• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Oh, so I am still above these next gen console as far as GPU wise? I got a RTX 2080 Super.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so I am still above these next gen console as far as GPU wise? I got a RTX 2080 Super.
you should be fine. but remember most next gen aaa games will be 30 fps. you will need a much more powerful cpu and gpu to get those extra 30 fps.

unless of course you are fine with 30 fps games on pc.
it will be very interesting to see how 2080 cards handle early to mid gen games at 60 fps. will we need 16 core 32 thread cpus to hit 60 fps?

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think we should try to hold off speculating on what retail "big navi" cards are going to look like until we get some more specs. I think the natural thing to ask is whether or not it's going to compete with 2080/super/ti but so far it seems like AMD just isn't targeting the high end for the time being. The 5000 series just seems like they're just setting a baseline on what their new architecture can do, but I just don't really know if a $1000 card to compete with nVidia's is in their strategy.

I'm more excited about nextgen consoles using RDNA2 in general, tbh. At least at the moment. Hopefully more specs and details are on the way about more RDNA2 chips/cards so we can get a better idea of what we're looking at. I'm eager to see what's different between RDNA1 and 2.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
you should be fine. but remember most next gen aaa games will be 30 fps. you will need a much more powerful cpu and gpu to get those extra 30 fps.

unless of course you are fine with 30 fps games on pc. i would rather slit my wrists than lock the fps to 30.

it will be very interesting to see how 2080 cards handle early to mid gen games at 60 fps. will we need 16 core 32 thread cpus to hit 60 fps?

God, I hope not. I just got a i9-9900KF Processor. I want my rig to last until the 10th gen.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Getting more and more anxious that my base 2080 will not run next gen games at 60fps 1440p

astro

Oct 25, 2017

unless of course you are fine with 30 fps games on pc. i would rather slit my wrists than lock the fps to 30.

A 2080 is going to be absolutely fine, lol.

Getting more and more anxious that my base 2080 will not run next gen games at 60fps 1440p

Don't be.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017

that's a good thing. that means that nvidia has to be much more aggressive with price/performance for their next cards and maybe we get another gen like pascal cards. I expect the mid range 3060 series card to perform like a 2080 for a third of the price. I think we will get that otherwise pc gaming will be in a bad place relative to consoles. 2060 performed like a 1080, it's not outlandish, it was just $100 too expensive at $350. Then 3070/3080 need to be like 30/50 percent better than a 2080 with more VRAM as well while costing less.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I want a BIG amd apu for my next pc! I had high hopes for the last round but they came up a little short to forgo a card.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Biggest problem with 30 FPS on PC is that is seems like devs don't work very hard to mitigate frame time stutter at 30. Almost every game I've tried "locked at 30" still seemingly has frame pacing issues.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
But people told me that Tflops on PC are not the same on console, why people are saying that next gen is gonna be similar to a 2080ti?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
dont trust the numbers nvidia gives. they use very low base and even boost clocks to derive their tflops numbers. i have never seen my games run at those clocks. they listed 1.3 ghz as a base clock for the 2080 ti, its laughable.
  • my rtx 2080 is 11.4 tflops during game since it runs at 1.95 ghz almost all the time.
  • navi tflops are only 10% behing turing tflops. so a 12 tflops navi gpu should be the same as a rtx 2080.
  • 2080 super at 1.95 ghz shouls be 11.98 tflops but it has a lot more rt cores. you will need a 13-14 tflops navi gpu to match its performance.
  • 2080 ti should be 17 tflops at those clocks. even if we assume rdna 2.0 matches turing tflops, we still need a 17 tflops gpu which is simply not going to happen.
Flying spaghetti monster forbid people go off fp32 numbers

Oct 27, 2017
I find it amusing all this back and forth about just how powerful these chips might be .

Even at their most basic performance levels, they are way beyond the ancient Jaguar CPUs of the current generation.

Coupled with the much more modern RAM and NVmE storage, these are both going to be markedly and noticeably 'next generation" machines.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how these consoles can still be sold for around $500 when they apparently have parts in that would cost $500 on their own.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how these consoles can still be sold for around $500 when they apparently have parts in that would cost $500 on their own.
Parts that cost $500 in shops do not cost $500 to be made. "Total" is price of all components, "MP" is price in shops:
uzkPJ50.png

Console makers are directly purchasing components from manufacturers, and putting all those components into a final product that is sold for a minimal [of any] profit. That way, the console can get ~$150 [Zen2+GPU]APU straight from TSMC that is equivalent of a very powerful PC.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

You do understand that consumer parts' prices could be get risen to an unlimited roof if the manufacturer want it because they aren't meant to be sold for the grand mass and they produce so many different chips each year that can guarantee their gains that way but with console manufacurer, they get instant gain as soon as the deal starts because they start producing those same parts by many millions and they are sure to be sold throughout an entire generation, so they basically sell them with near their manufacturing prices and not the consumer prices.
Do you think that those fancy really cost over 1200 bucks to produce? Obviously not, just like those hardware parts.
If the hardware manufacturers are so sure that users will get their parts by millions like for consoles, they would have sold them with that price.

You get a decent discount if you commit to buying ~20m of a part.
Parts that cost $500 in shops do not cost $500 to be made. "Total" is price of all components, "MP" is price in shops:
uzkPJ50.png

Console makers are directly purchasing components from manufacturers, and putting all those components into a final product that is sold for a minimal [of any] profit. That way, the console can get ~$150 [Zen2+GPU]APU straight from TSMC that is equivalent of a very powerful PC.

Exactly.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018

what is this nonsense. An rtx 2080 will run next gen games at 60fps just fine.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is this nonsense. An rtx 2080 will run next gen games at 60fps just fine.
You can play any game at 60 fps if you turn down the settings and resolution enough.

But if a game is designed to be 30 fps on a gpu roughly just as powerful, you are going tio need a more powerful gpu to play it on the same settings and res at 60 fps.