• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doctor-aphra-cover-marvel.jpg

Star Wars Unity says that Doctor Aphra of Marvel's Star Wars comics might be getting a series on Disney+, or appearing in someone else's series as part of an ensemble:

CEO Bob Iger confirmed at their last earnings call that they have more Star Wars series in various forms of development beyond those three we know of. One of those might be very popular with comic fans.

I've learned that one of those mystery shows might involve Doctor Aphra. If you're unfamiliar with her, she's an insanely-popular character created for the new era of canon Marvel Star Wars comics. It's not known if it'd be her on solo series, or if she'd be featured in a different series with other characters.

UPDATE 12/12: Multiple other sources are now chiming in on this, including Jason Ward:

"A new Star Wars show is starting about now that nobody even knows about," prominent leaker and Making Star Wars editor Jason Ward tells Inverse.

Inverse
interviewed Ward in November about his work as a renowned Star Wars leaker for an upcoming feature — he previously broke the story that Yoda's species would play a role in The Mandalorian. Ward originally reported this reveal would come later in the season, and his website was one of few outlets ahead of the curve on this surprising twist. (Lucasfilm even avoided making Baby Yoda toys lest the secret get out.)

Now, according to Ward's sources, Star Wars already has a future on Disney+ beyond what's been officially announced. In fact, he says that a new, live-action Star Wars show might be happening right now and that series is Doctor Aphra.

"I'm hearing it's a Lucasfilm-Marvel venture with both companies teaming up to bring a Star Wars show to the small screen," Ward says.

This rumor isn't a particularly difficult one to believe. Aphra is by far the most popular character introduced in the new Disney-era canon outside of the movies and TV shows, she is the only original character to headline an ongoing comic series, the only non-movie or TV character from the new canon to get an action figure after winning a Hasbro fan vote, and is considered a unique and interesting protagonist very different from the heroes seen in other Star Wars media.

Essentially a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones, Aphra is a mercenary archaeologist who digs up ancient relics and sells them for money. Shortly after the events of A New Hope, she was forcibly conscripted into Darth Vader's service to help him track down Luke Skywalker and secretly formulate a plan to overthrow the Emperor. She eventually faked her death and fled Vader to go on her own adventures alongside her psychotic droid companions, Triple-Zero and Bee-Tee, and in the process began to develop a conscience and reconsider her loyalties and way of life. Aphra is a cocky and sarcastic character who uses humor and deflection to hide her feelings of self-hatred and abandonment and is the perfect three-dimensional protagonist for a TV series. Not only is she cool and badass, but would also bring some major representation to Star Wars as the first character played by an Asian actress and first openly gay character to star in a series. Such a series would hopefully be something adventurous, like an Indiana Jones movie in space with a more morally grey hero at the center.

I know there has been a lot of speculation about live-action Aphra casting over the years. If a gun were put to my head right now I'd probably pick Lyrica Okano from Runaways which, funnily enough, just got cancelled...

latest
latest

I know Chloe Bennet from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is also a popular choice.

Anyway, I know it's just a rumor, but I have never wanted a rumor to be true more than this one.

I previously wrote two threads on Aphra and the Marvel Star Wars comics for further information:

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just recently discovered Aphra (thanks to another poster recommending the Vader books and them being included in Prime Reading and in the Hoopla app) and OP isn't over hyping the character. Her and her droids have quite a bit of character. She is very much "grey" in her morality.

That said, I really hope they get an Asian actress to play her because I'm through her run on Vader (haven't started her own book yet) and the only way I knew the character was Asian was because the creator talked about it. In the stories themselves, there is no hint of that whatsoever.

They do make it pretty clear that she likes girls.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
She's also one of the playable characters in the Star Wars: Outer Rim board game alongside Han Solo, Boba Fett and other iconic characters. It led me to think more was going to be made of her character, so this isn't a total surprise.

Nonetheless, her on-going comic was fantastic. I'm down for this!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It probably wouldn't hurt that it seems really easy to insert [Heavy Breathing] into this whenever they want.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably wouldn't hurt that it seems really easy to insert [Heavy Breathing] into this whenever they want.

Depends on when it's set, since there's only so many times they can have her avoid death-by-Vader before it becomes silly. She's already outsmarted him once and will presumably do so in next month's issue as well.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I need to pick up her comic before her new run starts. All I've read was her stuff in the first Vader run and the Star Wars crossover Screaming Citadel.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
First I've heard of this character. What's the comic to start with to get into her story?

Read the following for the first major arc:

Darth Vader 01

Darth Vader 02

Vader Down

If you like that, there's more to follow in the Vader and Star Wars books, before another crossover and her own series.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this character before, but the summary sounds awesome. I should really check out the star wars comics sometime.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(DISCLAIMER: I am aware the person who wrote this article is a controversial figure on ResetERA. But he is generally credible and is acquainted with Jason Ward, the most reliable Star Wars insider. I believe this is a worthy topic of discussion and would prefer if we could avoid off-site drama)

doctor-aphra-cover-marvel.jpg

Star Wars Unity says that Doctor Aphra of Marvel's Star Wars comics might be getting a series on Disney+, or appearing in someone else's series as part of an ensemble:

This rumor isn't a particularly difficult one to believe. Aphra is by far the most popular character introduced in the new Disney-era canon outside of the movies and TV shows, she is the only original character to headline an ongoing comic series, the only non-movie or TV character from the new canon to get an action figure after winning a Hasbro fan vote, and is considered a unique and interesting protagonist very different from the heroes seen in other Star Wars media.

Essentially a cross between Han Solo and Indiana Jones, Aphra is a mercenary archaeologist who digs up ancient relics and sells them for money. Shortly after the events of A New Hope, she was forcibly conscripted into Darth Vader's service to help him track down Luke Skywalker and secretly formulate a plan to overthrow the Emperor. She eventually faked her death and fled Vader to go on her own adventures alongside her psychotic droid companions, Triple-Zero and Bee-Tee, and in the process began to develop a conscience and reconsider her loyalties and way of life. Aphra is a cocky and sarcastic character who uses humor and deflection to hide her feelings of self-hatred and abandonment and is the perfect three-dimensional protagonist for a TV series. Not only is she cool and badass, but would also bring some major representation to Star Wars as the first character played by an Asian actress and first openly gay character to star in a series. Such a series would hopefully be something adventurous, like an Indiana Jones movie in space with a more morally grey hero at the center.

I know there has been a lot of speculation about live-action Aphra casting over the years. If a gun were put to my head right now I'd probably pick Lyrica Okano from Runaways which, funnily enough, just got cancelled...

latest
latest

I know Chloe Bennet from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is also a popular choice.

Anyway, I know it's just a rumor, but I have never wanted a rumor to be true more than this one.

I previously wrote two threads on Aphra and the Marvel Star Wars comics for further information:

Chloe just was the lead voice in a hit. I wonder what her career trajectory is...

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Fuck, I love her comics because they're Indiana Jones-y Star Wars action, but they also get WEIRD as hell. Take for instance the force-sensitive fungus.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This would be cool. I've enjoyed the Doctor Aphra stuff I've read. She's kinda like an evil Indiana Jones in the Star Wars universe, lol.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
BDS I wouldn't call him credible in any way at all. Credible in "got one thing correct once but quickly try and delete and backtrack my mistakes instead of admitting to them" then sure.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I didn't really expect this but now that it's been said, I can totally buy it.

Definitely hope it's real.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Aphra and would love a show with her. Hope they have plenty of Story ideas not in the comic though, because there it kind of repeats itself alot in the last few that i read.
I hear that she will get a new writer in the next near, which is hopefully a good thing.

Really hope this happens, Lesbian Indy Jones in the Star Wars universe, is definitely some of the coolest premise you can have.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not knowing anything about Aphra, does she exist during the Mandalorian time period?

Her comics take place during the three-year gap between ANH and ESB so unless she dies at some point she'd still be around in the Mandalorian time period, albeit six years older.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
As neat as it would be, Disney isn't going to make a Star Wars (or Marvel) film/series focusing on an openly LGBTQIA+ person. I could see them maybe including her as part of an ensemble cast, and doing everything they can to minimize her sexuality, but that's it.

Very cool! Then I hope this show comes out. They need to start building an Arrowverse of Star Wars shows.

nooo Star Wars needs more self contained stories that make the universe feel bigger, not smaller.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As neat as it would be, Disney isn't going to make a Star Wars (or Marvel) film/series focusing on an openly LGBTQIA+ person. I could see them maybe including her as part of an ensemble cast, and doing everything they can to minimize her sexuality, but that's it.

Well it's a lot more likely as a Disney+ show (which won't air in China and doesn't necessarily need to actually feature her sexuality in any notable way) than it is as a movie, which would be banned in many international territories.