• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's been discussed for the last 2 years already it isn't a new development.

e3 has gone almost entirely consumer, news outlets struggle waiting in lines to get good looks at games and appointments are few and far between for many outlets due to the influx of demand. The show is a tourist attraction now, which came to a massive head last year and this year AND now it's about to be cancelled leading to the superior format of personal stage shows and directs. Sony playing music on stage for 40 minutes isn't how I want to consume my news and it appears many others feel the same.
Not to mention the excessive rumors of company's pulling out like Sony already has and MS doesn't even have their show on that campus anymore.

you can put 2 and 2 together easily.

I hear what you're saying, but it is still speculation saying that 'E3 is dead' until we know more. The only valid comment is "E3 2020 is dead". The format of E3 may well change in the future....but I personally do not think the E3 event will die outright

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sony silence is paying off huh? But on a serious note, that sucks for the local economy and studios.
Yeah, but at leas they giving people plenty of heads up. I was listening to a podcast where they got invited to an event and they cancelted the event and didn't tell them until it was too late to cancel the plane tickets. they had upto 48 hours to cancel, they found out at hour 40.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Well, pal....I don't think you understand the meaning of "IF". That's exactly my point...who knows what will happen? So calling the delay an "almost guarantee" is completely ridiculous.
I never used the words "almost guarantee" in my original statement I said probably which means it's more like to happen then not, not that it's definitely going to happen. I'm no doctor but I don't think it's crazy to say there is still a while left before we've heard the end of Coronavirus and should that be the case then, yeah they almost certainly will be delayed.

Right now we are in the probably stage.
June-July is the almost certain stage.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
hopefully they all put out directs. feel bad for the people who were looking forward to going there.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin for E3. It's already facing am irellevency crisis. It won't survive seeing just how unnecessary it is.

Could easily see last year being the last e3. I won't miss it at this point.

E3 died a long time ago anyhow, I just want game announcements and footage. Don't care how you give them to me.

This. I don't care about your shitty stage shows with awkward presenters. Just show announce your game, show a trailer, preferably gameplay, and give the date. All the hype cycle shit can go away forever.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hear what you're saying, but it is still speculation saying that 'E3 is dead' until we know more. The only valid comment is "E3 2020 is dead". The format of E3 may well change in the future....but I personally do not think the E3 event will die outright
The way it exists now has been spiraling downhill for years, whatever definition you want to use as "e3 is dead" is up to you but the show will not exist in its current format thus the thing is dead.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never used the words "almost guarantee" I said probably which means it's more like to happen then not, not that it's definitely going to happen. I'm no doctor but I don't think it's crazy to say there is still a while left before we've heard the end of Coronavirus and should that be the case then, yeah they probably will be delayed.

The other person I quoted originally said "almost guarantee".

You said "almost certain". Basically the same thing dude.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is once again ahead of the curve. Sony did well too.

Seriously though, it's great they are doing this. Public health is more important.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but at leas they giving people plenty of heads up. I was listening to a podcast where they got invited to an event and they canceled the event and didn't tell them until it was too late to cancel the plane tickets. they had upto 48 hours to cancel, they found out at hour 40.
100%, especially since smaller studios, freelancers, and fans are given enough time to request their refunds. E3 did good with this decision. I wonder if there is a virtual opportunity for E3 this year though.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I feel like this should be a bigger story than it is. The fact that it didn't crash Era shows how far E3 has fallen already.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Nintendo was really ahead of the curve with their directs. I feel bad for the potential loss of revenue for the people that would have worked the event.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Here's hoping that it's officially cancelled. If they really decide to stand their ground on this and keep it going this year, I cannot for the life of me see very many studios still sticking to their plans to attend.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this should be a bigger story than it is. The fact that it didn't crash Era shows how far E3 has fallen already.
Sony dropping out last year really showed how important their presence was. Even in their meh 2017 and awkward but crazy 2018, they always really made e3 feel premium.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK that. A mere video would never replace live audiences reacting in a theater. I'm really going to miss E3, it was like my Christmas.

Yeah nothing can beat the live event. There's something that always feels a bit artificial about prerecorded streaming events. When it's live you know that anything can happen, and the people on stage are experiencing what you're seeing at the same time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
100%, especially since smaller studios, freelancers, and fans are given enough time to request their refunds. E3 did good with this decision. I wonder if there is a virtual opportunity for E3 this year though.
A streaming platform should work on that, it could be a big get

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. I hate 2020 already.
Yeah nothing can beat the live event. There's something that always feels a bit artificial about prerecorded streaming events. When it's live you know that anything can happen, and the people on stage are experiencing what you're seeing at the same time.

Silly, everyone knows no one genuniely goes to them and enjoys the live shows! Everyone who claims to have enjoyed the live events are clearly corporate shills who are fake clappers!

The fact that people here are celebrating this disgusts me. Apparently our enjoyment is lesser to theirs and that's apparently a problem.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that is countered out when you have blatant paid people sitting in the main rows and not all genuine excitement.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. I hate 2020 already.

Silly, everyone knows no one genuniely goes to them and enjoys the live shows! Everyone who claims to have enjoyed the live events are clearly corporate shills who are fake clappers!

The fact that people here are celebrating this disgusts me. Apparently our enjoyment is lesser to theirs and that's apparently a problem.
For the last few microsoft shows, the seemed like a lot of ingenuine clapping, like people clapping at phil saying prett standard stuff about things.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
For the last few microsoft shows, the seemed like a lot of ingenuine clapping, like people clapping at phil saying prett standard stuff about things.

Guess that means we tear the entire thing down!
People are using the fake clappers as a reason why the entire event should be eliminated and it's ridiculous.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if this is really the "end of E3" or at least the end for this format of it I gotta ask (maybe someone wants to make a thread about this)...

What year was your favorite or most memorable E3?

Tbh for me it was E3 2006. PS3 launch info, Wii launch info including Mario Galaxy, a lot of memorable moments. It was also the year where I started working so it sticks out to me. That was THE E3 for me.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony would be smart to start putting together a huge stream with multiple devs now that they won't have e3 to announce.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Damn shame, but understandable.
It'll be interesting to see what the various companies do, I imagine the big 3 will do big livestreams in June, who knows about other publishers though. Hopefully they release plenty of gameplay demo videos.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if this is really the "end of E3" or at least the end for this format of it I gotta ask (maybe someone wants to make a thread about this)...

What year was your favorite or most memorable E3?

Tbh for me it was E3 2006. PS3 launch info, Wii launch info including Mario Galaxy, a lot of memorable moments. It was also the year where I started working so it sticks out to me. That was THE E3 for me.
Being purely subjective, nintendo 2017 because prime 4 and samus returns announced back to back.

Sony 2016 was amazing though, non stop bombs.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So I totally understand why they have to do this, and it's likely for the best.

But goddamn it, this hurts. E3 is like a holiday for me, with personal traditions and everything. Fuck.

Oh shit, SGDQ is probably gonna be cancelled too, isn't it? FUCK.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Wait is E3 just not showing up this year because of Corona or is there no more E3 Expo anymore??

Status
Not open for further replies.