• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
This is a weird time for the console mfgs and devs. I know from hearing about various dev cycles for major releases mid-gen that both Sony and MS have ninjas they can send over to aid in optimization and most particularly assistance in getting GPGPU to balance the load between CPU and GPU a little better. This technique helps a bit more on PS4 vs X1/X1S due to the stronger GPU and memory bandwidth, while the ESRAM on X1 is too small to be a complete bandaid for that gap.

Practically speaking, Jaguar whether at 1.6Ghz, 1.75Ghz, 1.83Ghz, 2.1Ghz, or 2.3Ghz is in a similar pile of hurt. And only 6 full cores are even fully available for gaming as well. GPGPU can free up some of the CPU bottleneck at the cost of some GPU resources, but obviously is both incredibly difficult vs ordinary engine functionality (does any standard engine even support GPGPU by default, or has it always been custom so far?).

Ideally any design limitations on the 8th gen console versions can be mostly in presentation only, and not affect the scale of the title. In which case I'd definitely support the game being 'fully unlocked and realized' for PC and PS5/XX variants, while the 8th gen builds do whatever necessary to cram their gameplay design into 8th gen even if it means poor distance rendering, with 1/2 framerate NPCs at distances with some clever motion blur to make it less janky.

Hell in the N64 / PS1 / Saturn era we had quite a lot of titles running in the 20s or less. If that's what it takes not to compromise the vision, so be it.

Fans of the game and genre, and CDPR themselves will be much better off by pressing beyond the design limits of making a game that comfortably runs on PS4/X1, as these things take so long to develop that we may not see the next one for 8-10 years, if ever. So it's better that it's a masterpiece on PC/9th gen + pretty rough on 8th gen vs the potential : scaled back across the board in design to be merely 'good' but lacking ambition and scale, to be a solid/comfortably smooth 8th gen title that just looks prettier on PC/9th gen.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It would be a bad business decision because they would lose out on the 150 million PS4/XB1 player base.
Isn't the whole strategy behind XsX is for scalable games? Sure the definitive version for the Xbox will be on PC and XsX but those with the X1X should have a scalable experience if this is the case. As far as OG Xbox One and PS4, maybe that's where the issue is?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the whole strategy behind XsX is for scalable games? Sure the definitive version for the Xbox will be on PC and XsX but those with the X1X should have a scalable experience if this is the case. As far as OG Xbox One and PS4, maybe that's where the issue is?
For XGS, not for XSX. It's up to thrid parties to make their own decisions.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't buy it. They probably haven't started optimizing anything yet.

Isn't the message of that rumor that the current gen console editions have been delayed because the devs were not able to optimize those in time so far? That directly contradicts "not having started optimizing anything", now doesn't it?

Aug 31, 2018
I pre-ordered the game through the PlayStation store a couple days before the delay, do you think I can get a credit to use on another game? I think I am going to wait until PS5 to grab this one

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
There wont be a downgrade - the gameplay reveal (i think?) already confirmed the game looks nothing like what was shown in cinematic trailers thus far. It's already been downgraded and with good reason, all trailer's released were cinematic trailers, not gameplay trailer as far as i remember. The question now is how downgraded will it be when released.... especially if developing for last gen consoles as well.

What? All we have heard is that E3 2018 and 2019 gameplay didn't show any downgrades.

Yeah, every game runs like crap before it's optimized in the final months of development, but most games aren't running so poorly that its developers feel that process will take 5 more months.

They are leaping over Summer. No one releases during Summer.

I feel like we're going to have another downgradegate because of this.

ERA makes downgradegates out of anything, even puddles and blades of grass. Doesn't mean much.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
As a PC owner, I hope this doesn't mean the final game will be chopped up and reduced in scope at the last minute to fit on systems comparable to really old laptop specs...
I don't think it will be Deus Ex Invisible War bad but it's probably going to be cut back a little.

Given how Control, which uses state of the art visuals, runs on base consoles I'm not surprised, though. On the other hand, seeing what was possible with TW3 on Switch, I think Cyberpunk can look 'good' and run 'acceptable' (read 30fps) on base consoles but it takes more effort and time (as TW3 on Switch) than usual.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
You are right about myself being silly for replacing a video card so early but I want a more mature RT capable card. Is that something wrong?

Oh absolutely not! I'm dead serious! I very nearly pulled the trigger on Titan RTX, but because I waited a while to get an RTX to replace the 1080ti, I ended up choosing a 2080ti (after 'space Invaders' gremlins seemed solved) as I figured I'd be jumping to Ampere before long anyway.

Some games are just worth getting to run the best possible way, and this is especially tough on gen changes. The launch of the x86 console twins in the 8th gen quickly brought massively better multiplats poets than previously seen to PC, but to get the best of them it took a few GPU cycles to get the best results. And the rise of higher resolution/framerate displays means even more power can be brought to bear to get even more awesome experiences to the table.

To get Cyberpunk to be ideal to hit 100+fps on a 4k/144 (or some rumored upcoming '6k' Ultrawide 2160p Gysnc Ultimate monitors), we're probably going to be looking for everything we can get from cards even a gen or two past Ampere. And CPU bottlenecks are already noticable as well. I did everything possible to replace my 8086k with a 3700X rig, but it was just not fast enough, so I ended up on a 9900KS now at 5.2Ghz + DDR4000, which definitely raised performance noticably with the right visual settings. I returned a 4k/144 Asus Gysnc to return to my 1440p 144Hz, which I often run with judiciously chosen settings to keep that framerate as close to the 100+ sweet spot as possible, where the CPU and GPU are both as close to maxed out as possible.

And no, the 9900KS, even at 5.2 with tight ram timings + DDR4 4000 is still not good enough. Perhaps whenever Intel gets their fab issues settled and a proper move beyond 14nm they can offer something better. If Zen3 is better than the OC 9900KS for the gaming rig I'll be jumping on that when it launches for sure. I'm not extremely disappointed in the 3700X by any means, overall it's a superior CPU, to say nothing of the 3900 and 3950, but they're still a bottleneck to a 2080ti or RTX Titan 144hz VRR rig, and the gap will be more commonly seen once faster GPUs are available. If Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs are as good as I think they will be, then maybe I won't have to run separate rigs for my general usage (currently the 3700X) vs gaming (9900KS OC).

Can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 man, it's gonna be awesome. Cheers mate.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the "yeah I don't buy it train". CDPR are good devs. And if Rock* can get gta5 running on the 360 and ps3, I refuse to believe that CDPR can't get this running on ps4xb1

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Dude, my post was basically calling the whole rumour bullshit...my guess is they haven't started optimizing the game yet. That's it.

There is several people independent from another saying that game was delayed because it failed at most basic technical performance level in order to enter cert.

So I would think there is something to this particular rumor.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I am all for performance optimization and accepting some visual downgrades on current consoles or low/mid PC hardware, so I can only wish them good luck.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the "yeah I don't buy it train". CDPR are good devs. And if Rock* can get gta5 running on the 360 and ps3, I refuse to believe that CDPR can't get this running on ps4xb1
Are they really though, at least in regards to optimization? Witcher 3 seems to be held together with gum after recent updates. Love their work but indoor and even some outdoor lighting is totally broken and they have nothing to say about it so far. Aside from a bit of a frame rate bump, the game had less issues when it shipped.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Cyberpunk is being built as a mainly current-gen game. Maybe it's targeting PC a little bit more but to me it still sounds like next-gen is secondary to them. It might be a situation similar to GTAV.

Yeah it was, but it was really inferior technically compared to the PC and 360 version.

Because it was made for a previous generation of consoles. It's like comparing Last of Us 2 to Last of Us 1 or something. Both games might have been called "Call of Duty 2", but they had absolutely nothing else in common. Different story, different characters, different levels, etc. Big Red One wasn't a downgraded last-gen version of COD2, it was a spin-off.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I believe it.

They cut a lot of stuff for W3 to work on current gen. I don't think this is any different. They always seem to shoot for the skies only to be brought back down by reality. Not just in performance but also in features. We already know 3rd person is cut minus some exceptions like on vehicles.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

These situations aren't comparable. When Rockstar demoed GTAV and let press get hands on, it was always on the PS3 version. The game was always geared toward that generation of consoles. CDPR not only hasn't let any press play Cyberpunk yet, but every time they show it the game is running on a high-end PC.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
We already know 3rd person is cut minus some exceptions like on vehicles.

3rd person cam never was in as anything else as camera for the driving. We have known this since 2018.

Why people feel need to make shit up?

Spoiler alert, Rockstar was also able to get Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a PS4/XBOX One.

Considering how barren and light on simulation RDR 2's world is I imagine it was bit easier task than what CDPR is going for with 77.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
These situations aren't comparable. When Rockstar demoed GTAV and let press get hands on, it was always on the PS3 version. The game was always geared toward that generation of consoles. CDPR not only hasn't let any press play Cyberpunk yet, but every time they show it the game is running on a high-end PC.
My point is, they made that game as big and complicated as they did with less than a gig of ram. I have no doubt CDPR can get this done on current Gen. And if they can't then my belief in them was severely misplaced.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Something tells me that one does not delay a game by 6 months for performance improvements. :)

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
3rd person cam never was in as anything else as camera for the driving. We have known this since 2018.

Why people feel need to make shit up?
They cut 3rd person cutscene for one. It's clearly there in the E3 trailer and gameplay videos. Now if they even planned to do more than cutscenes we never know. The fact is they cut it. How can you know 3rd person cutscenes wasn't planned in 2018 when it was present in the 2019 trailer?

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think people underestimate just how much good optimisation can achieve. And CD Projekt are one of the best in the business. I mean they got the Witcher 3 running on a switch.

Hopefully six more months development mean they can get the basic consoles performance up to scratch.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
They cut 3rd person cutscene for one. It's clearly there in the E3 trailer and gameplay videos. Now if they even planned to do more than cutscenes we never know. The fact is they cut it. How can you know 3rd person cutscenes wasn't planned in 2018 when it was present in the 2019 trailer?
What cut scene was present in 2019 trailer?

OP
OP
Dec 8, 2018
You're not wrong but damn that's rubbing it in lol. PC has been "next gen" gaming for quite awhile now. For everyone sake I wish they'd drop the current console version altogether but that's leaving a ton of money on the table.

I just hope they're ready to be working on patches for months on end and answering dumb questions like "how come it looks different on my launch ps4/ xbox one? "

PC is not next gen it's not a gen at all and the median PC setup is far from next gen. You are basically asking them to discard tons of PC users as well.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

What you mean? There is no 3rd person cutscenes in E3 2019 footage.

Also lets not try even imply that building game around 1st person from action to cutscenes is easy or easier than using 3rd person cutscenes. Especially when they intent to every "cutscene" to be fully interactive.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
This is probably a really reductive statement, but if base consoles can run Red Dead Redemption 2 well, then I'm sure they can get Cyberpunk there.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you think there will be a direct PS5 version later? Sure, buy it twice then, on Xbox it will probably just a patch for Series X support and will look identically.
No, what I meant is that Sony's first party games won't have to support 2013 hardware.

Feb 10, 2018
I still think Cyberpunk is being built as a mainly current-gen game. Maybe it's targeting PC a little bit more but to me it still sounds like next-gen is secondary to them. It might be a situation similar to GTAV.

Because it was made for a previous generation of consoles. It's like comparing Last of Us 2 to Last of Us 1 or something. Both games might have been called "Call of Duty 2", but they had absolutely nothing else in common. Different story, different characters, different levels, etc. Big Red One wasn't a downgraded last-gen version of COD2, it was a spin-off.
Can you think of a game that was held back a lot on the previous gen

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
So much for the great idea to make the Xbox One the baseline for the first 1-2 years of the XSX lifetime.

Looks like you can't just lower the resolution and dial back a few effects to make a next-gen game run on old hardware.

Who knew...
I'm OK with them shipping something like 600p version on base XBO. They are prolly trying to hit arbitrary baseline like 720p or gasp... even 900p. lolz

Most of ppl here would be waiting on XBsX or PS5 version to properly play the game anyways.

The interesting thing to me is the GPU being the problem since I'd figure the Jaguar CPU being the real bottleneck. And OG XBO isn't even the slowest one with Jaguar clocks...

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
This situation so interesting, because on one end, its like - Why not just delay to October/November when next gen outs out and make it a launch game. (talk about system sellers!)

But on the other end, I'm sure they want to sell this to fully ripe current gen userbase (106 mill PS4 users, 46 mill Xbox one users, huge percentage of which is likely still using base console versions).

Of course, they can release as current gen game, but then supply a patch for next gen performance boosts, which hopefully happens quickly.

As is, I will be there at launch on PS Pro (which should be playable and decent). By the time PS5 is here, hopefully there is a patch and maybe a 2nd playthrough of Cyberpunk can commence.