• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Confirmed
The CW on Friday announced that the upcoming fourth season will serve as the final one for the Greg Berlanti-produced DC Comics drama.

"When we first started the Black Lighting journey, I knew that Jefferson Pierce and his family of powerful Black women would be a unique addition to the superhero genre. The love that Blerds and all comic book fans around the globe have shown this series over the past three seasons proved what we imagined, Black people want to see themselves in all their complexities," showrunner and exec producer Salim Akil said in a statement. "Thank you to the phenomenal cast, writers and crew without whom none of this would've been possible. I'm incredibly proud of the work we've been able to do and the moments we've been able to create in bringing DC's first African-American family of superheroes to life for the culture."
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Black Lightning’ to End With Season 4 on The CW

'Black Lightning' is coming to an end. The CW on Friday announced that the upcoming fourth season will serve as the final one for the DC Comics drama.

Usually they're right with their tweets. I can't find any other news on this though. Hopefully it's not true, but damn that would suck.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I swear, if they got this news from here, I will laaaaaaaaugh. Look at the time stamps.

www.resetera.com

Black Lightning S3 |OT| Agents of A.S.A.

Have a friend who works on the set of Black Lightning. Apperantly this will be it's last season. Take with a grain of salt cause he heard it from a department head meeting.

EDIT - Or not, wow

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Twice as good as Arrow, half the seasons sounds about right

OP
OP
jwk94

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
They just formed their Justice Society too smh. Really want to know why this is ending.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Major shakeups in the Arrowverse this year. It's hard to imagine what it's going to look like going forward.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This is also hilarious they're now losing 3 members of their Justice League. Supergirl, Batwoman, and now Black Lightning. So stupid.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn. I suppose I should ask, how was season 3? The hook at the end of season 2 of facing an enemy nation didn't seem appealing.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well end Flash and Legends and move on. Its been real fun but they need to end at some point. I love Black Lightning though I wish it had gotten to 5 seasons at least.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lets me google something

*googles All American*

Oh ok we good, wasn't a straight deblacking

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Damn the CW shows are dropping left and right. Arrow, Supergirl, now Black Lightning. Then you've got Brandon Routh leaving Legends, Batwoman losing the lead actress, the Canaries spinoff seemingly not picked up(?), etc.

Black Lightning was imo the highest quality show of the bunch, shame it's ending.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC S1 & S2 Black Lightning had the lowest ratings of the Arrowverse shows.

Even lower than Legends? Yikes.

Damn the CW shows are dropping left and right. Arrow, Supergirl, now Black Lightning. Then you've got Brandon Routh leaving Legends, Batwoman losing the lead actress, the Canaries spinoff seemingly not picked up(?), etc.

Black Lightning was imo the highest quality show of the bunch, shame it's ending.

To be clear: Brandon Routh was let go from Legends, he and Courtney Ford absolutely would've stuck around if the CW wanted them.

Oct 25, 2017
So CW will soon have lost:
Arrow
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Batwoman (probably)

and Flash is probably not lasting much longer, Legends can go on forever, Superman and Lois may end up okay.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So CW will soon have lost:
Arrow
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Batwoman (probably)

and Flash is probably not lasting much longer, Legends can go on forever, Superman and Lois may end up okay.

Flash had plans for two more seasons if they could convince Grant to stick around, so unless he decides to bail they're probably safe for a few more years.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Ohhh yeah... Painkiller is coming. So we're losing BL for Painkiller? Uhhhhh not a trade I was willing to take here. But I guess PK's show would be way cheaper with a smaller cast.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I would love for it to have more seasons but a lot of what has been happening makes it seem like the show is nearing a conclusion.

It's nice they will get to finish at least.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Well now the news of a possible Painkiller spin-off makes more sense.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Twice as good as Arrow, half the seasons sounds about right
7E7E.gif

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With BL gone, I would've rather have gotten a Thunder (and Lightning) spinoff over Painkiller and he's one of my favorites on BL. Batwoman has a black lead now but I just don't see it being as 'black' as BL was - both socially and culturally. Seeing Jeff's daughters wearing bonnets, their hair half-done while they were getting it braided, and stuff was special to me as a black woman. The Flash has Iris but they barely allow her to be black - something Candice Patton has spoken up against and so far they've only let her wear her hair natural for like...one episode lol. Meh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, do we know why?

He's the highest-profile actor in the main cast, and his wife was also a series regular, so it added up pretty quickly. Legends as a show is EXTREMELY budget-sensitive because their conceit requires a ton of money being spent on period costumes and sets (whereas most other Arrowverse shows get a ton of mileage out of the same outfits and sets to save money, like CC Jitters), so when the time came to cut the budget they dropped the most expensive actor from the cast. Courtney Ford was let go as well because her arc wouldn't really make sense without him, and moreover it would probably be pretty weird for her to stick around on a show her husband was just fired from.

Are CW shows drying up due to trying to move potential shows to HBOMax?

Supergirl is ending because its ratings were in freefall. Combine that with COVID making the whole "move to Vancouver and shoot for four to six months" thing unviable and Benoist having her first baby and it was basically a mutual decision on all sides.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for Diggle Green Arrow series.

But CW DC TV just isn't what it used to be even though Legends of Tomorrow is the only thing I watch on there

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are CW shows drying up due to trying to move potential shows to HBOMax?
Combination of factors. Part of it is Bertlanti having an increased focus on HBO Max instead, yes, which is good because it will allow for better (or at least higher budget) shows.

Another part is that all of the DC CW shows have long been eroding. The ratings have been going down across the board, and even though CW is a little more lenient with having lower ratings, there still comes a point where not enough people are watching to justify the costs.

I would guess 2 - 3 years before there's no DC shows on CW at all, unless one of the new ones (like Superman and Lois) really take off in a bigger way. Of course, the problem is what happens to CW as a network once that happens?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I just wonder how much longer The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow will continue to go on because once those begins to fade away, it's gonna be real weird for the "Arrowverse." I also wonder who the main focus will be post-Flash because at this point, is there even an argument that can say he isn't the focus of the "Arrowverse" at the moment?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
With BL gone, I would've rather have gotten a Thunder (and Lightning) spinoff over Painkiller and he's one of my favorites on BL. Batwoman has a black lead now but I just don't see it being as 'black' as BL was - both socially and culturally. Seeing Jeff's daughters wearing bonnets, their hair half-done while they were getting it braided, and stuff was special to me as a black woman. The Flash has Iris but they barely allow her to be black - something Candice Patton has spoken up against and so far they've only let her wear her hair natural for like...one episode lol. Meh.
When the Painkiller spin-off news broke, it seemed highly unlikely that Lightning would be part of it. But now that we know BL is ending? I can see her sticking around for it. I dunno though, she's been the more prominent of the two characters, so you'd think she'd be the main bill if she were to be in a spin-off. Like you'd expect the show to be called Lightning & Painkiller instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder how much longer The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow will continue to go on because once those begins to fade away, it's gonna be real weird for the "Arrowverse." I also wonder who the main focus will be post-Flash because at this point, is there even an argument that can say he isn't the focus of the "Arrowverse" at the moment?

Yeah. Unless Superman and Lois takes off in a big way, once the Flash ends, the Arrowverse will crumble pretty much immediately.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
The Arrowverse has had one hell of a run thus far. As fans, it's crazy to see what they pulled off all these years later. But, nothing lasts forever in TV & eventually the well was gonna run dry. We'll see how long Batwoman and Superman & Lois can make it.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if Grant moved on after the upcoming season.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Arrowverse has had one hell of a run thus far. As fans, it's crazy to see what they pulled off all these years later. But, nothing lasts forever in TV & eventually the well was gonna run dry. We'll see how long Batwoman and Superman & Lois can make it.
Superman is its last gasp IMO. It's basically entirely on that show's shoulders if this whole endeavor has another 5 years of life left in it, or more like 2 - 3.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I diligently watched these CW shows back when it was Arrow+Flash+Legends (plus Agents of Shield and the Netflix Marvel shows). But S3 of Flash was so awful, Arrow had never quite gotten back to its peak in S2 (sorry S5 fans, I hated the Team arrow crap), and I tapped out. These shows all had the potential to be fantastic if they would just shorten the episode counts. 24 episode seasons are just insane (I know BL has shorter seasons, or at least it did at the start), especially when in the end maybe 10 of them actually matter to the overall season story.

Has there been anything since then that you all would recommend coming back for?