• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
An Alternate 1950's where WWII never ended.

www.gamesradar.com

The next Call of Duty is reportedly set in alt-history 1950s where WW2 never ended

The game's working title is said to be Call of Duty WWII: Vanguard

That report comes from sources speaking to ModernWarzone, which claims that that name is very much a working title, and that this year's game may eventually ship under a different name. While it's worth taking this rumor with a pinch of salt, especially in lieu of any official comment from Activision or Sledgehammer, the title could provide a hint as to the nature of the game.

Whether or not the word 'Vanguard' features in the final title, it seems increasingly likely that we'll be returning to World War Two. Sledgehammer was the lead developer behind 2017's Call of Duty: WWII, so could easily be set to return to that period. What's more, a Call of Duty leaker has already suggested that this year's game will be set in World War II, and ModernWarzone also reports that some of the game's cutscenes will be set in the 1950s, soon after the period in which the war took place.

Activision has confirmed that this year's entry in its FPS series will be coming in late 2021, as is pretty much custom at this point, but we've had very little in the way of official information since then. That said, Call of Duty's reveal events tend to be in the summer, so we should find out more relatively soon.

Update: More information regarding the next Call of Duty game has reportedly surfaced.

Following its reveal of what it claimed is the working title of this year's release, leaker ModernWarzone has released a new report outlining the game's setting. In a recent video, ModernWarzone stated that "the entire game takes place in an alternate timeline where 1945 wasn't the end of World War 2," and will take place in the 1950s.

Should be noted that ModernWarzone is a leaker that showed up prior to MW19 and has been pretty accurate with their leaks ever since then.

So this would be the first Alternate history Call of Duty. Assuming you don't count Zombies... Although technically Black Ops 2 will soon be Alt-history too lol

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, I already have Wolfenstein for my alt-history WW2 fix. Feels a little redundant. Just throw me a bone and give me Infinite Warfare 2 please.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Looking forward getting new, totally not fitting weapons shoved into Warzone and breaking the game again.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, I already have Wolfenstein for my alt-history WW2 fix. Feels a little redundant.

Eh... But Wolfenstein is really different. This isn't likely to go nearly as campy nor as fantastical with it's technology.

It could be interesting to see a more grounded (well as grounded as CoD can be) take on this kind of setting.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Alt history is always fun. Semi-hopeful they don't go the sort of played out tesla coil / ridiculous amount of technological progress route.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
another ww2?

Urgh...

Hope we moved passed this after ww2/bf1/bfv

Well this is likely happening due to Sledgehammer not being able to make a completely "original" CoD since their development was greatly shortened after the whole Raven-Sledgehammer debacle (Treyarch wasn't supposed to be on CoD 2020), and thus they need to make a game that can reuse a lot of stuff.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think we have to talk...

I mean, I generally look at "Alt history" as set in the past rather than speculative future.

A big part of Alt history stories is also generally some big part of history that diverges. Not just any story that didn't happen that is set in the past.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all ready for some nazi nukes? Because that will 100% be the case with an alt history 1950's.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mean, I generally look at "Alt history" as set in the past rather than speculative future.

A big part of Alt history stories is also generally some big part of history that diverges. Not just any story that didn't happen that is set in the past.
I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about every time they rewrite history to makes US army looks great and the ennemy looks bad.
That's alt history but present as history.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This seems weird when MW2019, BW:CW and Warzone are currently in their own shared universe.

To make this setting work they'd either have to ditch that whole 'shared CoD universe' thing after just three games, or they'd have to somehow work this alt history into a setting where the historical events of Black Ops 1 could somehow still make sense.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This seems weird when MW2019, BW:CW and Warzone are currently in their own shared universe.

To make this setting work they'd either have to ditch that whole 'shared CoD universe' thing after just three games, or they'd have to somehow work this alt history into a setting where the historical events of Black Ops 1 could somehow still make sense.
Well, we don't really know how WW2 ended on this new universe.

But that's the dumbest explanation I can think of.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with historical shooters for a while, even with alt-history hooks. Would have much preferred Advanced Warfare 2 from Sledgehammer.

Unless they truly go all out with the alt-history stuff but I doubt it will reach Wolfenstein levels.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Guessing this just won't be related... or somehow they'll explain this is some pocket dimension due to Dark Aether.

Battlefield bout to whoop some ass this year

It'll probably end the same way CoD vs BF always ends.

World at War is still canon though, and nothing in BO1 suggested something like this as it was clearly set after "normal" WWII.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah, that's true. But the new universe has all of Black Ops 1 in its canon so WW2 would have had to have ended in such a way where the 60s could have rolled around in almost exactly the same way it did in our own history.

Guessing this just won't be related... or somehow they'll explain this is some pocket dimension due to Dark Aether.

Oh yeah, I forgot multiverse shit is now canon to CoD lol. Would still be weird, though, so who knows.

I did see on Reddit that this might just be a mistake and the game is actually one that starts with WW2 before moving into the Korean War. I could definitely see someone mistaking a game like that for 'alt-history WW2' if the leak they received was vague enough.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Here`s hope we get Jetpacks.

Timetravels, son. Nazis in Verdansk.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a full game of nazi zombies but without the zombies.

Wolfenstein already did their job and i don't think a CoD game is capable of doing it as good or better.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I might be interested if we get some proper weirdo alt-history technology shit. Not interested in regular WWII at all.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not a big CoD fan but alternate history, or a time travel story where people are jumping into different war eras with higher levels of tech than they wouldve had, have always been the 2 settings I've been hoping they would do. I hope this is true cuz I want this lol

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like we're in a holding pattern until Modern Warfare 2. More than anything I think they need to work out what they're doing with Warzone (and unshackle it from MW2019) and just streamline a ton of stuff there.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
If BF6 really turns out to have a modern setting I imagine it getting the lead over CoD this year. Another WW2 setting isnt what the majority want atm. Thats my strong impression though. And I am one of them. WW2 as a setting restricts the gameplay because of lack of modern tech. It can still be a good game but I rather mod my gun to my liking than having minimal attachment variety (if at all).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like we're in a holding pattern until Modern Warfare 2. More than anything I think they need to work out what they're doing with Warzone (and unshackle it from MW2019) and just streamline a ton of stuff there.
We are indeed.

At least they're giving time to Infinity Ward to make it great, instead of just putting their game this year and keep the same order of the cycle.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
alt history ww2 may be interesting I suppose

But I have no interest in another straight forward ww2 shooter

Jun 17, 2018
Definitely up for this if true. I loved WW2 so happy to have more of that. It would be the icing on the cake if it were in the MW engine!

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
As long as it's not in the vein of wolfenstein I guess.

I quite like the squad mechanics of WW2's campaign though. Hopefully the game doesnt thirst over Josh Durnham as much.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
I like the Sledgehammer games CODs. Dont mind WW2 Setting. Lets see. Still hope that someday normal prestige is back. BOCW does it better than MW2019 but still not as fun as before.

Modern Setting would be stale too. BOCW still feels pretty modern.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
If they intend to make this part of the shared cod universe why not set it during the 90's and bridge the gap between BO and MW.