• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Kern is a piece of shit. Even if that 4chan post was true, that post itself is just complaining about going woke at one stage. I don't see why anyone would see that and think "This is a reliable source to make a thread about" when you combine the tweet and post itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wasn't FFXIV named in a recent WoW survey? I mean, it's quite obvious they would be "worried" if their numbers are in a decline yet FFXIV appears to be at the highest point it's ever been. You don't even need to read a 4chan post to add anything to that. MMOs are a unique breed in that very few people play more than one at a given time, so competitors are a big deal.

Lots of game industry surveys mention other games or even genres to get better data about the participant's experiences or how they spend their time.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Man its a 4chan rumor but I could believe it. Most people I know either jumped to wow classic, quit or...started to play FF14.

Retail wow is a fucking joke. I honestly hope blizz is sweating.

Elseworld expansions to the classic servers would be killer and bring more people back I think. Like marvel "What if..." shit. Same level caps, just new tiers of raiding with new bosses and gear and the story for classic/tbc keeps going. Then again that doesn't fix retail so probably not worth it.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

According to this a lead developer from blizz posted some info about what morale is like at blizzard hq about world of warcrafts future.

Sounds like the mass exodus from wow to final fantasy XIV has a lot of people worried. The state of the game is in shambles and people REALLY hate the narrative in the games story. Sylvannas's whole arc really pissed off core Wow players.

Also people are really upset about the quality of voice acting lately. Seems they will be considering their hires much more critically now.

As a whole they are wondering if its time for Wow to be sunset and move on to the next big thing.

FFXIV is really hurting WoW in general. And now with this mass exodus morale at blizz is very low.

The entire twitter thread is also worth reading on how we got here.

None of that is particularly unbelievable, but I'm not aware of any grand backlash against current VA work in general. The Kael'Thas thing was a toxic person being replaced, so naturally that was going to rile up the usual "SJW BAD" chuds that hate anything they see as capitulating to the left.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Blizzard died when they stopped making RTS titles because they weren't a cash cow. They just want as much money as possible for as little effort as possible. They have no interest in making great games anymore.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Are we seriously going to engage with a "WoW and Blizzard are too woke to run an MMO" line of thinking?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this your mans

tsSh634.png

CGowW-UUYAAgHCp.png

mark-kern-on-gamergate.jpg
I had the dude blocked for I forgot why. now I remember

time to close this thread

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Regardless on if its true or not. Wow is losing players in DROVES. EVERY single realm on ffxiv is full at peak times. This is unprecidented. He's right about streamers having a MASSIVE influence on consumers. There are thousands of people running around on my realm in new starter areas. That's insane.

The novice network is full. I've never seen that before.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys. Regardless on if its true or not. Wow is losing players in DROVES. EVERY single realm on ffxiv is full at peak times. This is unprecidented. He's right about streamers having a MASSIVE influence on consumers. There are thousands of people running around on my realm in new starter areas. That's insane.

So, like, the same things said in other threads about the topic?

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they're looking at FF but this is saltierthancrait Lucasfilm in shambles! level of post.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
So shitty if true. Find success from building a product you are proud of, not by prioritizing stamping out the competition and locking your users into contracts. Activision strikes again.

Yeah I didnt know about him. However ffxiv's effect on wow is a discussion.
www.resetera.com

Are there really WOW players migrating to FF14 or is that "WOW refugee" term just banter?

I keep seeing wow refugee videos on my youtube feed about how everyone hates BFA, how they hate it so much they moved on to FFXIV. But is that shit true? Have you seen actual wow heads going to FFXIV? Only wow heads I know are never playing any other video games other than WOW to begin with. If...

EDIT: lol whatyearisit.png -- never mind :)

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Even Asmongold called this bullshit. The big red flag is the "wokeness" rant near the end which WoW's devs would not give a fuck about.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to use this to make my yearly post that the best MMO mechanically ever made is still Rift. It's a damn shame it didn't pull in a bigger audience from WoW.

It's been 17 years, blizzard leadership better have a plan for wow 2, nothing lasts forever.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I feel like there are a lot of loaded fundamental assumptions in a lot of what is said in that thread, to the point that addressing any one point feels like you are accepting some other assumptions. I don't know where to start. Its sketchy af

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ok then. I didnt know any of this.

however what he is saying about monetization and losing your creative talent is true. I didnt know he was a douchebag. My bad.

The novice network is full. I've never seen that before.
I don't think anyone in this thread really disagrees that WoW is in a bad shape right now and XIV is dominating the MMO market. But its hard to have a discussion about that specifically when the OP is about a dubious rumor from someone infamous for going out of his way to paint Blizzard as a villain due to a petty grudge (in addition to enabling harassment). Someone already linked another thread where this is being discussed.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That sure reads like a fake thing someone at 4Chan unhappy with the WoW situation made to rile people up, especially including the part about the voice actor, since some fans weren't happy about the voice actor, so thus making it sound like there was some internal controversy about it at Blizzard.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The guy doesn't work for the company, yet presents himself as knowing their inner workings. Mhmmm. 🙄

It's like me presenting myself as a Best Buy expert because I worked there a decade ago.

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
I can't see this being genuine. For one, there is no realistic prospect that the next expansion is planned for release in early 2022. Blizzard might be optimistic, but they aren't dumb.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole section of that green text talking about sjw wokeness. I really doubt it's real, doubly so coming from 4chan

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that WoW is still kicking after all those years is a wonder to me.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt know about this guys history. I guess this thread can be closed. My bad.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This thread's basis is a very questionable source both in person and in veracity. It has therefore been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.