• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess my thread was too much of a reaction thread and got locked (sorry for the trouble mods), so I'll throw my take in here

So with the potential revival rumors floating around I thought about how the best evolution for Dead Space might be to go deep underwater. In Dead Space 3 they already tried to mix things up with the snow storms, probably trying to evoke feelings similar to the Thing but as we all know that didn't exactly work out. I think compared to space, a snow storm also just isn't scary enough.

What makes water in comparison such a perfect substitute is that deep sea exploration has so many similar elements to deep space. Both space and the deep sea are inherently deadly environments for humans, everyone needs to wear heavy gear when outside, one crack in your helmet is enough to kill you, movement is inhibited and slow, but at the time you're not bound by gravity. When going inside you have to pass an airlock and you're confined to small bases or ships with the threat of death constantly looming outside. A deep sea breach is not unlike a vacuum breach, though even deadlier and quicker. One aspect that makes the deep sea even scarier is the constant darkness, no starlight or sun to illuminate surfaces just pure darkness and human made beacons. There's also a more real, primal fear that makes us scared of what might lurk at the bottom of a deep dark trench

The recent movie "Underwater" basically already delivered a perfect example of what I could imagine an underwater Dead Space to look like.

85NsDmB.jpg

There's of course also Soma which already made fantastic use of the setting. Particulary the descent into the real deep sea

5YdLbDN.jpg

And of course none of this would mean that there's no space sci-fi, the game could be split into parts, one more classic, above planet and another where the player is forced to deep into an ocean.

I think if the EA feel the need that a new entry needs to bring something extra new to the table this would be the way to go.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Have to set it after 3. I want post apocalyptic dead space. Survivors eeking out a pathetic existence in the cold black between stars, never sure if they are the last wretched remnants of humanity.

If there are any human enemies, just forget it. No thanks.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I hope EA actually invests some talent into this, but for now, anyone excited in this thread should really direct their energy towards the Callisto Protocol. It's the true spiritual successor by the original creator who now has his own new AAA game studio.

www.callistothegame.com

The Callisto Protocol

A New Story-Driven, Single-Player Survival Horror Game from the mind of Glen Schofield. Coming 2022 to PC and Consoles.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I guess my thread was too much of a reaction thread and got locked (sorry for the trouble mods), so I'll throw my take in here

So with the potential revival rumors floating around I thought about how the best evolution for Dead Space might be to go deep underwater. In Dead Space 3 they already tried to mix things up with the snow storms, probably trying to evoke feelings similar to the Thing but as we all know that didn't exactly work out. I think compared to space, a snow storm also just isn't scary enough.

What makes water in comparison such a perfect substitute is that deep sea exploration has so many similar elements to deep space. Both space and the deep sea are inherently deadly environments for humans, everyone needs to wear heavy gear when outside, one crack in your helmet is enough to kill you, movement is inhibited and slow, but at the time you're not bound by gravity. When going inside you have to pass an airlock and you're confined to small bases or ships with the threat of death constantly looming outside. A deep sea breach is not unlike a vacuum breach, though even deadlier and quicker. One aspect that makes the deep sea even scarier is the constant darkness, no starlight or sun to illuminate surfaces just pure darkness and human made beacons. There's also a more real, primal fear that makes us scared of what might lurk at the bottom of a deep dark trench

The recent movie "Underwater" basically already delivered a perfect example of what I could imagine an underwater Dead Space to look like.

85NsDmB.jpg

There's of course also Soma which already made fantastic use of the setting. Particulary the descent into the real deep sea

5YdLbDN.jpg

And of course none of this would mean that there's no space sci-fi, the game could be split into parts, one more classic, above planet and another where the player is forced to deep into an ocean.

I think if the EA feel the need that a new entry needs to bring something extra new to the table this would be the way to go.
Yeah I'd love this. The ocean is terrifying, and it would give a potential new game a distinct identity from the originals. Hope we get something like this!

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wary of a Dead Space 4 without Visceral, but if we can get a remastered collection out of it, too, it would be a net positive imo.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I've learned about studio closures is that there's always more to their stories that is never shared. Understandably, people still need their jobs in the games industry after a closure. Unfortunately, it's been known that Visceral had serious issues they couldn't solve.

Hope Motive is better in that regard.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018

85NsDmB.jpg

5YdLbDN.jpg

What if you could do both space and underwater? I'm thinking a space elevator. You start underwater and then progress to a space station connected to the underwater facility/city and with next gen consoles you can actually show as you, the player rides up to space. Could be an interesting set piece.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool news but it really depends who is making it and what their goals are at the direction of EA.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
day 1!

new game or remake/remaster I don't care. I want to take my plasma cutter and Cut Necromorphs again!

The first two games in this series are probably my most missed titles from the PS3/360 gen (since I don't have an XBOX or PC)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what Motive can cook up with this, it's a big name for the horror genre and should get the ultimate respect and budget that it deserves

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What if you could do both space and underwater? I'm thinking a space elevator. You start underwater and then progress to a space station connected to the underwater facility/city and with next gen consoles you can actually show as you, the player rides up to space. Could be an interesting set piece.
Yeah I'd love this. I think there are some really cool ideas one could come up with when mixing space sc-fi and underwater exploration

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'll say it again.

Fuck EA for killing Visceral if they were just gonna revive Dead Space

Any studio being killed is terrible, but you have to remember that EA is a business. At the time Visceral was not making money for them and they had no interest in doing another Dead Space. But any beloved series has a chance of being revisited when it makes sense or just becomes possible for the publisher.

We can think it was a mistake and Dead Space should have been revived/continued much sooner, but the fact that we are getting it back at all is enough to be happy and show the series some support when the next release hits.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I'm so onboard. Sequel would be best. But I'd still be overjoyed for a remastered trilogy. I wouldn't be as fond of abandoning the current continuity for a reboot, not that I'd necessarily complain either.

Oct 25, 2017
Any studio being killed is terrible, but you have to remember that EA is a business. At the time Visceral was not making money for them and they had no interest in doing another Dead Space. But any beloved series has a chance of being revisited when it makes sense or just becomes possible for the publisher.

We can think it was a mistake and Dead Space should have been revived/continued much sooner, but the fact that we are getting it back at all is enough to be happy and show the series some support when the next release hits.

EA actively mismanaged and utilized Visceral poorly after DS2.

While Ragtag had development issues, the absolutely asinine priorities EA had of "how do we monetize this single player game like FIFA" makes you ask "why are you even making this game in the first place?"

Also, this kinda feels like a middle finger to Glenn Schofield and his team working on Callisto Protocol, which was basically a spiritual successor to Dead Space.

I really like Dead Space, but what happened with Visceral just makes this news rub me the wrong way.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017

85NsDmB.jpg

5YdLbDN.jpg

Doesn't need to be Dead Space per se, but the ocean floor could be an incredible survival horror setting, to the point where it's kind of astonishing it hasn't been done already. Good call.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
A Dead Space 1 remake with modern technology in 4k HDR would be amazing… or a reboot on the Ishimura. Either way, bring it back!

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know, I feel like EA is bringing back the franchise because of "The Callisto Protocol"?

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
3 Gets a lot of shit that it completely deserves, but 3 also gets a lot of things right that it doesn't get credit for. There's a lot of good atmosphere in that game and the ending is absolutely perfect.

I agree, coop was unintrusive and your partner dissapears so you're on your own in single player(unlike action RE games like 5 or 6).
No need to spend a cent in microtransactions to beat the game and weapon crafting was op to begin with.
There're like 4 fights against humans and they aren't long either, this was a little overblown in terms of reception imho.
The villain, the love story triangle and some story bits weren't interesting and the lack dementia in the main game was lame.
But overall, i think it's a great game considering that Visceral had to deal with EA changing their original plans.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A Dead Space VR game is the actual proper way to do the franchise justice.
You're goddamn right..
www.resetera.com

Man Dead Space VR would be amazing

Was watching gameplay footage of RE4 VR: I was thinking about what other games would do really well with a full VR conversion and Dead Space came to mind. The gameplay loop where you -precisely aim for the limbs to kill enemies instead of -have the stasis system -have the item grabbing system...

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA actively mismanaged and utilized Visceral poorly after DS2.

While Ragtag had development issues, the absolutely asinine priorities EA had of "how do we monetize this single player game like FIFA" makes you ask "why are you even making this game in the first place?"

Also, this kinda feels like a middle finger to Glenn Schofield and his team working on Callisto Protocol, which was basically a spiritual successor to Dead Space.

I really like Dead Space, but what happened with Visceral just makes this news rub me the wrong way.
Again, there's always more to closures than what we know on the surface. There are some reports out there, if you want to look for them, that say that it wasn't entirely EA's fault that they closed down. Not that they aren't at fault either. From the outside, we can see that even though they had their failures, studios like BioWare in Edmonton are even healthier than before with their new and bigger office.

Trust me, I'd love to see Visceral doing great out there and it always sucks to see a studio closing. Unfortunately, it just couldn't happen.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Have there been any rumors of the existing trilogy being remastered for current systems? I never got around to playing any of the Dead Space games, but I'd certainly jump in now with some remasters.

Dec 31, 2017
Dead Space 1 and 2 were some.of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Single handedly got me into survival horror and Resident Evil after meaning nothing to me for decades.

I didn't touch 3. The change in tone, forced coop and trying to go in your pockets turned me off.

I'll give this a look, but Callisto Protocol gets the first shake. This project has a high bar to impress me.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be a reboot. Just keep the iconic suit and make it a desolate oppressive experience.
Question is ... who the hell will develop it?

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
is dead space 3 really that bad?

I don't think it's bad, but clearly suffered from being co-op with a super bland backup character, bad writing regarding Ellie from DS2, and having a super broken weapon creation system.

It's a fun game, but the lesser of the trilogy.

One caveat is... a lot of people are angry that it was less of a horror game than 1 and 2, and my feeling is 1 and 2 weren't really horror games. Yeah, there was some gnarly stuff, but you played as STOMP SPACEMAN, THE MONSTER TRUCK WHO WALKS LIKE A MAN... literally until Doom 2016, I think Isaac Clarke was easily the most powerful-feeling protagonists in a sci fi shooter that I have played.