• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been a subscriber since the program was announced and it's a big reason why I did most of my gaming on Xbox.

About dam time it came to PS4, the reason for it not being there never was clear.

I'll never forget the thread that was created when the service was announced. I'm not sure if it was the Sony bias over at the old site but so many people were concerned it was a terrible path forward for the industry and Sony was doing everyone a favor.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if that picture is legit but EA's statement about EA Access coming to another major platform only makes sense if it's PS4 and Sony has been talking about PSN becoming more open lately so I expect this to happen relatively soon.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget the thread that was created when the service was announced. I'm not sure if it was the Sony bias over at the old site but so many people were concerned it was a terrible path forward for the industry and Sony was doing everyone a favor.
I think there's a legitimate argument that it might be the start of a bad path for the industry. If it gets to the point where there's an EA subscription and an Activision subscription and a Ubisoft subscription and so forth, that's going to really strain a lot of goodwill.

That doesn't mean that EA Access, by itself as a standalone product, is a bad service though - right now it seems that for anyone who likes even a quarter of EA's output, it does a reasonable good job of justifying its value.

(It also doesn't mean that Sony were thinking about the health of the industry when they denied it - I think the people suggesting that this was true were likely a bit naively optimistic).

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I remember subscribing to EA Access for a month to play Peggle 2, it was pretty fun. But then like 8 months later I realized I forgot to unsubscribe and was getting charged every month for a service I never used. All I played was Peggle, I could have bought it like 6 times over.

Don't forget to unsub when you're done kids.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If anything this decreases the chances of that ever happening even further. There's less reason for some to subscribe to EA Access when one of the EA games they want to play is already playable with their existing PS+ sub.
This seems like a genuinely good point, and in the absence of what we've seen with Games With Gold, I would totally agree. It would seem completely logical and reasonable that having EA games given out to Plus subscribers in general would reduce the value of EA Access and that this would mean few to no EA games available on Plus

However, since EA Access launched on Xbox One, these EA games have been on GWG:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
Plants vs. Zombies
Dead Space
Peggle
Burnout Paradise
Dragon Age: Origins
Battlefield 3
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Army of Two
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Dante's Inferno
Dragon Age II

I don't have a Gold subscription so I genuinely started checking the list thinking that it'd back up your argument, but...it really does appear that EA isn't bothered about having its games be part of both a platform holder subscription service and EA Access, so maybe EA Access on PS4 really would increase the chance of EA games on Plus.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This seems like a genuinely good point, and in the absence of what we've seen with Games With Gold, I would totally agree. It would seem completely logical and reasonable that having EA games given out to Plus subscribers in general would reduce the value of EA Access and that this would mean few to no EA games available on Plus

However, since EA Access launched on Xbox One, these EA games have been on GWG:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
Plants vs. Zombies
Dead Space
Peggle
Burnout Paradise
Dragon Age: Origins
Battlefield 3
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Army of Two
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Dante's Inferno
Dragon Age II

I don't have a Gold subscription so I genuinely started checking the list thinking that it'd back up your argument, but...it really does appear that EA isn't bothered about having its games be part of both a platform holder subscription service and EA Access, so maybe EA Access on PS4 really would increase the chance of EA games on Plus.
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks. Can't help but notice that it's all old games though (believe all are original Xbox 360 games?), those probably don't get people to sub to EA Access as much as newer, current-gen games do. We've recently also been seeing some PS3 EA games coming to Now as others have also pointed out as well.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks. Can't help but notice that it's all old games though (believe all are original Xbox 360 games?), those probably don't get people to sub to EA Access as much as newer, current-gen games do. We've recently also been seeing some PS3 EA games coming to Now as others have also pointed out as well.

EA will likely never put their newer titles on PSN or XBL for free. I never understood Sony's decision and still don't. Sony has their own video store yet they allow Netflix. Are they afraid their customers might actually prefer EA Access to PSN Plus? Maybe if this were last gen but multipleyr behind a paywall pretty much confirms they will get a ton of Plus members now.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
EA will likely never put their newer titles on PSN or XBL for free. I never understood Sony's decision and still don't. Sony has their own video store yet they allow Netflix. Are they afraid their customers might actually prefer EA Access to PSN Plus? Maybe if this were last gen but multipleyr behind a paywall pretty much confirms they will get a ton of Plus members now.
The only reason I can think of as to why Sony might disallow EA Access is that they think it opens up the opportunity of bringing those games to Plus and Now instead.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Only if EA had any good games worth playing then this would be exciting, but I honestly don''t care one bit about Battlefield and their sport games

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony were worried about EA Access competing with PlayStation Plus.

I think they were worried about the idea of multiple separate third party subscriptions (kicked off by EA Access) competing with PlayStation Now.

The biggest selling point of PlayStation Now is that it provides immediate access to hundreds of games from a wide variety of genres, publishers and franchises. Its biggest weakness is probably that it's a secondary subscription - some people may prefer it to Plus, but the majority would buy Plus over Now. So a sudden abundance of third party subscription services could drive third party games away from PlayStation Now (reducing its value), and leaving it even more vulnerable to cancellations and lack of interest if players shifted their secondary subscriptions to EA Access or Ubisoft Club or Activision Lootbox Monthly or whatever.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I can think of as to why Sony might disallow EA Access is that they think it opens up the opportunity of bringing those games to Plus and Now instead.

I don't think Sony were worried about EA Access competing with PlayStation Plus.

I think they were worried about the idea of multiple separate third party subscriptions (kicked off by EA Access) competing with PlayStation Now.

The biggest selling point of PlayStation Now is that it provides immediate access to hundreds of games from a wide variety of genres, publishers and franchises. Its biggest weakness is probably that it's a secondary subscription - some people may prefer it to Plus, but the majority would buy Plus over Now. So a sudden abundance of third party subscription services could drive third party games away from PlayStation Now (reducing its value), and leaving it even more vulnerable to cancellations and lack of interest if players shifted their secondary subscriptions to EA Access or Ubisoft Club or Activision Lootbox Monthly or whatever.

Plus has always seemed like a bonus but that has slowly faded with less titles now that they don't offer any Vita games. It's turned more into a mandatory service for cloud saves and multiplayer.

I still think PS Now's biggest weakness is there are no new titles. EA has moved onto it's Premiere service and Sony seems very reluctant to do so with Now. I could see the worry with too many services but I don't think EA has plans to release it's games on Now or Plus regardless of Sony blocking it, at least not anything recent. Not sure what will happen when Microsoft starts their streaming service and what's going to happen with Google. It will be very interesting.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
It was just a matter of time and it took a lot of time too. Weird since this is EA

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
"We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that maybe the last guy that nixed it was full of shit"

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
On launch yeah, once a game gets added to the Access Vault you can play the full game as much as you want. Premier also isn't even on XB1 yet so we probably shouldn't expect that on PS4 anytime soon.

It makes sense they wouldn't do Premier on consoles given it's basically Now or GP on the device.

To me, this change would make sense given Sony are trying to broaden service penetration and money from PSN.

It's an easy money transaction. Yeah, you can sell the subscription and we take a cut. EA's not Netflix or Spotify and too big to cut around PSN for stuff like that.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This could be a complete coincidence but I thought I'd just mention it anyway. Right now there's quite a big EA sale in the European PlayStation Store (not sure if there's also a sale in other regions), maybe EA is trying to get in some final sales before releasing Access?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Think this is the point in the gen where Sony is okay with adding certain features even though they've not buckled in the past. It could be that they're at a point where they have PS5 backwards compatibility ready to offer better value on a new console, but that is probably just me dreaming out loud.

EA Access was never good value for me personally, as I have very little interest in any of their current efforts, the ones I do are the smaller games like Unravel and A Way Out which are cheap enough for it to be worth just picking up independently.... and they fucked up Star Wars so even less hope for a game like Fallen Order which actually could end up being good.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony gonna play all their aces for the ps5 launch. If they could offer EA Access on it's own as well as those games as part of PS Now that would be a killer move.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This could be a complete coincidence but I thought I'd just mention it anyway. Right now there's quite a big EA sale in the European PlayStation Store (not sure if there's also a sale in other regions), maybe EA is trying to get in some final sales before releasing Access?
Huh, there's one on the American store too. EU and America rarely get the same sales, so it could be something.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
EA added new games to PS Now since February after being absent for a year, so clearly something has been going on behind the curtains.

Sony gets more 3rd party games on their PS Now service and in return, EA gets their service on PS4. I could see that being a deal that was made.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
The influx of PS3 EA titles to PSNow over the last two months seems a little coincidental.
In March and February they've added these titles from EA to PS Now:
  • Battlefield 4 (PS3)
  • Dead Space 3 (PS3)
  • Mirror's Edge (PS3)
  • Battlfield Hardline
  • Need for Speed Rivals
So you're definitely on to something! Streamed PS3 titles is a way to have the EA Access vault be more than just PS4 titles.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
If it's true then I guess they will put BFV on EA Access the day it launches on PS4.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Premier will never happen, EA wants to sell their AAA games to the console crowd and they don't Sony or MS to eat 30% from Premier subs.
There's value on PC when they can keep 100% of the revenue
Yeah, makes sense, still a shame if it's just EA Access as Premier is all I'd be interested in on PS4 considering they won't have last gen games to make the services really worth it. I have pretty much every EA game I want on the PS4 now, Sims 4 would be about all it'd offer me.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Cool its finally coming to PS4.
Can't say I particularly care as EA'S output the last few years beyond Battlefield doesn't interest me much (I like Star Wars but they've bungled that).

The good thing is EA Access/Premier on PC has turned out to be a nice program that informs me through other users whether or not an EA game is worth it like at launch like Anthem, SW BF 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, etc which were all duds.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I was intrigued at first. I hadn't read much on EA Access since it's never been available on

Went through the list of available games and I was not impressed.

The one game I would play - Sims 4 - I just bought on sale for $10.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Titanfall 2, the only EA game worth playing this gen, is on sale now (and usually multiple times a year) for half the cost of a one month sub.