• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but its pretty rare and even rarer for first-party games? I do agree none of this matters if these 'number of games' were all unannounced.

It will be interesting to see if Sony also skip their big anniversary.

Nah. First parties absolutely cancel games all the time. They probably cancel them more often than third parties do, honestly.

The difference is that first parties can get away with waiting way longer to reveal their games than third parties can.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Unannounced projects that barely made it out of the concept/prototype stage shouldn't warrant being described as "cancelled".

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wait, what? Someone really said that? Lol

Thank me later.

www.resetera.com

Square Enix need to be called out for NOT adding trophies to any of the expansions to FFXIV. Thought they had to add them by law if its paid content?

The PS4 version has the bare minimum trophies for an MMORPG. You only get trophies for the vanilla main scenario quest A Realm Reborn, arguably the weakest part of the game too. You don't get any added trophies for buying any of the three expansions. I thought this wasn't allowed? How come...

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
All game companies do this.

Sony is just the best at controlling the narrative, so we don't hear much about their fuckery.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder what some of the titles that got cancelled when Allan Becker took over Japan Studio were (and if an Ape Escape game was one of them)-
kotaku.com

How Sony's Hometown Studio Rose From the Ashes In Time for the PS4

The Tokyo-based Japan Studio, responsible for PlayStation 2 classics such as Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Ape Escape franchise, seemed A.W.O.L. for much of the PS3 generation. Now, on the eve of the PlayStation 4's release, Japan Studio is trying to make a major comeback. I went to Tokyo...

"Becker described the sheer love and passion the studio's developers had for the titles—all 40-odd of them—they were creating. Creativity was never the problem at the Japan Studio. Neither was the passion to make games. "And so," he said, "I was really troubled when I had to really start to focus and cut titles."

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Surely Brian would understand the difference here? His tweets make it sound like games in actual production got cancelled given the context is showing games at a theoretical TGS conference?

From the Shu Yoshida/Ted Price podcast interview linked earlier - prototyping on concepts can go on for months. And prototyping time, and the size of prototyping teams, has been getting longer and larger. So the risk of that phase has been increasing.

I think it would be easy for someone external to hear things about games - playable games - in production for months by sizeable enough teams being 'cancelled', and to interpret that one way, while internally it was well accepted that this was just part of a prototyping process.

Again, to quote Yoshida from that interview: 'we start more games than we finish'.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IpDAgCi.gif

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
From the Shu Yoshida/Ted Price podcast interview linked earlier - prototyping on concepts can go on for months. And prototyping time, and the size of prototyping teams, has been getting longer and larger. So the risk of that phase has been increasing.

I think it would be easy for someone external to hear things about games - playable games - in production for months by sizeable enough teams being 'cancelled', and to interpret that one way, while internally it was well accepted that this was just part of a prototyping process.

Again, to quote Yoshida from that interview: 'we start more games than we finish'.

You may well be right and I agree about many games getting cancelled/dropped at the concepts/prototypes stage. That is nothing new at all.

Hopefully Brian elaborates on what he heard so we can all better understand.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Gee I guess MS isnt the only one who cancels games. The only difference between MS and sony here is that you HEARD about MS's cancellations....happens to all companies behind the scenes more than people think. It's business.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone heard the rumor that Nintendo may be developing video games? Can anyone confirm this or is it just speculation?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Gee I guess MS isnt the only one who cancels games. The only difference between MS and sony here is that you HEARD about MS's cancellations....happens to all companies behind the scenes more than people think. It's business.
You'd have to be a massive Sony fanboy to think that, it's well known a huge number of games in production get canned. I guess the difference in Sony's and Microsoft's case is cancelling games pre announcement vs after.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony have had a bunch of managements changes in the last few years so it makes sense that they might have had more cancellations than normal.

It's a good time to do it though with the PS4 reaching EOL and with their third party strength.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most pointless and worst thread in a while! A thread based on lack of insight ! Based on nothing! wow interesting ...

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised we haven't heard anything about third parties being chafed at Sony just deciding that they don't need to act as a lamp for them this year. I think it's contributing significantly to people downplaying expectations for holiday PS4/XB1 titles.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't know about this.

They surely have God of War 2, Spider Man 2, and Horizon 2 in the works.

They surely have studio japan working on sometime.

They surely have a few new IP's.

I feel like folks want 15 brand new AAA IPs to be revealed this month for the PS5 launch window. Relax guys. The PS Meeting will happen. There will be reveals. Square Enix and other devs are making epic AAA experiences for PS5.

We haven't even gotten Death Stranding, Jedi Fallen Order, Shenmue 3, Last of Us 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Avengers, and Cyberpunk yet and I feel like folks are worried about games getting cancelled. And all of these are soon pretty much. Ghost of Tsushima will launch in 2020 or 2021 and other titles too!

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Probably VR titles. Maybe they want make high quality ones like Astro Bot and Blood & Truth.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyway, without anything more than that tweet it's hard to say to what extent this is / isn't true.

Projects are cancelled all the time in early stages of development. If more news comes to light about cancelled projects please make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.