• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
news.avclub.com

CBS All Access might become Paramount+

The Paramount+ name is already used internationally, so it would make sense as a CBS All Access replacement.

We've been hearing for a few months that ViacomCBS wants to completely rebrand the CBS All Access streaming service, turning it into a proper Netflix/Hulu/Disney/Amazon/Apple/HBO/Quibi competitor rather than just the dedicated home of The Good Fight, The Twilight Zone, and the various Star Trek shows. We've already seen a bit of this, with CBS All Access picking up some fun stuff from the Viacom vault—specifically the complete run of SpongeBob Squarepants—and we know about some other Sponge-related things that will eventually come to the service once its rebranded, but we still don't know what the new-ish service will be called.

Until now! Actually, we still don't know for sure, but a Financial Times report has revealed that the top contender is apparently "Paramount+"—as in, the exact same damn naming convention used by Apple TV+, Disney+, and (until fairly recently, give or take the specific symbol) Hulu Plus. It's probably a smart choice, but it also a boring choice and very much a desperate "hey, we're here too!" choice. Then again, the "Plus" naming thing already makes sense to consumers, so people will presumably know exactly what it means when they see the name "Paramount+."

Aka naming it after the channel known for Bar Rescue and reruns of Mom

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering Viacom also owns Pluto, they should just merge the two services. Make CBSAA the premium tier of Pluto, and add free streaming channels of CBSAA content to Pluto. Suddenly two lower-tier streamers become something almost worth paying attention to.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If there's one thing that's sure to foster brand recognition, it's a name change after your product's been on the market for six years...

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Viacom also owns Pluto, they should just merge the two services. Make CBSAA the premium tier of Pluto, and add free streaming channels of CBSAA content to Pluto. Suddenly two lower-tier streamers become something almost worth paying attention to.
That makes too much sense to happen

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I don't really think the branding is their problem here. I think it's streaming service oversaturation that makes this one an easy skip for most.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I associate Star Trek with Paramount way more than I associate Star Trek with CBS
This is overdue, It pains me as a giant Star Trek fan that it was basically the only piece of content on CBS All Access was their Star Trek stuff, and I could only justify paying $10 for commercial free 1-2 months a year to watch a season when it finished. Hopefully this is something I could even consider keeping as a regular sub

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Uh ok, why not CBS+? Paramount+ is going to be abbreviated to PP
Part of the issue is that CBS is seen as an 'old person's brand' by Millennials™. (This is definitely because millennials are wrong, and not because CBS has almost exclusively made shows for your Dad for 20+ years)

How Paramount (a studio best known for multiple failed Star Trek movies & frequently being bailed out by Netflix) is the better brand option is beyond me.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm surprised they don't name it something like Viacom+ to represent the various properties they have instead of focusing only on things people associate with CBS or things people associate with Paramount. Comedy Central, CMT, MTV, TV Land, Nickelodeon, BET, Showtime, etc.

Of course, for whatever reason they seem to license out Comedy Central to HBO and Nick to Netflix so maybe they don't want to have an inclusive service but just stuff from here and stuff from there. Which makes no sense to me, the big reason they don't seem like a competitor to me is because a lot of their non Star Trek stuff is available elsewhere.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna see the new spongebob film. Its fucking bullshit us in america have to wait until next year

Last edited:

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This dull, unimaginative branding smacks of 'we're going to be selling this dog & pony show in a few years anyway so what difference does it make what we call it'?

Still not worse than calling a service Peacock

At least Comcast put some effort into a name for their streaming platform......even if it isn't a very good one.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't really think the branding is their problem here. I think it's streaming service oversaturation that makes this one an easy skip for most.

It's not just oversaturation. If you're not a Trek fan (or a Big Brother fan in Summer) what is unique about the service to get you to subscribe? A ton of their best stuff is on other services, mainly Netflix.

Even with oversaturation if you have something that is unique and in demand, you'll get people to subscribe for a bit and rotate their services. Disney + doesn't have much new stuff but they have an excellent catalog for kids. HBO has branding issues but just the HBO content alone was enough to let people subscribe to it (let alone if they have some kind of GoT style hit again), and the price is exactly the same as pre-Max. Prime still has Prime shipping as the main draw, but they do have some compelling originals like the Boys. I'm not sure what CBS or Peacock have.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point in consider an internationally recognised name when the product isn't available internationally?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They should Unite all the various Paramount brands into a single Network, now they just need a catchy acronym.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a Trek series following DS9 already.

I plan on watching Picard this weekend in between Fandome. Don't know if it's any good.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I know they have Trek and Trek is good but, like, they still feel like the 'one too many' network even with D+ and HBO Max coming after they did. Even just branding wise it's 'pretty' obvious what the former offer and I'm not sure what All Access even has besides Trek and Twilight Zone and I paid for it for a month during quarantine.

Peacock is silly too but it's free and 'remember how 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks were on NBC' seems like an easy mental bridge.

This is my way of complaining that other countries get the Trek shows on Netflix.

I plan on watching Picard this weekend in between Fandome. Don't know if it's any good.

It's ok.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Viacom fucked up this streaming service already cause they sold so many rights to their properties to other streaming services just in the last year

Like south park to Hbo Max, all the nickelodeon stuff to Netflix ie avatar, and didnt netflix strike a deal with Nick to produce new shit for them too? Bet they regret that shit

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Paramount+ is a better name than CBS All Access, but that's a low bar.

Wet Dog Farts+ is a better name than CBS All Access.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title should be updated, here's ViacomCBS' official press release:

www.viacomcbs.com

ViacomCBS Unveils Brand for Upcoming Global Streaming Service: Paramount+ | Paramount

Paramount is one of the world’s leading producers of premium entertainment content that connects billions of people in nearly every country in the world.

CBS All Access to Be Rebranded as Paramount+ in Early 2021

International Launch in 2021 with Initial Debut in Australia, Latin America, and the Nordics

Additional Exclusive Original Series Planned for Paramount+ from CBS, BET, MTV and Paramount to Join Its Unique Combination of Live Sports, Breaking News and Premium Entertainment

Plans Include Five New Original Series for the Service: THE OFFER, a Limited Event Series About the Making of "The Godfather," One of the Most Legendary Films in Paramount's History from Oscar and Emmy-Nominated Writer Michael Tolkin; LIONESS, from "Yellowstone" Creator Taylor Sheridan; a New Edition of BEHIND THE MUSIC from MTV; THE REAL CRIMINAL MINDS True Crime Docuseries; and a Revival of BET's THE GAME

Additional Original Series to Be Announced in Advance of Launch

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Idiotic.

Why would you logically associate CBS, Viacom cable channels and sports with Paramount?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017

I would love it, but with two key cast members no longer with us and Brookes apparently having zero interest in Trek nowadays, I don't see it ever happening.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way I'll be a regular subscriber to such a limited service, but here's one possible positive that could justify all these studios making services: Giving access to old vaults. If studios, on various services, open their vault, back to the 30s I mean, I will gladly pay for a month now and then to watch golden age Hollywood movies.