• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, that series was lightning in a bottle. Timm and Dini were at the top of their game, as was everyone else who worked on it. You'd need a really amazing creative team to make it work.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I've got doubts this can live up to the original. Depends entirely on who they've got making it.

I'd rather see that No Man's Land cartoon that got passed up for Beware the Batman.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Just make more Batman Beyond episodes. Find a way to retcon that stupid JL epilogue episode.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom how they'd be able to recapture the magic

it would require some insanely talented writers and a massive budget that I don't see an animated project receiving in 2021

BUT... if they could pull it off...

that would be hype

OP
OP
Sargerus

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got doubts this can live up to the original. Depends entirely on who they've got making it.

I'd rather see that No Man's Land cartoon that got passed up for Beware the Batman.
I was so disappointed when i learned that was cancelled. NML is my favorite Batman arc of all time.
batman__no_man_s_land_pitch_piece_by_spawnofsprang_d796a4m-pre.jpg

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Only must-have for me is Conroy - any other Batman is fake and you can't convince me otherwise.

Hamill would be nice but I can live with another VA doing the Joker.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I want a bat family show. One that includes his daughters
While this should ultimately be the end goal, I'm not sure you can pull off that big of an ensemble cast or if no where.

Using TAS as a base, however, would be a good way to already have established personalities to work off of (and TNBA already will have done a lot of the work there)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Please leave fond memories in the past where they belong.
TV is way better today. So is animation. TAS was amazing, but it was also an exception at the time.

With a great showrunner and good writers, this could be amazing.

Don't let nostalgia blind you.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they were to completely retcon out of what Batman Beyond (and 2.0) established, no thanks.
What I mean is ('cause I love Batman Beyond) is how the Bat family completely falls apart, with pretty much no reconciling. I don't want to watch that.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Considering the creepy Batgirl fucking and other creepy stuff, i don't think i want the original creators near batman anymore =/

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
While this should ultimately be the end goal, I'm not sure you can pull off that big of an ensemble cast or if no where.

Using TAS as a base, however, would be a good way to already have established personalities to work off of (and TNBA already will have done a lot of the work there)
Remove the older robins then, I'd rather they focus on parts of his fam that hardly get the spotlight. Well, they don't need to be removed, just relegated to guests, as they do their own thing.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
They got the og team for that, right?

It has the same voice cast, but practically the entire creative team (other than Spielberg and the theme composer) is different.

And they nailed it.

I actually think having different people is better for long term comebacks like this. I know it's easy to get attached to particular creatives, but it's much more likely they'll be too focused on catching the lightning in the bottle and repeating their old personal success. Animaniacs's new season at no point feels like a retread, or some desperate act to copy old stuff, and I think that's because it has a different creative team.

All you need are people who are passionate for the project and know how to understand the core of the series but keep to doing new stuff in that series.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TV is way better today. So is animation. TAS was amazing, but it was also an exception at the time.

With a great showrunner and good writers, this could be amazing.

Don't let nostalgia blind you.

Yes, every show can be good as long as the people involved are talented. I just don't think there's anything about B:TAS that was so lacking that it needs some kind of continuation at the expense of new takes on Batman.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Dini is already involved in the current comic sequel to the series and it's pretty good so i doubt he'd have any issues coming back for another series.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not sure I'm interested. Even TNBA lost some of the magic from the original, and that was at least in the same decade. BTAS works so well because of the landscape it was produced in, as much as the creators themselves; the animation studios they could rely on, the paucity of "serious" superhero adaptations. I can't imagine a revival that gets the job done.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't be into another Timm-headed superhero cartoon - GLTAS was great. Even another one focused on Batman. But I'd leave the DCAU proper dead and buried at this point.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I will watch this no matter how good or bad it is, but I am reallllllly hoping they don't mess it up. This is my childhood we're talking about, lol.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Where's my Superman The Animated Series sequel. Also no Bruce x Barb please.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
If it isn't animated by TMS, my enthusiasm will be really low. All that WB stuff in the 90s was mostly animated by them. Also for the love of God bring Paul Dini back to write episodes.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I would like them to do something different from what was already done in past incarnations.

I still want it to be serious but they could craft in different ways from what the old show was like.

For example they could expand on the citizens of Gotham's relationship to Batman. They could have individual episodes set up an individual citizen's preconception of who Batman is and we see a day in their life as Batman and the various rogues influence their life. The b plot for each episode could be a macro level view of this interaction as various leaders discuss and plan how to restructure this city so they don't have a need for Batman or are so corrupt they are trying to get him out of the way or both. Either way all these b plot events could lead to a major season ending set of episodes that focuses on the execution of their plans and how Batman his allies and the villains react to them.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
BTAS is basically my favorite incarnation of Batman at this point, but I'm with others that thinks it's better to do some sort of spiritual successor than attempt to revive it full on to make a sequel. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from what that DCAU did right with Batman and the Justice League, and I would rather they take a long look trying to figure that out rather than attempt to recapture the magic of that era.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they do this in TAS? I don't remember that. The killing joke wasn't TAS based was it?

Killing Joke might as well be because Bruce Timm had a hand in it.

Bruce Timm is the one who seemingly keeps pushing for Bruce and Barbra to be a thing

tumblr_oljtrkMpJT1u7pevso1_1280.jpg

This is from the Batman Beyond comic explaining why Dick hates Bruce.

If he is involved, he is gonna push for the "Bruce and Barb get together while cheating on Dick" thing

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the Harley Quinn fart jokes and Bruce having sex with Barbara

That fart joke was disgusting and makes me gag just thinking about it.

it didn't even feel true to Batman—Batman should've put on a ventilator mask off-screen, chastise Nightwing for being prepared for anything like he taught him