• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
im aware, it I not think GTAV was as held back by prior gen hardware as Cyberpunk appears to be.

GTAV was delayed from March 2013 to September 2013 ... and released 2 months before next gen consoles

Cyberpunk was delayed from April 2020 to September 2020... and will likely release just before next gen consoles.

The parallels are uncanny

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
GTAV was delayed from March 2013 to September 2013 ... and released 2 months before next gen consoles

Cyberpunk was delayed from April 2020 to September 2020... and will likely release just before next gen consoles.

The parallels are uncanny

GTA V was a master piece. That was not only one of the best looking games of the gen, but also almost never dropped a frame, at 720p even. It was a marvel.

I highly doubt that'll be the case with Cyberpunk on X1, but we'll see.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
GTA V was a master piece. That was not only one of the best looking games of the gen, but also almost never dropped a frame, at 720p even. It was a marvel.

I highly doubt that'll be the case with Cyberpunk on X1, but we'll see.

Imagine if it didn't get that delay... would it have been a masterpiece?

I'm not trying to predict what Cyberpunks impact on gaming will be... I'm just countering the argument that a delay is an indication that making it a late-gen game was a mistake.

Many late-gen games end up being the best the generation has to offer. In some instances it takes years before new--gen games can compete.

TheVictim

Dec 3, 2019
This game is the main reason I wanted Stadia. I've been enjoying it, but if it can run this (because I am too cheap to keep upgrading my pc) then I will be so ridiculously happy.

Nov 2, 2017
This kind of reminds me of when Ubisoft went crazy with the population density on Assassin's Creed Unity and the consoles couldn't handle it.

Sounds like CDPR went a bit extra crazy.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's also delayed, because they are implementing third person cutscenes? :) The backlash was pretty massive when it became known you won't ever see your character that you'll put so much work in the character creator and later customization.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following development but I just assumed it wasn't coming to current gen.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
they absolutely could have but a game that big and expensive will sink an independent dev company if it's not a hit. And the sales as a launch title would not be enough. Only a platform holder would risk something like that as a launch title.
Is this about CD Projekt RED Being a small independent company or why are you replying this

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Is this about CD Projekt RED Being a small independent company or why are you replying this

My point was that to get a proper return on investment on Cyberpunk, making it a purely PS5/XSEX game (and due to timing, launch game) would be too big a risk. They would not be able to sell enough copies. Therefore it is imperative that they get it to work on current gen.

I know CDPR is backed by GOG but the game is still a huge financial risk for them.

Sep 28, 2019
Looking forward downgrade comparisons and the following riots.
Whoever roits 2020 and after because of Xbox One Potato Versions will Not habe my Respect anymore...
Also:
MS said they dont want leave anybody behind...
Ok so mega fine - bring the potato Xbox One Versions...
But what after 2 years? How you all think they would communicate that ^from now on Xbox One users get left behind^??

In this case they would happily step on that mine they put on the Floor themselves ...marketing fuckup...
Expect that at least Xbox X (and PC) Titels to be crippled for the whole Next Gen if they actually open Pandoras Box.
Then the Ghost is out of the Bottle .
They fall into their own hole..
Running out of metaphors..

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
The ambition of CD Projekt basically got the better of them if this rumor is true. They already had trouble running The Witcher 3 on the base consoles.

There must have been a time somewhere in the middle of development where they realized their ambition of Cyberpunk is being hold back by these base consoles because these simply do not have the processing power for their dream game to become fully realized. I believe that starting to make compromises because of the huge playerbase is something developers need to step away from.

You either create a game by your ambition and develop it for hardware powerful enough, or you just take a step back and compromise.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
You really think that? When's the last time a launch game took full advantage of the hardware in the first year? Which launch PS4 game was on par with God of War or Spider-Man? Which launch Xbox One game was on Par with Forza Horizon 4 or Gears 5?

I expect much more, eventually, but I don't expect day 1 games to even scratch the surface of what's possible... because I have reasonable expectations. If you think Sony is gonna ship their "star citizen" on day one, before there's even enough of an installed base for it to reach its sales potential... you're gonna be extremely disappointed. What we'll actually at launch get are the next gen equivalent of Killzone/Knack/Ryse/Forza5 level games that look amazing, but aren't revolutionary.

It's not about what I expect, it's how the devs should approach a game for the first time that need not be constrained by 7yr old hardware. Do you expect them to think 'oh we can't utilise 100% of a new console launch year so lets give gamers just more of the same'? First party devs have the backing and funds to aim higher, otherwise really what is the point.

And whether they fail to push the boundaries a little at the start of a gen is immaterial, we should at least want them to try.

Remember Mario 64? We can always hope for more moments like these even if its harder to achieve these days.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The ambition of CD Projekt basically got the better of them if this rumor is true. They already had trouble running The Witcher 3 on the base consoles.

There must have been a time somewhere in the middle of development where they realized their ambition of Cyberpunk is being hold back by these base consoles because these simply do not have the processing power for their dream game to become fully realized. I believe that starting to make compromises because of the huge playerbase is something developers need to step away from.

You either create a game by your ambition and develop it for hardware powerful enough, or you just take a step back and compromise.

It's not quite as simple as that though. The only reason that Cyberpunk is as ambitious as it is is because of the PS4 and Xbox. The huge install base means they can expect high sales and therefore have a much bigger budget to develop the game.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about what I expect, it's how the devs should approach a game for the first time that need not be constrained by 7yr old hardware. Do you expect them to think 'oh we can't utilise 100% of a new console launch year so lets give gamers just more of the same'? First party devs have the backing and funds to aim higher, otherwise really what is the point.

And whether they fail to push the boundaries a little at the start of a gen is immaterial, we should at least want them to try.

Remember Mario 64? We can always hope for more moments like these even if its harder to achieve these days.

I think you are 100% misrepresenting what's going on here.

There are 0 people at microsoft saying "let's just give gamers more of the same."

What's really happening is there are:

1) developers who are making Late-gen games anyway, who will be enhancing them for the XSX launch. mind you, late gen AAA games tend to be some of the best around (Last of Us, GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Breath of the Wild etc). Getting day1, XSX enhanced versions of MS' late-gen 1st party is nothing to scoff at.

And

2) developers who are making Next-gen exclusives that will, based on Booty's comment, be launching at or shortly after launch.

anyone that comes to the conclusion that MS' aim is lower just because their next-gen exclusives might not release day-and-date with the console is jumping to some really irrational conclusions. You have no idea what they already have in development and when they'll actually be ready for launch. Perhaps they are giving their next-gen standout the dev time it deserves to reach it potential. Perhaps they will have exclusives ready at launch after all. Maybe you should wait until they start demoing their catalog before you rush to judge their aims.

You can hope for a Mario 64 moment all you want. But looking at recent history, committing to a day-one nextgen exclusive release isnt a guartunee that you'll get a mario 64 moment. What it usually guarantees is that you'll rush to market with a mediocre product that, aside from visuals, doesn't really stand tall against the crossgen games it's up against.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This makes me think that the game will come out simultaneously as a next-gen launch game. Sept for both consoles?

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that certainly has some interesting implications for Microsoft's current cross-gen strategy

I believe Microsoft knows this is an issue and the cross gen strategy is a complete PR move to not upset anyone at the start of a new gen. Cross platform games have been available in ever gen since ps2 or before I believe.

I would suspect after the first year this ports will be stopped

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
It's not quite as simple as that though. The only reason that Cyberpunk is as ambitious as it is is because of the PS4 and Xbox. The huge install base means they can expect high sales and therefore have a much bigger budget to develop the game.

Yeah, it blows my mind that people don't get this version of Cybeprunk doesn't exist without base console income.
Screaming make it PC only means they'd have no feasible budget to make the game lol

I mean even TW3 on console sales helped make that vision a reality.

This makes me think that the game will come out simultaneously as a next-gen launch game. Sept for both consoles?

How?
We already know officially both systems are due for launch in holiday 2020 which ain't September

I mentioned in an earlier post but we may not get a next-gen version at launch of the systems anyway.
CDPR may do a massive upgrade (rather than just simple framerate/resolution patch) for the new consoles that requires months of work after getting CP 2077 out the door.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think much more work and effort is required to make nextgen versions than just 6 months. Slight enhancement patches for the current gen versions when running on the new hardware if that's even a thing? Sure.

But I don't think we are getting nextgen versions of Cyberpunk that take good advantage of all the strengths of the new hardware anytime soon.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If we are waiting till September though, I'd rather wait 1-2 more months if it meant the PS5 version was a lot better. Gotta get it either way though cause of that CE but dang

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Halo Infinite developers are currently facing the same issues.
Halo Infinite is likely a current gen game first, where Cyberpunk 2070 looked next gen from the start with that city and population after the train. Look at that first video.

It's too much man.
DxNDh9P.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah....no.

It was a tehnical marvel but the framerate was always for the better part under 30.

Seriously, I thought I was supposed to look for Xbox One performance in that video, I didn't know they thought the last gen consoles hardly ever went below 30fps hahah, it basically lived below 30fps. What a horrible experience, and eye strain, especially when driving around the city.

I wonder if the third person being removed was for performance, or they didn't have time to make it work while tackling other performance issues, finding what can be cut or toned down.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wonder if the third person being removed was for performance, or they didn't have time to make it work while tackling other performance issues, finding what can be cut or toned down.

You mean in 77? On foot 3rd person was never a thing to begin with. Maybe in some early prototypes, but once they went to full production? Nah.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You mean in 77? On foot 3rd person was never a thing to begin with. Maybe in some early prototypes, but once they went to full production? Nah.
Cutscenes. Apparently they removed them or something. Why even create character looks if you never get to see them? Though I'm not sure if they said character creation is still in.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I imagine a lot of devs want to move away from developing for the base PS4 and Xbox One.

This.

Cyberpunk 2077 on current consoles is just so they can sell more copies. Not a good way for us to experience the game

I don't think it'll be worth playing on anything less than a mid-range gaming PC, PS5 or Xbox Series X.

This game is still gonna be subpar on PS4 Pro and probably even Xbox One X. Jaguar needs to die.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's also delayed, because they are implementing third person cutscenes? :) The backlash was pretty massive when it became known you won't ever see your character that you'll put so much work in the character creator and later customization.
It's been explained over and over how you'll see your character constantly in this game tho
Like your character is the first thing you see when you open the menu, God of War style

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is Cyberpunk already confirmed to come out on next gen? Both the PS5 and XSX will presumably have full BC, so itd be awkward if they did a rerelease like GTAV did.