• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Would this mean by fall 2020 it would be noticeably cheaper? (Using his guess on price).

I have no clue how this works, but one would think that MS/Sony would pay the price that they negotiated when they ordered the material and not the price that potentially changes after a couple months, no? Don't think this would make any difference, especially not a noticeably one.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You haven't followed the news recently? Scarlett is pretty much confirmed to have a 12 tflops rdna gpu. By Phil himself. Df confirmed it just a couple of days ago after gamespot reported it.

From what I recall, MS never gave explicit TF figure to any outlet. Their assertion has always been in terms of performance multiplier. Per DF, A 5700XT (~9.7TF) running at its usual clock (albeit it paired with a significantly better CPU was revealed to have 2x real world performance compared to X's GPU.

Now, taking into the account that both next gen platforms are said to be using "big navi gpu" aka NOT 5700XT but some form of better and far more manufacturer centric customized solution as well as Kleegamefan public assertion that both of them possess double digit TF (presumably RDNA) figures, it stands to reason that they are at least 10TF.

Also, in that same thread, there was a post by anexanhume that estimated the clock speed for a specified no. of CUs in the potentially next Series X's GPU which equated to around 12.083TF (IIRC). This post was responded to by Kleegamefan with a simple, "Bingo".

So, all in all, speculation-wise, Series X is around 83GFlops over 12TF mark. However, setting aside the speculation, there is nothing on PS5 to claim 12+ TF figure for it (well both of them) is set in stone.

It is for this reason I was curious as to whether you had come across any new concrete information that would conclusively put both consoles in specifically to 12+ TF camp.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Usman Pirzada was one of the only people to correctly leak Navi information about its new architecture, design etc. already back in june 2018 so he is one of the most reliable sources on the topic, so please dont turn this into "lol wccftech".
back at a november 2018 article, where he was talking about the 40 compute unit die that is powering the 5700 and the 5700XT (again correctly leaking details on the first AMD Navi GPU), has has stated that this GPU will not be the one used on the PlayStation 5.

Now he has come again with this new article, detailing a GPU that passed certification, he explains how you can decode the certification number to figure out that this GPU is indeed of the Navi family and is significantly more powerful than "small" navi die. Of course, this big Navi die, at least the desktop, is going to be more powerful than the desktop parts.

Now here is the interesting part:

Very exciting stuff! And considering he has a strong record of AMD Navi information, probably rather trustworthy too. Does this mean the PS5 or Scarlett's GPU will be stronger than the 5700XT? well not necessarily, it depends on the clock speeds of those consoles, but this does paint a very bright image for this upcoming generation.

Modiz the true goat!!

Now we can put all that silly PS5
has 36CU/8TFs speculation to rest.

Little by little, all the pieces of the puzzle are falling in to place for an incredible next gen machine!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not sure why - we have proven countless times over the years that half refresh rate with NV is perfect. Quite literally perfect. Something is wrong with your Set up I think.
Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

do I need to use NVidia half refresh alongside rtss or just NVidia half refresh rate? RTSS frame cap often has bad frame pacing despite having headroom.

I have an RTX 2080 and a Ryzen 2600 OC'd to 4 GHZ.

I don't notice frame pacing issues at higher frame rates so I'm skeptical my system is borked. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how I'm supposed to utilize them. I always thought it was one or the other.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

do I need to use NVidia half refresh alongside rtss or just NVidia half refresh rate? RTSS frame cap often has bad frame pacing despite having headroom.

I have an RTX 2080 and a Ryzen 2600 OC'd to 4 GHZ.

I don't notice frame pacing issues at higher frame rates so I'm skeptical my system is borked. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how I'm supposed to utilize them. I always thought it was one or the other.
You have to use half refresh rate by itself.
It quite literally is perfect though, there is no way it cannot work incorrectly as it is driver Vsync - not some fiddly Software one that can have Problems.
Direct commmunicati8n between gpu and Monitor basically.

Do not use half refresh rate and rtss at the same time.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You have to use half refresh rate by itself.
It quite literally is perfect though, there is no way it cannot work incorrectly as it is driver Vsync - not some fiddly Software one that can have Problems.
Direct commmunicati8n between gpu and Monitor basically.

Do not use half refresh rate and rtss at the same time.
Ok cool, so never actually tried NVidia half refresh rate and only ever used half refresh in games or RTSS. You are right. It looks really smooth comparatively to in game options or rtss.

just tried it out with Control at 1440 and all features maxed out with ray tracing. It does indeed have better frame pacing with the NVidia method. Good to know for the future!

I wonder why in game options are so shoddy.