• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That might have been the case once, but not anymore. How can you have Viking historical figures if the game is set 1,600 hundred years before there were any Vikings?

What's more likely, Ubisoft is ditching the historical aspect of their next AC game or that some rumor got the dates wrong? I guarantee that if the next game is about Vikings that it deals with actual history and people and isn't some fantasy GoW clone.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah of course it makes sense, a lot more potential sales, but from a graphical and technical view... I want a full next gen entry.
We'll definitely get one. I don't think this entry ever had a shot of being next gen only though, regardless of Ubi's finances.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You forgot Yakuza Ishin ;) (ok, that was Japan only, but its bloody fantastic and I'll mention it every opportunity I get). Also, we might end up with an Onimusha reboot soon (who knows what Capcom is planning) so I think that region is nicely represented for the while, as you stated above.

I wish that Sega would update the graphics of Yakuza Ishin, translate everything & port it over.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Sounds like they are going full "BioWare" with their protagonist and party system. Except you will be called Jora (your name) rather then Shepard/inquisitor/pathfinder ect

That's a really cool step forwar
Feudal Japan is just as, if lot more, overdone than Norse in games.

I still say make an Assassins Creed in 1970s New York City.

Apparently Assasin's Creed has a "No Cars" rule. So most/all of the 1900s is out. Which is a pitty because Revolutionary Russia and Prohabition Chicago would be great AC settings

Jun 23, 2019
This feels ill-timed after God of War. They really can't just make the feudal Japan AC game everyone wants, can they?

I literally had the same thought as soon as I read it. Totally sounds like they are aping off of GoW. Not saying it's a bad thing, but having the Assassin visit Asgard and other realms? Too much of a coincidence. Also, you should know why Ubisoft will never make an AC set in Japan.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I did finish Origins, but never got around to the DLC.
The season pass was on sale a few weeks back so I finally got to play through it myself after two years, lol. It took me a good minute to get reacclimated to Origins's mechanics after putting so many hours into Odyssey, but once I did, I have to say, I really enjoyed the DLC.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If this was any other game in the world I would laugh at having a Reddit source, but honestly, this is how Assassins Creed games get announced, by the most stupid leaks you can imagine.

By the way, it's not the first time that name has come up in rumours, and it was disproven:

Yeah, AC games get revealed in dumb ways all the time.

Yup, a tiny fraction of Japan obsessed gamers makes some noise about AC Japan, but it doesn't mean everybody wants it.

This is like when people argued about how no one cared about Crash on PS4 or how Monster Hunter wouldn't work if it left portable systems.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Plymouth and London aren't exactly major areas for the Vikings in the UK, i don't think Plymouth was even touched. Also they spelt Plymouth wrong

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely sounds interesting. And really, after the greatness of Origins and Odyssey, I'm in for whatever comes next.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Sounds great, there are not enough games taking place in Northern European settings.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the other thread: people keep saying this shit is over done but an AC game would be historical vikings, which really hasn't been done at all outside maybe strategy games. Going by the last couple games the mythology shit would just be an expansion pack right? I'm not up on AC lore. This would be like, Ragnar Lothbrok and the Lindsfarne massacre or something.

Same thing with Japan. How many open-world sandbox games set in historical Japan can you list?

I thought I would be tired of it too but shows like Vinland Saga, Netflix's Norsemen, and The Last Kingdom are keeping me interested. That said, I really do hope they get around to an Asian themed AC. Japan, China, Korea would all be interesting.

Exactly. What sets AC apart is it's the only AAA series doing historical drama.

On Asia, I feel like if Ubisoft chose the right time period it could make a single game set in parts of Japan, China, Korea, and southeast Asia. It could take the AC naval gameplay and apply it to Far East pirates that operated at multiple points in history, or Far East naval wars.

Lmao I can't wait for the Bronze Age viking invasions.

To be serious for a second, bronze age Europe is a whole other opportunity with unique advantages.

Archaeology shows that advanced societies existed in central and northern Europe around 800BC and in fact much earlier, they just didn't leave behind any writing. We know what they used and how they dressed, we just don't know what they called themselves. That would leave a lot of room for writers to fill in their own stories.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the mythological aspects will be handled like in recent games, i.e. there'll be a few spots on the map/in the story that'll deal with it but most of the game will be fairly grounded with maybe the DLC being a bit more based on mythology like Origins and Odyssey. It's not even set during the same period as God of War either.

Plymouth and London aren't exactly major areas for the Vikings in the UK, i don't think Plymouth was even touched. Also they spelt Plymouth wrong

They definitely were active at times in Devon & Cornwall. I know they were involved in a battle in Exeter and allied with the Cornish at one point as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Sega would update the graphics of Yakuza Ishin, translate everything & port it over.
Graphics don't need updates. Its good as is. It already runs at 60FPS, unless they move to the newer engine (which would only make the game worse) there's really nothing mechanically that needs to be done. Just localise the game and ship it! I mean, some nit picky stuff I guess I could suggest changing some of the CP requirements for 100% completion, or friend events as both are far more grindy than later games but that's a minor issue, the core gameplay is fantastic.

jrizzle

Jan 24, 2018
I cant do anymore of the rinse and repeat gameplay for 100 hours. I liked the last one for the first 30 hours but its just the same thing over and over without a story good enough to carry further.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Graphics don't need updates. Its good as is. It already runs at 60FPS, unless they move to the newer engine (which would only make the game worse) there's really nothing mechanically that needs to be done. Just localise the game and ship it! I mean, some nit picky stuff I guess I could suggest changing some of the CP requirements for 100% completion, or friend events as both are far more grindy than later games but that's a minor issue, the core gameplay is fantastic.

I agree, though the reason why I said this, is because Yakuza Ishin (or Ryū Ga Gotoku: Ishin! in Japan) was probably developed as a PS3 title & had been released on both PS3 & PS4 simultaneously back on February of 2014.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know if it's already said but I'm pretty certain they mean Plymouth, not Plimouth.

Sounds amazing and looking forward to it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
London has been around since the Roman times, and was heavily contested between the Anglo-Saxons and Danes (vikings) for much of the latter's occupation.

If you're interested, give The Last Kingdom on Netflix a watch :)
Given that Rome was only founded in 753 BC, it's pretty impressive that they conquered southern Britannia 50 years prior :^)

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Play GOW and learn the mythology.

Play this AC with some mythology knowledge.

Hopefully Ireland will be in it as well.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I said this in the other thread: people keep saying this shit is over done but an AC game would be historical vikings, which really hasn't been done at all outside maybe strategy games. Going by the last couple games the mythology shit would just be an expansion pack right? I'm not up on AC lore. This would be like, Ragnar Lothbrok and the Lindsfarne massacre or something.

Same thing with Japan. How many open-world sandbox games set in historical Japan can you list?

Exactly. What sets AC apart is it's the only AAA series doing historical drama.

On Asia, I feel like if Ubisoft chose the right time period it could make a single game set in parts of Japan, China, Korea, and southeast Asia. It could take the AC naval gameplay and apply it to Far East pirates that operated at multiple points in history, or Far East naval wars.

To be serious for a second, bronze age Europe is a whole other opportunity with unique advantages.

Archaeology shows that advanced societies existed in central and northern Europe around 800BC and in fact much earlier, they just didn't leave behind any writing. We know what they used and how they dressed, we just don't know what they called themselves. That would leave a lot of room for writers to fill in their own stories.
I know Total War is doing it now and we just did Classical Greece, but Bronze Age eastern Mediterranean during the Trojan War/Bronze Age Collapse would be a great setting.

Maybe not any time soon, but once we get through Japan, Meso-America, and Rome I'd love to see it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
If we're gonna get crazy, we need Mesoamerica at some point. Don't even have the Spanish in there. Just go full pre-contact classic period Mayans. Archaeologists and historians know a lot more about that period than most people realize.

The DLC would just be full-blown blood magic and Kulkukan and shit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Norse stuff coculd be fun if they go all in. I long to fight Ratatoskr The God of Squrriels

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we're gonna get crazy, we need Mesoamerica at some point. Don't even have the Spanish in there. Just go full pre-contact classic period Mayans. Archaeologists and historians know a lot more about that period than most people realize.

The DLC would just be full-blown blood magic and Kulkukan and shit.

A Mesoamerican setting is my pick as well. My biggest concern there is that there are just so many civilizations and regions to cover that one game simply won't be enough, even with DLC.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
A Mesoamerican setting is my pick as well. My biggest concern there is that there are just so many civilizations and regions to cover that one game simply won't be enough, even with DLC.

Right? If you look up the region and time period even a little bit it's astounding how diverse it was.

And then you have how so many other people (including Shadow of the Tomb Raider) conflate it with the Incas and other Andean civilizations even though they had no contact with Mesoamerica.