• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mosdl

Oct 27, 2017
scenery/tone wise it can work if they embellish it a bit. i found the nordic architecture on Vikings (the show) interesting though it's probably not 1:1 accurate

but yeah probably not much mileage there in the "virtual tourism" aspect like Unity, Origins, ect

I found most of the cities in Origins/Odyssey to not be as touristy as previous games, I felt like you didn't spend enough time in any City to get to know it well compared to say London in Syndicate.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying there's not another Assassin's Creed game in development right now. What about Far Cry? What are The Crew team or Reflections up to? Are you saying that the 3500 staff at Ubisoft Montreal are just working on supporting live service games? Do you not see how this seems quite ridiculous when by headcount Ubi are the largest videogame publisher in the world, they're always quick to jump on new hardware which is due in 12 months and as far as I recall they only have about 5 announced-but-unreleased games out there right now?

It's really my fault for arrogantly thinking that I can drop that information without also providing the proof as to why I know,
I thought it would look cool to just drop an insider bomb and walk away but I understand why people are skeptical.
But It's not something I can share openly so if a mod can get in contact with me then I'll be happy to corroborate and provide more info for the verification,etc.
but I won't be replying to this thread anymore.

Let's take this a step further.

jschreier's article about the next Assassin's Creed, coming in 2020. There's one way I'd believe you, and that was if the game got canceled as a result of their Q2 financials. But as of April, this game was a Fall 2020 title. It'd be a bombshell if it were canceled, but you're claiming it was straight up never in development?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they keep the Male Female choice, and also make it a stable for like 2 romance options, 1 male 1 female available to both MC's fully fleshed out and integral to the the story. Way better than 20 one night stands.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
If I read the OP link, it's not so much a 'rumour' but more like 'speculation'.

The only thing their source confirms is the title 'Ragnarok' and even that has a qualifier. The summary about story, naval and mechanics aren't leaks but musings of the author.

But hey, it's AC. I'll be there with bells on.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much GoW 2018 is gonna hurt this game's novelty factor.

Zero percent.

I'm actually playing through GoW right now, as in literally just exited the game, after having just finished AC Odyssey, and I can't for the life of me figure out the GoW comments in this thread. The gameplay between these franchises isn't remotely similar, the worlds aren't remotely similar and the historical vs fantasy narrative aren't remotely similar.

God of War doesn't even have Vikings and is set completely in Norse mythology long before Vikings even existed. Any AC Viking game is going to be historically accurate with real people set in this timeline, with a smattering of sci fi and mythology tossed in for flavor.

The two games will have as much in common as Sekiro and Yakuza.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
yes, I wish people would stop comparing GOW to what AC will do....

completely different focus altogether, the games will feel very different, just as Skyrim Doesnt remind me of GOW and vica versa.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Zero percent.

I'm actually playing through GoW right now, as in literally just exited the game, after having just finished AC Odyssey, and I can't for the life of me figure out the GoW comments in this thread. The gameplay between these franchises isn't remotely similar, the worlds aren't remotely similar and the historical vs fantasy narrative aren't remotely similar.

God of War doesn't even have Vikings and is set completely in Norse mythology long before Vikings even existed. Any AC Viking game is going to be historically accurate with real people set in this timeline, with a smattering of sci fi and mythology tossed in for flavor.

The two games will have as much in common as Sekiro and Yakuza.

Bang on imo. GoW is 'small' in a sense: I only got halfway or so but there's very few people in it, it's clearly a game of mythology and figures. AC is about myth but it's also about 'Real World' stuff: all the NPCs and towns and animals and details designed to give the world a 'lived in' feel.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was not being malicious. I am just stating from the information I have right now (which I can show to the proper people) that there is no such game being ACTIVELY developed or produced right now at Ubi, that was it.

And why exactly should that be strange for Ubisoft, every team they have is either working on an ongoing live service game, an announced game, and the announced delayed games. They have so many games in the ether right now.
This is false on both counts. AC Kingdom is in active development, as are plenty of unannounced Ubisoft games. ACK will be out next fall, as I've reported.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stop, none of this is true.
Believe me, Ubisoft only has one unannounced game in development right now and its definitely not AC.
This could not be any further from the truth. There are a number of unannounced Ubisoft games in production, and even more in preproduction/prototyping phases.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ass Creed is slowly turning into an action RPG franchise and I couldn't be happier about it.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Sounds good and all but I want actual gods featured and not that VR simulation crap in Odyssey Ubi sells as DLC. How do you make the fall of Atlantis lame after gating it behind a paywall?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I need to win a lottery so I could pay them to make at least one LINEAR spin-off where you would be an assassin, sneaking and killing targets.

Lol, it's a bit absurd that I dream about ASSASSIN'S Creed game to be sneaky game about assassinations like it's some crazy idea.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
This is without a doubt my most anticipated game right now, next to Elden Ring.

I never really liked AC much, but Origins absolutely blew me away. Having the Origins team making a fucking Viking game is like my dream come true.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My prediction for the Modern Day:
Layla will fail to stop the end of the world in Ragnarok, thus resulting in rebooting the entire AC universe (somehow) calling it now. By doing this, Ubisoft will now give people what they've wanted for 10 years. An Asian AC setting not tied by any previous lore that came before it. They'll call it ... Assassin's Creed. Release only on PS5 and Scarlett, 2021/2022.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Origins, as well as odyssey are possibly two of my favorite rpg experiences of the generation. I am in day one for this game (on ps5 or scarlett) if its more of what those games are. Given how amazing those two games can look, im willing to bet that this game will be one of the next gen show pieces at launch

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Stop, none of this is true.
Believe me, Ubisoft only has one unannounced game in development right now and its definitely not AC.
Even if Schrier didn't come in here and wipe away any validity to your statement, who in the ever-living fuck would be dumb enough to believe this? It's Ubisoft. Just stop.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could not be any further from the truth. There are a number of unannounced Ubisoft games in production, and even more in preproduction/prototyping phases.

have you heard anything about beyond good and evil 2 that you can share? I kind of assumed it would come out next holiday as a next gen launch title. But i wonder if the delays of gods and monsters, quarantine, and watchdogs 3 moved that back even further

Dec 2, 2017
Everything in that leak sounds plausible except maybe the degree of involvement of the gods, but then they do always go for recognizable figures. For all their popularity the Vikings have few.

I would have preferred for them to finish an ancient world trilogy with Rome, but they already did Julius Caesar in Origins and the world might have seemed too similar to Odyssey. But seeing what the assassins were up to during the fall of Rome would have been cool.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This feels ill-timed after God of War. They really can't just make the feudal Japan AC game everyone wants, can they?
Can't they make what THEY want to make, what inspire them??? I much prefer something the team love than something they feel obliged to do just because of the fans

May 13, 2018
hope it's less like Odyssey and more like Origins. I loved both games, but Odyssey's world and content was mostly copy and pasted and felt like it was just put together. Lacked a lot of detail that Origins had.

Dec 2, 2017
Ubisoft definitely waited too long to do feudal Japan. Tsushima especially seems like it would cover the setting in an AC-kinda way.

It would be a waste if they did Japan and you didn't play as a ninja. They didn't exist during the time Tsushima is set for in.

If they did Japan they would 100% do Sengoku Jidai, set it on a national scale, and have conquest battles between daimyo. It would be a different setup than Tsushima.

I feel like they're holding off on that one 1) because it's too obvious, and 2) they should save it for later down the line when the technology can truly do it justice.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the setting almost sounds like The Last Kingdom and i'm sooooooo in for that. let me tear ass in northumbria and mercia pls thanks

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't like anything though.

I would rather the main character of my assassin game not be a screaming brute with an axe. It's becoming increasingly difficult to take these protagonists seriously when none of them are in any way equipped to be stealthy.

Like if you want to make an RPG series set at various points in history just drop the assassin concept or spin off into an entirely new franchise. There's no logical reason for a VIKING to be a stealth assassin.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you reframe that equally in response to Sekiro, Nioh, and the upcoming Sucker Punch feudal Japan game had they gone that direction?

I don't think it has anything really in common with Sekiro or Nioh, no. The SETTING isn't the problem as much as the FRAMEWORK.

You could potentially argue there's some overlap with Tsushima, yes, but I would imagine this game is going to come out before Tsushima does.

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather the main character of my assassin game not be a screaming brute with an axe. It's becoming increasingly difficult to take these protagonists seriously when none of them are in any way equipped to be stealthy.

Like if you want to make an RPG series set at various points in history just drop the assassin concept or spin off into an entirely new franchise. There's no logical reason for a VIKING to be a stealth assassin.

I mean, if you're really looking for proper stealth then this is the wrong series. I don't think it's ever been about proper stealth. The first games made a token effort with their 'social stealth' mechanics but even then it was shallow and more about cool action, and since then the stealth aspects have faded more and more into the background.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you're really looking for proper stealth then this is the wrong series. I don't think it's ever been about proper stealth. The first games made a token effort with their 'social stealth' mechanics but even then it was shallow and more about cool action, and since then the stealth aspects have faded more and more into the background.

Which is a shame considering how miserably janky the actual combat is in Origins and especially Odyssey. I wish they'd cool it the fuck off with the scale of their maps (did Odyssey really need like three entire regions that you NEVER GO TO during the main story?) and put some more effort into polishing the core mechanics.

Make stealth viable again, make combat less janky, and calm the hell down with the mercenary mechanics.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

When has this series ever been about real, proper stealth? Idk, I'm all about this setting.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on a AAA studio to develop an open world with african gods or folk tales with characters like Anasi. Also the protagonist would be a black male or female, But the gaming world ain't ready for that. I guess they'll just make multiple variations on norse mythology and japanese yokai until they get bored.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to see what this game looks like on next-gen.

I still remember being blown away by Black Flag on release as it was the first game I bought with my OG Xbone.

That water!! The shanties!!

Ubisoft are great supporters of new platforms and they'll totally have Ragnarok looking absolutely stunning on both new consoles.

I hope the February reveal is true as it means not too long to wait before we get our first proper look at next gen. Things like TLOU2 can't have been shown on PS5 benchmarked tech because that would basically be false advertising. Showing off a game to sell current gen products using tech that those settings current gen cannot achieve.

Sony are going to have some other stuff to show which should look amazing.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
according to steam, I have over 100 hours logged in Origins and over 300 in Odyssey, so yes, I will be in on this :)

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting on a AAA studio to develop an open world with african gods or folk tales with characters like Anasi. Also the protagonist would be a black male or female, But the gaming world ain't ready for that. I guess they'll just make multiple variations on norse mythology and japanese yokai until they get bored.

Origins is literally based in Africa, starring a black protagonist.