• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES Sequel Reportedly In Development For HBO Max

Batman: The Animated Series is rightly considered a classic, but reliable sources are now reporting that a sequel of some sort is currently in development for HBO Max. Find out more details after the jump!

The news was shared on Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast when co-host Marc Bernardin shared a rumour that "HBO Max is looking at making a Batman: The Animated Series sequel that they want to continue that forward." Smith would add to this point, noting that, "I'm not involved, but I too have heard this and I've heard this from very reliable people."

Lock if old.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fucking awesome. That said it would really need the original cast. Conroy is certainly on board, but Mark Hamill has said he doesn't want to do Joker anymore.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please leave fond memories in the past where they belong.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't obvious that the 20s were going to be for the 90s what the 10s were for the 80s, you haven't been paying attention.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Didn't I hear that Dini and Timm were absolutely done with this universe? Will be interesting to see, if this rumor is true.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm guessing they would adapt The Adventure Continues comics for this (since they got Dini & Burnett to write it).

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Can we go back to the bolder artstyle this time around instead of the blockier one from the last season which was subsequently used for Justice League and almost everything else since then

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe make it post-JL but pre-Beyond, fill in the gap with what happened with a lot of Batman's rogues before Beyond.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd much rather see more Batman Beyond to be honest. Continuing TAS creates potentially weird continuity issues with Justice League and Beyond if they don't do it right.

I'm not sure if they could recreate the TAS magic, but I'd give it a go if they try.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
While I would prefer Hamill, the person who impersonated him in that one Arkham game did a great job if they could get him back.

Conroy, however, isn't negotiable.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I just noticed the original series was on there and thought about watching it. Loved that show as a kid. Probably still have the vhs tapes somewhere lol.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Based on the DC Animated Movies look and feel, I feel like the animation would (likely) be a step down, but we'll see.

Has anyone been reading the sequel comic, Batman: The Adventures Continue? Any good?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is a lot that could go wrong with a project like this. TAS was quite special when it came to it's animation, music and writing. You need a banger team for a sequel.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how they are going to handle this considering there were already several sequels to Batman TAS from the larger scope that included Bats in the Justice League to a direct sequel in Batman Beyond. Unless this is more a spiritual successor to the original series rather than a direct sequel.

It's going to incredibly hard for whoever scores this. They've got some absolutely gargantuan shoes to fill thanks to the late Shirley Walker. Her musical contributions were one of the defining aspects of the iconic series.

OP
OP
Sargerus

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't HBO it up and I'm on board, we don't need to see Batman fucking.
Monkey-Puppet%20Lookin-1543627124994.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Batman has gone full "Bruce Wayne is the actual mask" since TAS, which TAS toyed with but never was. I wonder if this would be closer in interpretation to TAS or to the more edgy Batmans of the modern era.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we have both Justice League and Batman Beyond as sequels? Maybe they want it to feel like TAS but just make another series at that point to leave that continuity alone.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, we'll get to see Batman-Barbara ship animated in all it's creepy glory.

I'm a big fan of TAS, but I don't want it to come back. I'm so cynical about companies relying on nostalgia at this point, and I hate how hesitant they are to give new series. Bruce Timm had his time in the sun, he made his run and it was glorious. If he still wants to keep working, I'd rather have him working on something new. My current dream animated series is one with the entire Batman family, like all of them including Damian and even Harper Row, and the series being about their family dynamic. Or why not expand to other heroes. We never had a Wonder Woman TAS, why not greenlight that?

At this point, I straight up resent how companies go after our nostalgia so much that I'm salty about it even when it's catered towards me. I want new stuff. I want other heroes to get the love Batman gets and Superman get. Marvel succeeds because it doesn't let itself overly focus on just it's top heroes, but all of them. The only DC property that seems to do that is Young Justice, and it's fantastic, but I want MORE of that.

Jan 27, 2019
As much as I'd like to see this, probably best t leave it. Make a Wonder Woman animated series instead or continue the excellent Green Lantern animated series