS

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its amazing how Marvel has done wonders with their movies but DC is just a mess.

Batman and Superman deserve better.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Is Cavill officially done or is that still a rumor?
I get the impression that he's not agreeing to do anything other than a Superman Movie (likely one he has more creative input on, maybe as a producer or by deciding on writers/directors). No cameos, crossovers etc, and WB don't want to do another Superman movie, so they are at an impasse.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
That's too bad. Sucks that WB couldn't get their act together.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Damn, I was really curious about the movie.

DC doesn't have to be like Marvel, there's so many comics to adapt.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Everyone wanted to get rid of the edgelord Snyderverse, it was always going to be messy no matter what since WW was a hit and Aquaman was already done shooting.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he was pretty terrible to watch in JL. Like just super annoying. "LOIS IS THE KEY" headass. Now they can make a lighthearted film.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had to open up room in his schedule to play Credence in 6 more Harry Potter prequels

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
More than anything I hope DC doesn't see Aquaman + Shazam doing well and just sees "light hearted = people love them now that must be all we zero in on" and go full light hearted, because it isn't going to go well for them either.

The DC universe (like Marvel) is more than capable of being balanced, the only reason people leaped onto the whole dark stuff they were doing is because they chose to open it with Superman. Superman is supposed to be a beacon of light, I get it it was a novice Superman but even a novice Superman has no right playing as dark as they did with it in MoS and then they immediately jump the character into BvS which necessitates an even darker feel just because of Batman.

Superman has dark stories too, but they jumped in on something like that and completely ignored the heart of the character. Superman done well should be the heart of the Justice League, and the DC movies Superman isn't that guy.

Barry Allen is very much a character you can go dark on to begin with and then lead him into the light, by going hard on the Reverse Flash arc for him. Barry's troubles with his parents and how the Reverse Flash works into that is very gripping and dark. The 1st season of the CW TV show struck a solid balance of fun and humor while having those dark, sad moments. The scene where Barry went back and saw his mom and had to let her die in that show was heartbreaking.

The problem has never just been "our movies are too dark so people hate them". DC seems to think their characters aren't good enough to take it slow and build up, or that people won't respect their characters without severe changes that hurt the characters like Batman killing a bunch of people and Superman not really being a proper good Superman, and it's led them down this path of rushing into all their major stories and cramming films with multiple of them and trying to make the characters something they're not and it shows. The audience can feel and notice that. The reason Aquaman and Shazam work isn't because they're light hearted or less dark, but because they made the decision to do that with characters that it actually fits to do that on and they are very well done and you can tell they actually respected the characters. The audience responds to that, too. The worst part is this is only really true for the cinematic DC films, their animated films/Young Justice/Doom Patrol are all slaying it and "get it"

Marvel takes their time and just does Guardians of the Galaxy - something almost no one in the general public knew much about - and they just kill it. They had Thanos do the snap. They're going to jump into Eternals. They've slowly built their storylines and characters up over 10 years, and even launched the MCU off the back of characters that really weren't popular in the public conscience and sold them to the public anyways, and that's because Marvel goes all in on their characters and has faith in their comic work to be strong enough to play great with audiences.

It pains me a bit because I love Marvel & DC both a lot, but DC's film division just seems afraid of their own characters to perform well on their own. I don't know why.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
How hard is it to make a movie about a guy who runs really fast
220px-SonicMovieTeaserPoster.jpg

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
It's been years since I read Flash comics, but I don't remember Barry being such a goofball and there for comedy relief. Hated the direction they went with his character and couldn't stand the power rangers like suit. Start over.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Damn shame. Miller is such a good actor and he was one of the few bright spots in JL.

But I dunno why they ever agreed to let him write the script lmao.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I liked him in the role honestly. Seems like he's being pretty stubborn, hopefully it works out for him.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest disappointment with this news is that Morrison was dragged into all of this lol.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
More than anything I hope DC doesn't see Aquaman + Shazam doing well and just sees "light hearted = people love them now that must be all we zero in on" and go full light hearted, because it isn't going to go well for them either.

The only thing DC have been consistent with is overcorrecting, and learning the wrong lessons from their failings and the competitor's successes.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Man this whole dceu soft reboot is a fucking mess. The eventual justice league 2 is gonna be awkward as fuck

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
man who cracked the most jokes in justice league disagreed with the lighter tone

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
WW wasnt that light hearted and I doubt WW84 will be as well. It's about finding the right tone for the right character. Flash shouldn't be dark out of the gate, which led to a similar flop with Superman.