• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What? This is absurd! I heard so many times in the last few days, how easy it is to scale a game down. Can't they just press a button and it will do it automatically, or something?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Speculated that this was the cause in the other thread. Hopefully the extra time allows them to polish the PC/next-gen release as well.

Oct 25, 2017
When you're a PC player and don't have to worry about current gen consoles performance when the game drops.

tenor.gif

Go 'head, grandma. I see you girl!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can figure something out but I'd consider dropping XBO. Not sure if MS allow an XBX only game. They could just delay one version, release the other versions and scrap it later if need be once the new consoles are here and XBX drops in price.
Microsoft don't allow releases just on Xbox One X. Sony are the same with the PS4 Pro. We've confirmation in both cases but we don't even really need that - if they allowed it, we'd have seen it happen by now.

Ugh just release PC version and release it on console later?
They're not going to want to fragment their releases any more than they absolutely have to.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Well and here we see people arguing Xbox Series X exclusives and third party won't be hold back by Xbox One.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Since I'm being ignored, I will also say that Telltale Witcher was very nearly a thing back when The Witcher 3 was being developed. Nothing came out of it but the talks were quite advanced.

Glad it never came a thing, TT stuff is below mediocre for most of their output. Then CDPR made it themselves with Thronebreaker.

-----------------

So how many advanced simulation systems etc. they have to totally gut if not discard some to get the game running on base boxes?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised. I've always wondered how they were going to deliver the experience we've seen at trade shows on a base Xbox One. It just seems insane to me.

It's clearly a very ambitious title with a lot of complex near-field detail and interactions. It's one thing to offer a large world but doing so at the density and detail exhibited here is quite another.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Well and here we see people arguing Xbox Series X exclusives and third party won't be hold back by Xbox One.

Cyberpunk could either have been a) 'better', all else equal, or b) delivered in a shorter timeframe and/or with less crunch and/or on a smaller budget if it could have hypothetically, let go of lower platform requirements.

Of course it can't, for economic reasons, but that's the argument for 'pushing' the market on to higher end hardware, so more and more devs can economically enjoy the benefit of higher powered devices installed in the market. It's the argument that still stands at the end of the day, for all the positives of cross gen support for some consumers, and all the after-the-fact Switch port-miracles in the world etc. etc.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised. I've always wondered how they were going to deliver the experience we've seen at trade shows on a base Xbox One. It just seems insane to me.

It's clearly a very ambitious title with a lot of complex near-field detail and interactions. It's one thing to offer a large world but doing so at the density and detail exhibited here is quite another.

Surely it's just going to look like an MS Paint rendition at wildly varying frames per second

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously they've put too much development & marketing resources into current gen to renege now, but they absolutely would've been fine had they shifted to Next Gen only before the reveal.

This is CDPR, Cyberpunk would see nearly a 1:1 attach rate on both consoles throughout the launch window and sell steadily for years, on top of massive sales on PC.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017

So you're telling me they were far too ambitious for a current gen game? Nuts.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Surely it's just going to look like an MS Paint rendition at wildly varying frames per second
Well, it's not the visuals that I'm worried about, per se. It's everything else. I'm very curious how they're tackling this issue. It's definitely one of the most exciting games for that reason as it's likely to stress those older machines pretty hard.

So you're telling me they were far too ambitious for a current gen game? Nuts.
I suppose not since it's being made for those platforms but, based on the demos, it seems more ambitious in terms of density and scale than any other comparable game this gen.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

why would they though? Like be real here that Xbox thing is what, 2 years max? I just don't get the big deal that people cry about on here over it. I'm just expecting things to be scaled accordingly.

Oct 30, 2017
This shit is gonna be so ridiculously downgraded by release. LOD, textures, initial load times...it's all gonna be sacrificed for acceptable performance.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As long as this results in better performance on PC as well then it's all good.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's not the visuals that I'm worried about, per se. It's everything else. I'm very curious how they're tackling this issue. It's definitely one of the most exciting games for that reason as it's likely to stress those older machines pretty hard.

I suppose not since it's being made for those platforms but, based on the demos, it seems more ambitious in terms of density and scale than any other comparable game this gen.
Can't wait to see it come to life

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
That's totally ridiculous. Cyberpunk must've started development with the base PS4 and Xbox One in mind, they should have scoped the game so those platforms could run it. I'm fine with the game looking much worse on my base PS4 than on a high-end PC, but the framerate should be around 30, no excuses
In a perfect world they wouldn't have to limit their ambitions to the capabilities of current gen consoles. They just can't afford to leave all that money on the table.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thought next-gen would get bogged down by past-gen, but apparently we might be getting a bit of the vice versa as well. Old consoles not being particularly compatible with games striving to move on to next-gen ambitions. Which is how this transitional period should be, really. Preferable to HD ports.

Shame about the PC version possibly pointlessly getting dragged into this delay then though.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They are gonna promote the next gen versions exclusively from here on out.

And when it releases, DF is gonna have a field day with the older platforms.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If true then this is really frustrating.. why not release the game first on PC? CDPR are a PC first studio after all... other companies still do it sometimes for consoles first like monster hunter world...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Honestly,I've had this pegged as a PS5 game since it's first E3 trailer....never had any intention of playing it on my base PS4.I hope they get it to an acceptable level for the millions that will be playing on base consoles though.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously? This is a thread about current gen holding back a game.

The reason for most games being delayed is because the team haven't had enough time to optimise the game for whatever reason. The Cyberpunk delay is not a special case in that regard.
It would be like speculating that TLOU2 had to be delayed because its development process was hamstrung by base PS4 tech.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This year will be interesting because we are going to have a range of highly polish-ed/ambitious last-gen games and (videos of) the first wave of next-gen games.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
But the game was designed for current gen since years ago, why the performance issues showed up after announcing the earlier release date?
the issues didn't just show up. Optimization is one of the last things you do. They were probably hoping for it to be fixed at some point in winter