• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
If these are all still tied to EA account systems or if Origin still has to run, is there really any benefit to them being on Steam?
Let's put it this way. Dwarf Fortress is a free game. It's going to release on Steam at some point in the future, and it will cost money there, while continuing to be free elsewhere. It will be the same game, except it'll include a newcomer-friendly graphics pack (and lots of those already exist for free). You might be thinking that's obviously a bad deal, but I'm likely to buy it, and I'm not alone. Steam's feature set is so useful to me that I would rather buy a game there than download it legally for free as a non-Steam game.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Releasing on a new platform, it'd be great if EA used this as an opportunity to revisit their older games and make improvements where they make sense. Treat this re-entry to Steam as cause for celebration - with qualify of life improvements to boot - and the community will be even more thrilled.

As others have suggested, how about adding native controller support to the Mass Effect games when the modding community has already shown the UI was there in the first place?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
If these are all still tied to EA account systems or if Origin still has to run, is there really any benefit to them being on Steam?

There is, because then the games would work properly and hassle-free with Steam's various features like Steam Input, Steam Proton, Steam Family Sharing, Steam Remote Play etc. For example, Origin has given me trouble when trying to play EA games with a Steam Controller. If the games were available on Steam I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if putting Battlefront II on Steam would breath new life to the PC version.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
70% is better than 0%, many people that don't play their games because of origin will start buy their games again if they are released on steam.

True, but you have to remember that the majority of the money from MTX is from whales, and usually whales aren't picky about where the game is, they just want the game.

Edit: Although, I don't see why those people wouldn't just stick with the origin option. Unless they're worried that they'll only start to get EA games from Steam.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Oh yes please! I shall buy so much of their stuff to support the move back!

Hopefully the original and best Garden Warfare will make a comeback on Steam.
The other two were kind of shit!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Origin had a surge of new players thanks to Apex Legends and people playing FIFA played the game for years on Origin, people are not picky for these games.

Some people yes, some people no. For EA to return to Steam it's not necessary for all people to not play on Origin, just enough of them so that returning to Steam will be a net positive.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i actually don't mind Origin but if their games came back that'd be cool.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's weird, I don't have any particular strong feelings for this announcement. There is no "In your face EA, you're crawling back!" that I've seen some people expressing and it's more like "yeah, that's cool I guess".

Probably because modern EA produces almost nothing of interest to me and I already own titles up my alley like Mass Effect 3 and Titanfall 2 on Origin. Also, this seems like an obvious push for their subscription service and see Steam as just bonus extra revenue on the side.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
cool, I'm looking forward to playing dead space 3 and mass effect 3 and some of the Star Wars games for the first time

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happier if they were to release the CnC collection on GOG personally but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they make an announcement soon. I'm anxious to see what this actually means and I have $313 burning a hole in my Steam wallet.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is there any chance the Steaming mug video was actually related to the new NFS: Heat game instead of Steam?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You can use Steam Link for external games added to Steam manually. Steam Link is just an optimized "Remote desktop" style application.
It's kind of a pain to add Origin games to Steam though, isn't it? I haven't looked into it in a while, but I remember it being a bit of a process.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a pain to add Origin games to Steam though, isn't it? I haven't looked into it in a while, but I remember it being a bit of a process.
Not really, the main problem is that Origin (and uPlay) start up can fuck up BPM as they are not made for that easily.
Now, Windows Store games are the ones that are hard to link but there is a separate program to do that (which I cant remember the name right now sorry).

Didn't Steam open up their servers to devs as part of their cut already?
Yes / No. For now, they can be used in case of some events when they expect an increased flow as a support, but not as the core server.

Yea, but if EA just gifts everyone an extra copy on Steam, where does that cut come from?
Devs can generate game keys in Steam for free. Only issue would be Steam to approve it and they generally do as long as they dont look like a fake / enormous request (which EA wouldnt have the issue for).

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, the main problem is that Origin (and uPlay) start up can fuck up BPM as they are not made for that easily.
Now, Windows Store games are the ones that are hard to link but there is a separate program to do that (which I cant remember the name right now sorry).
I see. Maybe I was thinking of something else then, sorry.

Also, had no clue that there's a method to get Windows Store games into Steam... Might have to check that out sometime. That's cool.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a matter of convenience. Manually launching Origin to manage the game's install, having to deal with it as a separate process after you close the game, manually adding every game to Steam as a shortcut versus the game just being on Steam, sharing a common install/uninstall and working with Steam's features.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Last time I tried it, SteamgridDB seemed to work quite well for adding Origin games. It finds your installed games from other launchers and you just have to click an "import" button and it puts the games in your Steam library, adding launch options to make sure the game gets the overlay.

At least it worked fine for me with Battlefield V. I think it also automatically got cover art for games, but only in BPM mode.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I tried it, SteamgridDB seemed to work quite well for adding Origin games. It finds your installed games from other launchers and you just have to click an "import" button and it puts the games in your Steam library, adding launch options to make sure the game gets the overlay.

At least it worked fine for me with Battlefield V. I think it also automatically got cover art for games, but only in BPM mode.
I'll be honest, I had no clue SteamGridDB had that functionality, though I see it on the site now. That's really cool, I'm gonna give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'll be honest, I had no clue SteamGridDB had that functionality, though I see it on the site now. That's really cool, I'm gonna give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.

It's been a little buggy for me for some things, but I think overall its a pretty sweet program. I hope eventually Steam takes notice and adds similar features to Steam itself (automatic addition of games from other launchers, along with proper cover art).

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I don't care about most of EAs modern output apart from maybe Need for Speed and Jedi Fallen Order but getting the Titanfall games on Steam could be nice.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
You can use Steam Link for external games added to Steam manually. Steam Link is just an optimized "Remote desktop" style application.

yeah With some games and it's almost never as good as native steam games.

steam also gives better controller options for native steam games. Community layouts are a really good feature

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Sin_titulo-1.png

Last of my posts

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow Apex Legends and BF V on Steam. Also, a subscription on Steam? Thats a first. I wonder how it will look.