• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit. I wanted just one singular movie, not a damn TV series. But knowing Disney and their business strategy, it makes absolute sense that it comes out as a TV show.

Oh well, at least we get Kenobi. I've never been a fan of more prequel films, but the only one I had any interest in is a Kenobi film. There's so much potential there to just do a simple, stoic Western. It's just full to the brim with character drama potential. You're talking about an Exiled Knight that witnessed the collapse of his noble order by his own apprentice who has to come to grips with this new world while secretly maintaining his Jedi Code. It'd make for a killer Space Western.

I'm talking the whole movie set on Tatooine, the only off-planet stuff being possible cutaways to the villains searching for Kenobi. Just perfect film material. I don't know if I want to see a show drag that out.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly is it unbelievable? Grievous didn't exist until he appeared in Genndry Tarkovsky's Clone Wars in 2004. Which, as you might know, was two years after Attack of the Clones was released. How would you suppose they would have included Grievous earlier in the prequels if he didn't even exist until a year before Revenge of the Sith?
I don't care about the timeline in which he's officially created on paper. I am referring to it being a wasted opportunity to have had him appear in only one movie that fails to demonstrate his importance in the war. My contention is them not coming up with the idea of General Grievous sooner to have included him in the entire trilogy from the beginning.

Put another way: If he appeared in only Episode 3 and the Clone Wars TV show made him out to be irrelevant, I wouldn't find it so bad. But retrospectively the first two movies feel like they're missing a very important part (Grievous) because he wasn't conceptualized until it was too late, and he was thrown into the very last movie and further developed as being extremely instrumental in the war a la the show. This is why I love the show and not so much the movies.

Even before Grievous, Nute Gunray filled the role as head honcho from the first movie onward, but he's absent the second movie and he's discarded in the third, while Grievous is simultaneously introduced. It's messy.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yessss

Even a better idea if it's a serie, the more I see Obi-Wan McGregor the better
And it doesn't have to rely on box office revenue to have to a sequel so perfect

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
When did they start hiring competent director/writers?

About the same time Ewan was a competent actor?

tenor.gif

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see Ewan McGregor age into Alec Guinness over the course of the show. Bonus points if Jimmy Smits shows up looking the same.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I was in my early 20's and while I thought the execution of the actual movies was horrible, I've always liked the rich lore and iconography of them. They were crap movies, but they established a great playground. And I'd say I do feel kinda nostalgic for them (and for the IRL era) when I see Darth Maul or full makeup Padme, etc.

This is me. The acting being bad is a major issue for a film, but the structure of the prequels (world, lore, themes, sets, and tech) are all top-tier for Star Wars. I could spend hours just looking at the ship designs.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about the timeline in which he's officially created on paper. I am referring to it being a wasted opportunity to have had him appear in only one movie that fails to demonstrate his importance in the war. My contention is them not coming up with the idea of General Grievous sooner to have included him in the entire trilogy from the beginning.

Put another way: If he appeared in only Episode 3 and the Clone Wars TV show made him out to be irrelevant, I wouldn't find it so bad. But retrospectively the first two movies feel like they're missing a very important part (Grievous) because he wasn't conceptualized until it was too late, and he was thrown into the very last movie and further developed as being extremely instrumental in the war a la the show. This is why I love the show and not so much the movies.

Even before Grievous, Nute Gunray filled the role as head honcho from the first movie onward, but he's absent the second movie and he's discarded in the third, while Grievous is simultaneously introduced. It's messy.
Sure, I agree on some level, but this is mainly on Lucas for some reason wanting a different villain for every movie. In TPM this was Darth Maul, in AotC it was Dooku and in Revenge of the Sith it was Grievous. He was literally only meant to be a 'villain of the week'-type foe. Then Tarkovsky took him and made him into this amazing character that quickly became a fan favourite.

On one hand, it's baffling that George Lucas would want a brand new villain to beat every movie, especially because the OT had such a great single main villain for the entire trilogy. On the other, if Lucas didn't Grievous wouldn't exist at all.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational streaming service!

Disney is coming out swinging with Disney+ it seems. And I'm totally on board with an Obi-Wan series.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
McGregor is 14 years younger than Alec Guinness was in ANH. So he's at the perfect age to do Tatooine Obi-Wan.

And there are a lot stories they can tell during this period. Creative people create. Just because you can't figure anything out doesn't mean someone else is as uncreative as you.

What I imagine is a story full of regret and grief with hints of hope. I could see Obi-wan bottoming out and really doubting everything he once believed. But trying to hold it together. He's on edge about Luke. Communicates here and there with Bail Organa for updates on Leia. Maybe some new flashbacks with Anakin (Hayden of course). Helps out in local affairs to give some daily meaning to life. There's room for a Seven Samurai or Yojimbo type story to take place. If they are going for something less actiony that may be why they want a TV series in Disney +.

It's a good thing the Star Wars fan base is very diverse. There's plenty of room for everyone to like or dislike any parts of the franchise. I'm comfortable with others liking the things I don't like. No harm to me. I'm happy people are finding something to connect to.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
McGregor is 14 years younger than Alec Guinness was in ANH. So he's at the perfect age to do Tatooine Obi-Wan.

And there are a lot stories they can tell during this period. Creative people create. Just because you can't figure anything out doesn't mean someone else is as uncreative as you.

What I imagine is a story full of regret and grief with hints of hope. I could see Obi-wan bottoming out and really doubting everything he once believed. But trying to hold it together. He's on edge about Luke. Communicates here and there with Bail Organa for updates on Leia. Maybe some new flashbacks with Anakin (Hayden of course). Helps out in local affairs to give some daily meaning to life. There's room for a Seven Samurai or Yojimbo type story to take place. If they are going for something less actiony that may be why they want a TV series in Disney +.

It's a good thing the Star Wars fan base is very diverse. There's plenty of room for everyone to like or dislike any parts of the franchise. I'm comfortable with others liking the things I don't like. No harm to me. I'm happy people are finding something to connect to.

This, thanks for sharing, it's exactly the reason I want this so badly. Just shared the news with my brother and he's also hyped, though a bit worried that we're in another on/off loop again. This is the exact opposite situation of Solo; there's a very vocal core fanbase that will build the hype for it. I'm kinda hopeful it's a Disney+ series now just for the sake of runtime, but would totally still love a movie as well.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah.

Ewan was one of the only bright spots in the prequel saga. Really been wanting this for awhile.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
If ya'll wanted a movie you should've seen Solo. The standalone films are dead.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
As much as I don't give a flying fuck about Obi Wan, I far prefer a miniseries to a film. A miniseries can be a more grounded, character-centric piece. A feature film would need space battles and big fights and all that jazz. An Obi Wan story after III needs to stay small.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
They just keep spending time in the same part of the galaxy lol...

Also Obi Wan probably has the most story in the canon if you include the Clone Wars. Not a character I'm clamoring for.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If ya'll wanted a movie you should've seen Solo. The standalone films are dead.

i saw it two times,

what else?

Such a good scene and after so many seasons and so much build up of Maul and his mythos it was totally earned. I love how they set it up to be some sort of epic battle but it ends with Obi demonstrating how much training and communing with the force he has done while in exile.
what you mean?

it is an epic battle

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, he was the best thing about the prequels and I'd be happy to see him give the role another go.

On the other hand, if Disney really is fretting over how little young people care about Star Wars, maybe they should stop bringing back nostalgia bait characters and events related to the OT and branch out like the old expanded universe did.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
With how The Mandolorian is shaping up and looking, I think this is fantastic news. Stories of Ben in exile works better in long-form and it means we ultimately get more content with a slight production hit.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really is laughable with people trying to sell this as a concept above a Han Solo character film, trying to mask that their interest is really just with McGregor being able to reprise as opposed to not getting Harrison Ford. The issues with the film we did get certainly weren't that of the character itself.

It's just hard to see seasons worth of Kenobi themed content on Tatooine, which realistically is what would fit with both what we know and the type of person he was.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It really is laughable with people trying to sell this as a concept above a Han Solo character film, trying to mask that their interest is really just with McGregor being able to reprise as opposed to not getting Harrison Ford. The issues with the film we did get certainly weren't that of the character itself.

It's just hard to see seasons worth of Kenobi themed content on Tatooine, which realistically is what would fit with both what we know and the type of person he was.
Well it's said to be a limited series so at most we'll probably get 6 episodes and we're done. 8 if we're lucky.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Star wars TV projects sound a lot more exciting that all the movies that we got. Hopefully they turn out well.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get all the hype surrounding a Kenobi anything. I have 0 knowledge of the EU mind you, but based on the movies he destroyed Anakin and for all we know he just went to Tatooine and got space dementia there. He spent 18? years "looking after" Luke but in reality he was the creepy grandpa (think of Herbert in Family Guy, Blue Harvest nailed it) who was probably drunk all the time and shot desert squirrels for fun. Then Luke was old enough and he taught him badly in 5 minutes how to wield a lightsaber. Then he just force died. I'm sorry, I can't.