• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Looking forward getting new, totally not fitting weapons shoved into Warzone and breaking the game again.
lol that kinda happened in Blackout when one of the best weapons in the game was the MP-40. Wouldn't be surprised if an StG-44 ended up becoming the Warzone meta.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
I commend Activision for giving Infinity Ward another year for MW2-2. If they are allowed to design it for current-gen first (and maybe have lesser versions for last-gen), they could do something really special with their engine and graphics.

It seems that CoD 2021 is more just to keep cadence. Have Activision revealed how their revenue is split between BOCW and Warzone. It might be that they want a 'new' title out just in order to sustain things for CDL and keeping the CoD name in the spotlight.

Either way, like others have said it feels like this year's FPS battle is for Battlefield to lose. I don't think they'll get the serendipity of a Ghosts or Infinite Warfare where the fanbase really turned on CoD - I think it'll more be that if you put the games side-by-side, you'll be able to tell which one had the more stable dev cycle (and that is on the fault of Activision management demanding a CoD every year, rather than anything else).

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, like others have said it feels like this year's FPS battle is for Battlefield to lose. I don't think they'll get the serendipity of a Ghosts or Infinite Warfare where the fanbase really turned on CoD - I think it'll more be that if you put the games side-by-side, you'll be able to tell which one had the more stable dev cycle (and that is on the fault of Activision management demanding a CoD every year, rather than anything else).

Even when Ghost and Infinite Warfare came out they still outsold the BF game of that year.

CoD basically is too big to fail.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm not buying this game no matter how good it is based on koticks 200 million dollar bonus.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I hope not, I already have Wolfenstein for my alt-history WW2 fix. Feels a little redundant. Just throw me a bone and give me Infinite Warfare 2 please.
I'd expect it to be that Fallout nuclear worrying style 50's Americana set in the early years of the Cold War.
Basically NukeTown the game

Linkie3

Feb 8, 2019
I grew up with the first Call of Duty's, Medal of Honor's etc all set in WWII. How are people here sick of WWII setting, when we only got one major game in this setting this generation? I am really exiting about more games in this setting. And alternate history sounds as a interesting setting for this game.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I was probably going to buy this even if I wasn't that interested, but this is a neat development. Sounds more interesting than CoD WW2 1.5 in the Pacific (WW2 felt too clean compared to WAW, it probably wouldn't have done much for me)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I prefer modern age warfare compared to world war II. Well let's see who will get my money this year (BF or CoD).

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I never understood why people hate WW 2 as setting with such passion, but embrace modern / near-future stuff as bestest setting ever when at the end they make next to no gameplay difference. You are still going to have your AR15, MP5, Beretta 9mm, .338 Lapua Magnum etc. even if they look different. Either old-ish timey, modern or modern with some laughable doodads added to make it "future".

Personally I'm bored as hell of modern / near-future stuff for FPS as it's all we have had since CoD 4 and no one does anything interesting with it.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
If true, looks like I'll be skipping the second COD release in as many years.

SMH

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Even when Ghost and Infinite Warfare came out they still outsold the BF game of that year.

CoD basically is too big to fail.
I guess the challenge for Battlefield is that unless it makes a solid dent in the year it launches (even if that doesn't mean outselling CoD), then it has far less chance of sustaining a player count - which is necessary given BF isn't an annual franchise.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Wasn't there a horrible alternative history CoD clone that did something like this during the 360 years?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Could either be great or terrible, but I'd be interested in what, uhm, curious take CoD would have on to why WW2 didn't end

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I never understood why people hate WW 2 as setting with such passion, but embrace modern / near-future stuff as bestest setting ever when at the end they make next to no gameplay difference. You are still going to have your AR15, MP5, Beretta 9mm, .338 Lapua Magnum etc. even if they look different. Either old-ish timey, modern or modern with some laughable doodads added to make it "future".

Personally I'm bored as hell of modern / near-future stuff for FPS as it's all we have had since CoD 4 and no one does anything interesting with it.
It's just a setting that we've visited one trillion times before. It's like old western movies. There's only so many times I can watch dudes with mustaches have duels in a dirt street. It just doesn't exactly evoke excitement when you first hear it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Could either be great or terrible, but I'd be interested in what, uhm, curious take CoD would have on to why WW2 didn't end

Will they use "Nazis nuked Moscow to knockout Russia from the war and went all in on West" narrative like some have in the past?

It's just a setting that we've visited one trillion times before. It's like old western movies. There's only so many times I can watch dudes with mustaches have duels in a dirt street. It just doesn't exactly evoke excitement when you first hear it.

Okay... and?

We've visited modern / near-future setting one trillion times before now yet somehow people drool all over that shit still. I just don't get it. Like I mentioned it isn't like devs actually go wild with gameplay depending on time period.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Okay... and?

We've visited modern / near-future setting one trillion times before now yet somehow people drool all over that shit still. I just don't get it. Like I mentioned it isn't like devs actually go wild with gameplay depending on time period.
A huge part of COD is modularity of weapons. Modern and future warfare allows a wider variety of weapons with a wider variety of attachments that actually kinda make sense. With WW2, you get a Springfield rifle. You can't exactly jam a lightweight suppressor, extended magazine, tactical laser, and folding stock into that. Meanwhile in a modern game you can turn an M4 into a Swiss Army knife and put frag rounds into an AA-12.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a COD since Black Ops 3, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How does Warzone work between games? Does it currently contain content for both MW & Cold War? And then when this new one comes out, it'll have weapons from all 3 games in one? Kinda interested how they're handling the live service aspect of it

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

How does Warzone work between games? Does it currently contain content for both MW & Cold War? And then when this new one comes out, it'll have weapons from all 3 games in one? Kinda interested how they're handling the live service aspect of it
Yes, Warzone has content from both games. In the menu, you see an icon for which game it belongs to.

When this comes out, supposedly it will all get mixed up, so WW2, Cold War and modern weapons all together.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
The last few COD's have been a blast, so I'll definitely check it out. Though Sledgehammer's games have typically been forgettable for me.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I hope not, I already have Wolfenstein for my alt-history WW2 fix. Feels a little redundant. Just throw me a bone and give me Infinite Warfare 2 please.
Except the newer wolfensteins didn't have mp.
not that the gameplay mechanics would have really translated well to pvp imho.
Hopefully theyll go crazy with the weapons, equipment and vehicles.
(also infinite warfare is my favourite out of the campaigns this gen as well and it's a shame that it got overshadowed by a so-so mp and zombies outing)

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Warzone uses MW2019's engine and takes content mostly from MW using 1 giant map from Ground War and Spec ops, class system and adding weapons and operators from Cold War. There's also Alcatraz from Blops 4 which is a much smaller map

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I hate World War multiplayer games but love them as single player games so im down for this, Ive also enjoyed the last 2 campaigns. Really wish they decided to just sell that so I didn't have to wait for a price drop. Cod multiplayer in general is something I only play for about a week or so, im more of a BF guy.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I wonder if they will somehow integrate this into Warzone. The Black Ops Cold War integration to Warzone really ruined the Meta and balancing of the game. I remember when the DMR and Type 63 were out-dueling snipers and how the MAC 10 became the best weapon at close quarters. They nerfed them pretty quickly, but this resulted in other Cold War weapons becoming the Meta.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wonder if they will somehow integrate this into Warzone. The Black Ops Cold War integration to Warzone really ruined the Meta and balancing of the game. I remember when the DMR and Type 63 were out-dueling snipers and how the MAC 10 became the best weapon at close quarters. They nerfed them pretty quickly, but this resulted in other Cold War weapons becoming the Meta.
They obviously will. Warzone isn't just a game, it's also a marketing tool for the premium CoD games Activision releases every year. Expose the Warzone playerbase to those games by letting the Warzone players use those weapons and some characters and eventually even a map based on the new game in the hopes that it will cause people to buy the premium game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Exactly. I imagine the next Battlefield will be back to WW2 after this game comes out.

We had 5 modern set Battlefields back to back, it's not like they have cared what COD has done in the past

This isn't really new to just Cold War weapons, basically any time they added ANY weapon to MW, it became the new meta often and quickly needed nerfing. It was just more noticeable with CW weapons cause they dropped a shit ton of new guns into the game overnight so the meta was a quick clusterfuck

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It's gonna be 2024 and they'll have loadouts from six different Call of Duty titles jammed into the Modern Warfare engine and the map will still be Verdansk. JGOD will never sleep again as he's too busy testing all 300 weapons.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
A huge part of COD is modularity of weapons. Modern and future warfare allows a wider variety of weapons with a wider variety of attachments that actually kinda make sense. With WW2, you get a Springfield rifle. You can't exactly jam a lightweight suppressor, extended magazine, tactical laser, and folding stock into that. Meanwhile in a modern game you can turn an M4 into a Swiss Army knife and put frag rounds into an AA-12.

So called modularity in FPS games became increasingly necessary as devs kept adding unlock grinds into the FPS games. You very much can do without or limit selection to more meaningful choices without there being 100 red dot variants to grind out before first front grip etc.

On top of that whole modularity more often than not is just shallow illusion of choice as everyone ends up running same kits because very limited few options out classes everything else by clear margins.

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings,
WW2 is boring as hell as is alternate history WW2.
But Sledgehammer's last game was the least janky and dumb COD in a very long time.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
And who is to say alternate history post-WW2 won't have attachment options? CoD WW2 had a range of attachments, pretty much for one for every part of the gun, and suppressors for SMGs and pistols. Black Ops Cold War has nearly the same amount of attachments as MW.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really burnt out on "modern" shooters so if they make alt-WW2 extra fantastical I'll be hyped

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
And who is to say alternate history post-WW2 won't have attachment options? CoD WW2 had a range of attachments, pretty much for one for every part of the gun, and suppressors for SMGs and pistols. Black Ops Cold War has nearly the same amount of attachments as MW.
And those modular parts look ridiculous and are openly mocked for a reason. The Cold War weapons with the attachments literally look like somebody Frankenstein'd them together. The "grips" are literally duct tape and rubber bands.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Something like this seems like it takes place in a universe where Operation Unthinkable happened. Probably not even including Nazis, but instead focused on an immediate fight in Poland against the Allies and the Soviets.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Be prepared to cycle between WW2, Modern Warfare, and Black Ops for the next half decade.