• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This throws a big wrench in the next gen console announcement timeline. Are both Sony and Microsoft really going to play price-reveal-chicken until November?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm torn up over this. E3 has been a useless part of the industry for a few years now.
How can you arrive at this when there's no other event in the industry where so much is unveiled? The frequency of news and announcements is unmatched.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Actually super interested now to see what various companies and developers come up with to deliver what they were going to, could lead to some creative and interesting ideas!

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Since the MS theatre is already booked and I am sure MS has already paid for the stage and plans are most likely pretty far along, I wonder if they will still have the show at the MS Theatre but without fans in the crowd. It would be just like any other E3 minus the crowd and they would stream it like they have been. The amount of money already invested into the production of the show is probably a ton and they could just move forward and do what they planned.

But on the flip side, it must take a ton of people to still do such a large production and with the health concerns, I wonder if MS will just do something completely different?

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It sounds dumb, but I always wanted to go to E3 since I was little. I know it's seen as a cringe thing, and it is gloriously cringe at the best of times- and the whole format is kind of pointless in this day and age. But I guess it was just a nice thing to look forward to? Not necessarily the show itself, but the yearly focal point of gaming news that surrounded it. I kind of hope all the announcements and stuff will still happen around that time of year, just in an online format? I don't really know what else I'll get excited for if it all goes.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Are people thinking E3 cancelled means forever? It's just this year. If it does get cancelled forever afterwards, that's another story.
It's weird. I lurked on gaf and I thought E3 was loved but seems the majority hate it now and ignore the health scare going on and just think it's being canceled because some weren't going to be a part of it? Like people are seriously asking if it's not happening this year due to the Corona virus or other reasons.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. I lurked on gaf and I thought E3 was loved but seems the majority hate it now and ignore the health scare going on and just think it's being canceled because some weren't going to be a part of it? Like people are seriously asking if it's not happening this year due to the Corona virus or other reasons.
It's not about hating E3, the show has just evolved to something many are don't see as necessary anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamescom is at the end of august, there's almost two months between it and E3. A bit too early yet to call for its cancellation. Anything could happen in between.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I was not expecting it to be flat out cancelled. To be honest, I wonder if it will even back next year considering how many of the major publishers have already left.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no influencers? No awkward people on stage or on interviews?

My summer is ruined.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
E3 sucked last year and I was already mourning the loss of several major publishers from the show. But man, it still bums me out. Fond memories of live-streaming E3 and having more fun than I do playing most games, honestly. Leaning into hype here and there is a fun guilty pleasure, I'll miss it this year.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you arrive at this when there's no other event in the industry where so much is unveiled? The frequency of news and announcements is unmatched.

We don't need E3 for things to be announced. In fact it probably behooves companies to spread out their announcements over the year rather than be lost in a sea of news over a few days.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
This could very well be the day E3 actually dies. Publishers will move to an online format, and if it's a success while they can save the costs from E3 the show is basically dead and buried.

Honestly, good. E3 and CES were both perfect products for their time. It was the event to get all the gaming industry news. Hell I remember and even still have a few of the colossal 400 plus page EGM issues from the event! I knew beyond a doubt E3's days were numbered when Nintendo started doing their Digital Event instead of live pressers. They saw the writing on that wall too, they were smart to switch to it when they did. With the internet and being able to instantly get your news out there its just not needed anymore. It's far cheaper and you can edit as much as you need before uploading. This way avoids technical difficulty embarrassments. It just needs to be really done at this point. The few publishers left to switch to the direct video format will do so shortly and not look back.

The specific cancellation of this year's event is wise, I'm not fear mongering but I really don't see that virus slowing down. Look at Seattle, almost completely shut down and schools closed. More events by the day being cancelled. It's just common sense to take this safety precaution.

As for Sony and Microsoft, guys, please just announce now you're aiming for next Spring instead. I'm also expecting some physical release delays of games too at this point.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I hope some avenues are established for smaller studios and indie devs to be able to network with larger ones.

Screw the public events, that's far more important. :(

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This throws a big wrench in the next gen console announcement timeline. Are both Sony and Microsoft really going to play price-reveal-chicken until November?
And then right into 2021.

A delay would make sense anyways, production has to be way way behind at this point due to Covid-19. Not like anything big would have been available at launch this year. Hold off until March, launch like the Switch did, have games ready to go.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Imagine Sony not sharing anything on ps5 until November and do a Playstation Treehouse and then be like "y'all the PS5 is in stores right now!!"

F you Sony. There wont be a public reveal now since of the ongoing coronavirus issue. A pre recorded thing will be lame as hell.

Edit: they should have done an early Feb reveal. That is all.

Please get some perspective in life.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Can you get a refund for cancelling a plane ticket in advance? I hope this doesn't put people out of pocket too much. Health is more important tho.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds dumb, but I always wanted to go to E3 since I was little. I know it's seen as a cringe thing, and it is gloriously cringe at the best of times- and the whole format is kind of pointless in this day and age. But I guess it was just a nice thing to look forward to? Not necessarily the show itself, but the yearly focal point of gaming news that surrounded it. I kind of hope all the announcements and stuff will still happen around that time of year, just in an online format? I don't really know what else I'll get excited for if it all goes.

Agreed. There is really nothing quite like a public gathering of people all there for the same reason, whether it's a concert or sports game or video game trade show. I've never been to E3 but the crowds really added to the atmosphere of the conferences and footage. You just can't replicate that with a live stream.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bold prediction: Microsoft will go ahead with their press conference in person with crowd in the Microsoft Theater as scheduled, and the ESA is going to wind up looking kinda foolish pulling the plug this early.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Don't worry companies will still announce products to be purchased without an event, e3 has just been a good tool to announce a lot of stuff at once which can still happen even in a similar timeframe.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Why do so many people think publishers are going to magically realize some obvious truth that they don't need game conferences?

They are far more experienced with these things than arm chair internet analysts. There have been more and more game conferences over the years not less.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So...when to expect the PS5 announcement?

They could announce and show everything at any point. There's no real announcement target now. I'm sure they were aiming to have something out around E3 to muddle Microsoft's announcements. But now, there's no reason for anybody to wait on any announcements. Publishers and manufacturers can announce when they're ready.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprising, the show was dying and the virus situation was the final nail in the coffin.
I already predicted that publishers would rather do digital events.

Status
Not open for further replies.