• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who has paid more than 5 minutes in the news knows of what's happening in Hong Kong. The awareness is already there.

The next step is to make actionable and achievable calls to action that will lead a specific group of people to do something they haven't done before. Smugly saying fuck blizzard or fuck the Chinese government isn't enough.
Fuck Blizzard and the Chinese government. I will keep saying it and I don't care about your feelings on it. People are dying and getting their organs sold and Blizzard is supporting that. No matter how much anybody try to hide it or try to forget about it so that their games will be "acceptable" again, I will still keep on saying it.

Aug 10, 2019
Diablo 2 truly was a masterpiece of its time..

Unfortunately, Blizzard hasn't produced something of that quality since The Burning Crusade.

I'm curious to see if their fans will forgive their recent faux pas's in exchange for the bait they chum the waters of BlizzCon with, or if the damage they did is too large to wash over with a few fan requested games.

Either way, I'm willing to bet the PR they pollute us with for the next few years is going to be so submissive and apologetic that even if gamers aren't angry with them anymore, they'll quit paying attention.

If Blizzard used to be a broadsword, this might have dulled them into a butter knife.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, nice, one year later and a few bad decisions as company will keep me from buy both ... what a shame :(

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, the only two games from Bliz I give a shit about. Oh well, plenty else to play.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they will change the camera prospective for Diablo 4. Like a 3rd person prospective instead of isometric. It's highly unlikely but I would like to see them change it.

Edward

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they will change the camera prospective for Diablo 4. Like a 3rd person prospective instead of isometric. It's highly unlikely but I would like to see them change it.
If you though the ruckus was loud about immortal imagine them releasing a non-isometric view mainline diablo game.

The only way a third person diablo game would work is if they did a MMO or a destiny style GAAS game.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Please be a proper remake for D2 not just an enhancement patch.

Nah.

I don't trust Blizzard remaking D2 without ruining the artstyle and adding their cartoon WoW shit to it.

Diablo 2 is perfect as it is. All they need to do is a update the UI, make it work for widescreen resolutions and use some higher quality assets and we're gucci.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm curious to see if their fans will forgive their recent faux pas's in exchange for the bait they chum the waters of BlizzCon with, or if the damage they did is too large to wash over with a few fan requested games.

I'm confident that 95% of Diablo fans would have no idea of the recent issues and by the time something like Diablo 4 launches, I doubt most of those who DO know will care by then either. It will sell gangbusters.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
D3 was the last Blizzard game i purchased and it's going to stay that way. Especially after the China fiasco.

I mean, they only have released one game that you could purchase after Diablo III, so that's not saying much lol.

That Starcraft Battlefield-esque FPS sounded awesome. Why does all the cool Starcraft spinoff shit get cancelled!

I'll be interested to see if they figured out a way to have Diablo II run in widescreen without breaking the game.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
The question to ask regarding a d2 remaster is if its just to appease gamers after that mobile shit and this china fiasco, and if it is; will it be invested in heavily or just a straight up lousy port.

Also, regarding d4 - I have little faith in it being something I would like unless they forgo the comic design and art. Even than, it would need tobe more than just the same old diablo to keep my interest...

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I really wonder how much they will "borrow" from Path of Exile for Diablo 4. One of my favorite leagues is Delve so if they got that, I would play no questions asked. Similar with a few different leagues. Or if they are still capable to create their own interesting gameplay ideas.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how much they will "borrow" from Path of Exile for Diablo 4. One of my favorite leagues is Delve so if they got that, I would play no questions asked. Similar with a few different leagues. Or if they are still capable to create their own interesting gameplay ideas.
You'll get your cheevos and you'll like them!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I bet they will use Diablo 3's engine for D2 Remastered, they can reuse a ton of assets. Diablo 2 with entirely new assets would be difficult.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
User Banned (2 days): Antagonizing other users
I'm in on both. Also still waiting for the mobile version.
Damn it. I'm in for Diablo 4. It's the one game all my friends will buy and play. Damn it damn it damn it.
Ok...I know they're trash but I'm finna buy D2 even though I've played it to death over the past 16 years.

hope d4 isn't a shitshow. Hated most of the classes and the art of 3.
Oh god that would be amazing. Can't wait for BlizzCon now.
can't wait for diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 <3
Looking forward to these!
Im hyped for Blizzcon, I can't wait.

Filth

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, folks complaining about D3 being too cartoony or not dark enough or whatever are showing their ass. Sounds to me like they didn't play the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well a good Diablo 4 and a really good remaster of Diablo 2 is one way to get people to forgive and forget.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, folks complaining about D3 being too cartoony or not dark enough or whatever are showing their ass. Sounds to me like they didn't play the game.
I mean, presentation isn't just about the visual design. The writing, worldbuilding, voice over direction, cinematic direction etc. matter too.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Whether D3 fits your personal definition of cartoony or not, the game still has hideous art direction compared to the previous games. game was ugly, and Blizzard has even acknowledged that the next game needs more gothic stylized art.

lets not get into the antagonists in D3 cackling away and mustache twirling like Saturday morning cartoon villains

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Im pretty excited for d4, im maybe interested as long as it doesnt go overgreedy from beginning. I also want to see it have multiplayer

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo III - Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition was the first game I bought with my new PS4 in August 2014 and I enjoyed it immensely. I also used to play HearthStone almost daily, despite having never spent money on it. Up until the China events news broke out. Have not and will not touch it again. And will not buy anything else from Blizzard. They've made their choice, I have now made mine.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Why does anyone have a personal stake in Blizzard recovering from this? We literally have more games coming out than the market can physically support. Go support someone who hasn't fucked up. Or just be an amoral blob I guess.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Whether D3 fits your personal definition of cartoony or not, the game still has hideous art direction compared to the previous games. game was ugly, and Blizzard has even acknowledged that the next game needs more gothic stylized art.

lets not get into the antagonists in D3 cackling away and mustache twirling like Saturday morning cartoon villains

zoltun kulle's cartoon evil laughter at the end of each of his dialogue was fucking A+ unintentional comedy. Diablo 3's writing is so ass.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why lol. Even if you have a game to announce this is not the time. Slink off into the shadows for another year would have been a better bet.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It was quite cartoony though, most likely because it was designed as console game first & foremost, they needed bright neon like colors to make it more visible when playing it on a TV.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It was quite cartoony though, most likely because it was designed as console game first & foremost

er... you sure about that?

anyway i waffled back and forth over the aesthetic. at first i thought the outcry was kneejerk but then playing it i was like, oof this really isn't such a hot fit after all. i can't imagine Blizzard ever making something grimdark as D2 ever again but see where it goes. hopeful that RoS kinda veered back in that direction

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what sort of remaster treatment D2 will get. Most likely it will be in line with StarCraft remaster, full on 3D remaster doesn't seem likely, although I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
When you're mad at someone you love and they bring you your favorite thing.

Can we have both on next-gen consoles with online cross-platform play?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

anyway i waffled back and forth over the aesthetic. at first i thought the outcry was kneejerk but then playing it i was like, oof this really isn't such a hot fit after all. i can't imagine Blizzard ever making something grimdark as D2 ever again but see where it goes. hopeful that RoS kinda veered back in that direction

They had bloody torture chambers with horrible torture devices, corpses ripped apart in pieces, horrible and grotesque animated abominations, soul shredding horrors, and other awful and horribly looking and sounding creatures and environments, yet the game is being called too cartoony.

🤷

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
They had bloody torture chambers with horrible torture devices, corpses ripped apart in pieces, horrible and grotesque animated abominations, soul shredding horrors, and other awful and horribly looking and sounding creatures and environments, yet the game is being called too cartoony.

🤷

well i personally wouldn't call it cartoony, just the overall design aesthetic was too WoW-y for a Diablo game imo. in a bubble i wouldn't really care but going back to D2 it's like night and day

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So BlizzCon could potentially have some decent announcements this year. Unfortunately (for Blizzard), those decent announcements will be undone by the fact that the company's name is trash right now.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking forward to the diablo 2 remake, it is still my second favorite game of all time! After how diablo 3 launched I am less optimistic about diablo 4 but I am ready to be surprised!

Nah

This is a gaming forum talking about computer games and Blizzard are one of the best. If I wanted to get into the politics of recent events I'd discuss that elsewhere. This is a thread about Diablo so please do fuck off, thank you.

We probably need the same kind of mod post as is in every THQ nordic thread: you are allowed to discuss blizzard doing shitty things politically, you are allowed to still be excited/buy their games, you are not allowed to insult other members.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Not positive, but the darker color grading of D1/2 would have been difficult on a TV from a distance, it's similar to how Doom 3 BFG made the game brighter.
The colors are why people called it cartoony, the actual assets are not.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

🤷
To be honest, Light Radius would have made dungeons feel like actual dungeons. Such a simple thing to implement too. When you can see everything clearly in the depths of Hell it kind of diminishes it.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Diablo 3 art an obligatory:

KMwNpOh.jpg