• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird to not finish off the obvious Egypt > Greece > Rome progression.

I would have almost bet money that Rome would have been next.

I am all for Vikings but Rome should be first. The rumours were Egypt, Greece then Rome. When Egypt and Greece were announced I thought Rome would happen too.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Greek and Egypt had cities with monuments etc. Scandinavia only had some trading towns. I wonder how they'll make an interesting overworld.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
this has to be the easiest game to concoct "leaks" for given that it's an vikings/nordic asscreed. everything pretty much spells itself out

i don't buy the OP 'leak' on virtue of naval warfare not being a massive fucking part of an AC vikings game

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Thank fuck it won't be Feudal Japan. Those times don't interest me at all. But love me some cold-ass Scandinavian nights.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China would have been perfect. It would have been so perfect.

Especially during the Shi Huang Ti era, an emperor that managed to unify China, but was paranoid and finding ways to live forever. There's so much content in that era, various different landtypes, cultures, etc.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
This doesn't sound appealing to me personally.
I miss old AC a bit, with a focus on a central massive city, emphasis on parkour/climbing and carefully executed set piece assassinations.

I've mostly enjoyed the wide open scale of newer AC's but I'd like to see a return to series roots on a next gen scale in the future.
Like three or four massive cities on the scale of Paris from Unity.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Greek and Egypt had cities with monuments etc. Scandinavia only had some trading towns. I wonder how they'll make an interesting overworld.

"world map" will probably be a simulacrum of nordic europe + England and perhaps some Germany. lots of material there though a lot of the historicity (not just in locales but the personalities) will probably be extrapolated on. it'll probably be the least "accurate" AC to date

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
Ok, I will throw you guys a bone.
The only unannounced game in development at Ubisoft right now is codenamed "AGOS"

And if I tell you how I have that information, I can get fired. Take the hint.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't see how they will make parkour relevant at all. They already made it boring in Origins and Odyssey and now we won't have proper cities and focus will move to climbing mountains. Watching same animation while descending cliffside in Origins and Odyssey was awful. Climbing wasn't better either.

Also based on setting melee will be focus and based on rumors gameplay will be more-less the same as Origins/Odyssey. That is also disappointing.

All in all I can't get excited for AC game unless they move it back to modern times with proper cities. But they won't do that because it doesn't fit with current RPG focused gameplay. It would require far more work to do proper questing in that kind of environment because they wouldn't be able to use outposts and camps as main gameplay loop.

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
And if you don't verify with a mod you can get banned.

It's almost impossible that a company like Ubisoft has only one unannounced game right now.
Do I pm someone? Is there an application of sorts?

And I didn't mean to stand above everybody like that, apologies.
Keep in mind that I'm talking about games in active development at Ubi, if there is an AC being worked on then it's most likely in pre-pre-production.
As I have not picked up any news/documents on it and so have my sources.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I am so goddamn ready for this game, been replaying M&B: Viking Conquest out of anticipation lately.

Odyssey was my fav game of 2018 after GoW and Norse is literally the only setting more exciting for me than feudal Japan.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Keep in mind that I'm talking about games in active development at Ubi, if there is an AC being worked on then it's most likely in pre-pre-production.

Origins team is working on AC game more-less since they shipped Origins. It is possible that Darby McDevitt is back as narrative director and Ashraf is for sure back as game director. So pleas don't spread nonsense.

Not to mention that last week bunch of AC fansite owners and super fans in general were in Montreal for a whole week. Just like they were for Origins and I think Odyssey months before announcement.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

No idea, maybe someone tag a mod here to contact you.

Anyway it's just that it would be really weird for Ubi going from yearly releases to not having any AC under development at all.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
No idea, maybe someone tag a mod here to contact you.

Anyway it's just that it would be really weird for Ubi going from yearly releases to not having any AC under development at all.

As I said in post above there is AC game in development as are many other games. Kotaku confirmed AC game months ago. And as I said AC fansite owners were in Montreal whole last week.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this time no huge, culturally rich cities? :/ Towns/settlements of the viking age, even London, were rather small and architecturally and artistically unexciting.

This is Hedeby (in what is today Northern Germany), it was the second biggest Viking city:

DIaZyg1VYAEZkB-.jpg

They also didn't have the high buildings I associate with ACs.

Last edited:

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
Origins team is working on AC game more-less since they shipped Origins. It is possible that Darby McDevitt is back as narrative director and Ashraf is for sure back as game director. So pleas don't spread nonsense.

Not to mention that last week bunch of AC fansite owners and super fans in general were in Montreal for a whole week. Just like they were for Origins and I think Odyssey months before announcement.
This is impossible for a company the size of Ubisoft.
I was not being malicious. I am just stating from the information I have right now (which I can show to the proper people) that there is no such game being ACTIVELY developed or produced right now at Ubi, that was it.

And why exactly should that be strange for Ubisoft, every team they have is either working on an ongoing live service game, an announced game, and the announced delayed games. They have so many games in the ether right now.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I was not being malicious. I am just stating from the information I have right now (which I can show to the proper people) that there is no such game being ACTIVELY developed or produced right now at Ubi, that was it.

And why exactly should that be strange for Ubisoft, every team they have is either working on an ongoing live service game, an announced game, and the announced delayed games. They have so many games in the ether right now.

Because main teams don't work on live service support. Each live service game has smaller live service team to support it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Stop, none of this is true.
Believe me, Ubisoft only has one unannounced game in development right now and its definitely not AC.

I'll choose not to believe you then.
ubisoft in the past had up to 3 AC's in development at the same time, and Origins & Odyssey have been massive successes. It's been over a year since Odyssey came out, and the last bit of DLC content dropped months ago.

There is going to be a new AC next year, guaranteed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aye, there's no way the next AC game after Ragnarok or whatever it may be called is not in development. Absolutely no way. It'll be in pre-production for sure.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Ni-oh, Ni-oh 2, Sekiro, and soon Ghost of Tsushima all have that covered. I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting for the trend to die down so it can feel fresh again.

Well if they hadn't waited that wouldn't have been a problem. People have been pining for this since long before those games came out.

Oct 27, 2017

So you're saying there's not another Assassin's Creed game in development right now. What about Far Cry? What are The Crew team or Reflections up to? Are you saying that the 3500 staff at Ubisoft Montreal are just working on supporting live service games? Do you not see how this seems quite ridiculous when by headcount Ubi are the largest videogame publisher in the world, they're always quick to jump on new hardware which is due in 12 months and as far as I recall they only have about 5 announced-but-unreleased games out there right now?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
sounds like what i would expect from Ubisoft after Origins and Odyssey, more of the same in a new setting.
not for me at all, i don´t like the "new" Assassins Creed games, they feel like an offline MMORPG with bloated size and quests.

Origins was "ok" but Odyssey was a massive slog.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
So this time no huge, culturally rich cities? :/ Towns/settlements of the viking age, even London, were rather small and architecturally and artistically unexciting.

scenery/tone wise it can work if they embellish it a bit. i found the nordic architecture on Vikings (the show) interesting though it's probably not 1:1 accurate

but yeah probably not much mileage there in the "virtual tourism" aspect like Unity, Origins, ect

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
It's really my fault for arrogantly thinking that I can drop that information without also providing the proof as to why I know,
I thought it would look cool to just drop an insider bomb and walk away but I understand why people are skeptical.
But It's not something I can share openly so if a mod can get in contact with me then I'll be happy to corroborate and provide more info for the verification,etc.
but I won't be replying to this thread anymore.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm glad they're ending the present day story with this game. It's been a huge missed opportunity since AC3 and it really should've just ended there. I always loved it and thought it was the coolest thing about the series but they just didn't know where to take it.

I still enjoy the games and the new Origins/Odyssey take so I'll be there for this one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'm glad they're ending the present day story with this game. It's been a huge missed opportunity since AC3 and it really should've just ended there. I always loved it and thought it was the coolest thing about the series but they just didn't know where to take it.

I still enjoy the games and the new Origins/Odyssey take so I'll be there for this one.

They're not ending it at all, they're wrapping up Layla's arc (Break the Code/Node/End of the World thingy that Desmond delayed) and continuing with another modern/present day arc.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
They're not ending it at all, they're wrapping up Layla's arc (Break the Code/Node/End of the World thingy that Desmond delayed) and continuing with another modern/present day arc.
Whaaa

I need a refresher on this Layla arc because I really had no idea what the "plot" was. Unless that was explained in the Odyssey dlcs which I haven't finished yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whaaa

I need a refresher on this Layla arc because I really had no idea what the "plot" was. Unless that was explained in the Odyssey dlcs which I haven't finished yet.

In Origins, the Isu explained to Layla that Desmond didn't just save the world from the disaster, he only delayed it. The "end of the world" is still coming, That's where Layla and AC: Ragnarok comes in. I won't spoil anything for you about Odyssey's DLC's but something happens, more or less. Will leave you to play and figure it out yourself :)

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
In Origins, the Isu explained to Layla that Desmond didn't just save the world from the disaster, he only delayed it. The "end of the world" is still coming, That's where Layla and AC: Ragnarok comes in. I won't spoil anything for you about Odyssey's DLC's but something happens, more or less. Will leave you to play and figure it out yourself :)
Ah okay, thanks :)

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much GoW 2018 is gonna hurt this game's novelty factor.