• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Microsoft and Sony do Directs of their own. I mean, they have to with the new systems coming out.

Oct 26, 2017
Banning large gatherings of people is just the kick in the pants VR needs!

No disrespect for anyone's health intended. This is the correct decision given what we currently know.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for official confirmation, but cancelling the show floor seems like a prudent thing to do. If it is indeed canceled, I hope that Nintendo in particular streams its Direct and streams a few days of Treehouse from NOA HQ.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I hope that Microsoft and Sony do Directs of their own. I mean, they have to with the new systems coming out.
Yea i would guess that the week of e3( week of june 9th) well get a pre recorded presentation from ea, ubi, ms that week. The e3 week is way to important when it comes to media coverage.

I just hope that IF e3 is indeed cancelled, that the esa is also sharing how they will fill in that week. If they dont the non gaming media will probably think all is cancelled.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

they should. Its a good, safe way to capitalize on e3 time. I imagine many of ubisoft and ea's announcements are reliant on the official unveiling of these systems so that has to happen first.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Well, look on the bright side...

Maybe we can get our new trailers and game announcements early?

Oct 30, 2017
But..but Trump told me the virus would just go away.

giphy.gif

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably the right decision.
But I don't understand the E3-hate that has developed on this board.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah sure ! ^^
I don't think it would have been a good idea to that in a conference, it could have backfired to Sony imo
Well then. I always thought of that example of something that went absolutely viral and was one of the reasons for Sony's runaway success, but if it was not a part of their conference then indeed it might not be necessary to attend.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take - this could end up being a good thing for E3. Now they have 15 months to 'soul search', mend burnt bridges, and figure out how to come back strong in 2021. Putting on bad, underwhelming event this year considering where both industry and public perception are would've been disastrous.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
If there's no E3 though, is it really? They could just say screw it and do it at their own pace, and have the benefit of not lumping it in with other announcements so they get the spotlight.
The problem with that is that it could really confuse consumers. A lot of people take one or 2 days off from work to bingewatch the conferences. For decades it has always been that.

I think esa would rather have them all in one week and still call it e3. If they dont than its 100% garanteed that e3 wont be back ever and i dont think esa would lets that money go.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
What happened? I thought NeoGAF and ResetERA always, always, always loved E3. The boards are notoriously busy whenever E3 rolls around.
People are allowed to change their minds. E3 refocusing into a half-assed PAX that pandered to tastemakers and was lighter on the reveals, along with things like Sony not attending, means that modern E3 is barely a shadow of the glorious E3s of old.

Add into it that the ESA is a shit organization that does things like support shady causes and dox reporters, along with increased knowledge of the crunch required by studios for E3 and then the bait and switch of stuff like Anthem and you understand why some people are perfectly happy letting E3 die. Because we're never getting the classic E3 back.

So, yeah. Just because some people are approving of this move doesn't mean these people didn't like E3 at one point. They just don't like what it's become.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still love the atmosphere of E3, but in recent years it's become increasingly apparent that having every major announcement appear during a one week period in June isn't the best way to go about things, for both the consumer and the publishers

There's the competition for attention, the press conference hours that basically put the middle finger up at all of Europe, it's pretty expensive to go in person even if you are a member of the press, developers are pressured to get demos out for games that are still months away from being "done"... Combine that with the ESA messing up big time in a variety of ways and it's not exactly appealing.

And things like Nintendo Directs, PSX, even the likes of PAX have proven that people will still tune in and watch your announcements even if they're not at E3. If anything I imagine the analytics show it's better to do just that.

So yeah, while it'll be a shame to lose "Gamer Christmas", I think it's much more enjoyable and logical to have everything spread out over the entire year and I won't really miss it at the end of the day.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The problem with that is that it could really confuse consumers. A lot of people take one or 2 days off from work to bingewatch the conferences. For decades it has always been that.

I think esa would rather have them all in one week and still call it e3. If they dont than its 100% garanteed that e3 wont be back ever and i dont think esa would lets that money go.
I guess, I think people would adjust pretty quickly though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the death knell of e3 in general. I don't see it ever regaining the status it once held
Yep. I think that was going to happen anyway, eventually, but this will accelerate the process by a few years. Publishers will move away from revealing stuff at E3 this year by necessity, and some of them will not move back.

Can't say I will miss the event itself. However, I did like how E3 funneled most of the big news and releases into a short period of time. It acted as a central place to figure out which games/hardware to get excited for.
It definitely did that, but at the same time, it also buried a lot of news. It always seemed like even the most informed gamers would miss out on several announcements from E3. That was one of the reasons why the industry started to develop a habit of making announcements in the week (or, nowadays, weeks) leading up to E3, to separate out those games from the noise of the conference.

If the industry just decided that late May to early July was Announcement Season and did some rough coordination to ensure that they weren't stepping on each others toes too badly, that'd probably have most of the benefits of E3.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I guess, I think people would adjust pretty quickly though.
Well the problem is with e3 publishers usually take the time in europe into account. Except for sony the last 3years.

But still i dont think esa will roll over so easily. I think they rather do the converences and stream it on the e3 youtube page so that the name can still be relevent.

If they skip this year its basically e3 is dead. And i mean dead dead, not e3 2007 dead.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
People are allowed to change their minds. E3 refocusing into a half-assed PAX that pandered to tastemakers and was lighter on the reveals, along with things like Sony not attending, means that modern E3 is barely a shadow of the glorious E3s of old.

Add into it that the ESA is a shit organization that does things like support shady causes and dox reporters, along with increased knowledge of the crunch required by studios for E3 and then the bait and switch of stuff like Anthem and you understand why some people are perfectly happy letting E3 die. Because we're never getting the classic E3 back.

So, yeah. Just because some people are approving of this move doesn't mean these people didn't like E3 at one point. They just don't like what it's become.

It's a message board. Everyone hates everything.

Also, seeing your username and avatar combo here for the first time is breaking my brain.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If sony and others are smart they will start reeling in all those devs. Try to take away what's left of E3 and end it once and for all.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this means we get more downloadable demos during the year instead of having to watch them on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.