• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly I'm almost more interested in how they market and design their device rather than the device itself. An experience as bespoke as a VR headset would seem like it'd run up against a lot of Apple's aesthetic.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It would have to offer a lot, like far beyond what current headsets offer, to command that price. Unless it's some niche workplace-related product it won't be launching at $3k.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
For real. I love to see more companies tackling VR and see the new ideas and techniques they can come up with. Pimax has some 8k set, I wonder what FOV Apple will go for and if AR will play into their consideration.
I don't really buy the idea that any company tackling VR is necessarily a great thing for VR.

You just know that this is going to be the start of another Apple product line developed with an eye for culitivating a walled garden software model that would allow them to take a cut on all VR software sales in perpetuity. At least Oculus devices don't completely restrict you to the Oculus store, I doubt Apple would grant the same access.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
It's gonna be called
"The Apple of my Eyes".
Stop with your fake leaks.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
For real. I love to see more companies tackling VR and see the new ideas and techniques they can come up with. Pimax has some 8k set, I wonder what FOV Apple will go for and if AR will play into their consideration.
Pimax 8k is 1.000 euros and you get the Windows ecosystem, which is the best place for VR.

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
Apple is going to make VR cool, really the market probably needs this.

I wonder what hardware they're planning to push these bad boys.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea this wouldn't be for gaming. That resolution is way too high to get a remotely decent framerate.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if i want something that pricey attached to my face i'll just get a diamond embedded into my forehead instead

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
It's going to be called iSight.

2nd guess: Apple Vision

I doubt Apple would want any new "I" product categories. It is too much of a hassle. The Apple name carries more weight now and allows them to avoid any trademark headaches. They also usually keep it simple with "Apple _____" with the empty space being the most basic description of the category like TV or Watch.

So, I guess Apple VR would be the most basic. That said, it is mixed reality so maybe Apple Reality or something? Apple Vision doesn't sound bad.

I am more interested in the Apple Glass.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shut up and take my money.gif

/s

It will be interesting to see an Apple'fied take on a still niche (unfortunately) area, though given the price it's not targeting general consumers.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
On the one hand, this could be squarely aimed at enterprise, with an aim to bring it to general consumers when the components become cheaper.
On the other, Apple is known for intentionally leaking higher price points to gauge reaction and cushion the blow of an expensive, though not quite that expensive product. They most commonly do this when they launch a new product category, which they're doing here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be called iSight.

2nd guess: Apple Vision

568947989_HeresaTVthatlookslikeanapple..png

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Are there even small form factor 8k displays available for mass production? There are barely any 8k TVs yet even, and VR things with 4k displays are already expensive as hell.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who would even be making content for that? Knowing Apple it's not like we can just have third party solutions to get Oculus and SteamVr games running on everything like it is now, and Oculus has hoovered up a lot of the consistent VR devs. They'd need to be on a major hiring spree.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
A few possible new details:

As for the AR and VR headset coming as soon as next year, Kuo says that current prototypes currently weigh between 200 grams and 300 grams. "If Apple can successfully solve the significant technical problems, the final product weight will be reduced to 100–200 grams," he writes.

The AR and VR headset will use Sony micro-OLED displays and would have "independent computing power and storage." This means it would be able to run independent of an iPhone, and Kuo says it will be "positioned more like a portable product rather than a mobile product."

Although Apple has been focusing on AR, we think the hardware specifications of this product can provide an immersive experience that is significantly better than existing VR products. We believe that Apple may highly integrate this helmet with video-related applications (e.g., Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, etc.) asone of the key selling points.
In terms of price, Kuo says this headset is likely to b "similar to that of a high-end iPhone," potentially somewhere around $1,000. This is significantly cheaper than previous reports have suggested, but it's important to keep in mind that Kuo is a supply chain analyst and therefore doesn't always have as strong of a read on pricing details.

No idea of the legitimacy of it all, but possibly 100-200 grams (Quest 2 is over 500, Index is over 800)? Possibly closer to $1000 than $3000? Micro OLED displays? All in a standalone device?

If those are close to being true, I don't believe the rumor that Apple is trying to sell the "1 a day per store" that was originally rumored. Granted, by the time this thing releases, Oculus may have something relatively close (or perhaps more cost effective), but it seems like it could be more of a contender than I thought.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It was widely reported before its launch that Apple's "ten inch tablet" would target a price of $999; the iPad launched at $499 and Apple even referenced the expected price for it in its stage presentation.

Before people lose it they should maybe consider the possibility that Apple might have leaked the $3,000 price to make the final price (say, $1,499, or roughly the price range of a top-end iPhone, as Kuo mentioned) seem more palatable.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Do they have devices that can support these? I mean just playing 8k video content can be heavy, let alone playing interactive content with it.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I mean if it is a standalone headset as it seems it is given what a normal powerful mac costs and that this also has a screen the price is not that crazy.

I am sure they can not even produce that many yet so just going for an ultra enthusiast market is a good move by them.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Do they have devices that can support these? I mean just playing 8k video content can be heavy, let alone playing interactive content with it.

2 possibilities. First is that almost none of it will be native, and the main reason for such high resolution/pixel density is to get rid of the screen door effect. Second is that there will be some form of eye tracking/foveated rendering that drastically reduces required rendering power. We're definitely on the cusp of that tech in consumer VR, but I'm still skeptical that they could do it (and do it right) by next year.

It should be noted that Apple bought both NextVR and Spaces within the last year or so. It seems like they're definitely building a consumer VR platform.

If this thing will truly have Micro OLED's, I wonder what that means for the field of view. Either it would be significantly lower than current VR headsets, or they have some advanced optical technology that we don't know about yet.

Even with micro displays, it weighing 100-200 grams seems pretty far-fetched...this is supposed to be a mixed reality device with a dozen cameras, internal processor and battery? Maybe that goal is excluding the battery or something?

Last edited:

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
A few possible new details:

No idea of the legitimacy of it all, but possibly 100-200 grams (Quest 2 is over 500, Index is over 800)? Possibly closer to $1000 than $3000? Micro OLED displays? All in a standalone device?

If those are close to being true, I don't believe the rumor that Apple is trying to sell the "1 a day per store" that was originally rumored. Granted, by the time this thing releases, Oculus may have something relatively close (or perhaps more cost effective), but it seems like it could be more of a contender than I thought.
This is all BS. There is no way in Hell it'll be ANY of those things. 100-200grams is basically physically impossible currently. 8k Micro OLED screens, for 1000$ including hardware that can support those screens? LOL. See it having 2 4K screens At best in the end being aimed at Professionals at a hefty price point weighing significantly more than the quest 2. The quest 2 already went for non-premium materials to get down to that point and is almost unusable with its stock cloth strap. Be realistic people...

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
This is all BS. There is no way in Hell it'll be ANY of those things. 100-200grams is basically physically impossible currently. 8k Micro OLED screens, for 1000$ including hardware that can support those screens? LOL. See it having 2 4K screens At best in the end being aimed at Professionals at a hefty price point weighing significantly more than the quest 2. The quest 2 already went for non-premium materials to get down to that point and is almost unusable with its stock cloth strap. Be realistic people...

Well it did say that currently the prototypes were more like 200-300 grams. But you're right that it does seem like a stretch (and also why my subsequent post wondered if that was excluding the battery weight or something). But I'm a mix of skepticism and intrigue...Panasonic does have a headset that uses micro displays and it's really small, but with many other limiting factors. But this is Apple; if they're pumping money into this thing, who knows. Could be cool.

Also, the Quest 2 is $300 bucks...Apple's will be ~2 years later, which is currently a ton in VR land, as well as 5x more expensive (or 10x if the original rumor is true). So not seeing the comparison there really. Keep in mind, Oculus is way ahead of what's currently on the market. This article was from almost a year ago. So maybe comparing the tech to a 2022-2023 Quest 3 Pro or something would be more apt, but still probably not equivalent (I can't see a Quest pro being much more than $600, still half of the cheaper Apple rumor). And wow, this reminded me that the Quest 3, or at the very least the Quest 4 could have a lot of Half Dome 3's properties, and that shit is awesome.

edit: also, notice my language in that post. "possibly", "maybe", "if that was true"....don't shoot the messenger man, lol.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is more interesting, still out of my league, but 1'500 or even better 1'000$ sound pretty good, especially if those rumored specs are true, which I seriously doubt.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The lenses are still the problem with VR for me. It would be great to have 8k per eye but if the lenses can not display a crystal clear image then they are the bottleneck.

I remember Nvidia were working on some kind of display tech for VR that sounded very promising, I wonder what happened to it.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Well it did say that currently the prototypes were more like 200-300 grams. But you're right that it does seem like a stretch (and also why my subsequent post wondered if that was excluding the battery weight or something). But I'm a mix of skepticism and intrigue...Panasonic does have a headset that uses micro displays and it's really small, but with many other limiting factors. But this is Apple; if they're pumping money into this thing, who knows. Could be cool.

Also, the Quest 2 is $300 bucks...Apple's will be ~2 years later, which is currently a ton in VR land, as well as 5x more expensive (or 10x if the original rumor is true). So not seeing the comparison there really. Keep in mind, Oculus is way ahead of what's currently on the market. This article was from almost a year ago. So maybe comparing the tech to a 2022-2023 Quest 3 Pro or something would be more apt, but still probably not equivalent (I can't see a Quest pro being much more than $600, still half of the cheaper Apple rumor). And wow, this reminded me that the Quest 3, or at the very least the Quest 4 could have a lot of Half Dome 3's properties, and that shit is awesome.

edit: also, notice my language in that post. "possibly", "maybe", "if that was true"....don't shoot the messenger man, lol.
Hehe, sorry didn't want to come off as condescending/rude. It all just sounds a bit too fantastical as you mention yourself. Especially the 100-200g number, There are physical constraints, and the oculus 2 already uses the lightest materials possible basically. thin cloth and thin plastic with only 2h battery life.(not saying they couldn't shave off a few grams here and there) but knowing apple, who just put premium materials over weight/comfort with their new headphones, will never settle for a light/flimsy feeling hmd. On top 8k micro oled, even in two years, will only be barely affordable in HUGE volumes, which an apple VR solution simply won't have.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consumer pricing is not a known at this point. The amount of articles and places just pull figures out of their ass.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the price if it's going for the same demographic as the Microsoft Hololens ($3500, industrial edition: $4950), which isn't for consumers at all. [HoloLens 2 pricing and options]

The software integration is probably going to be really nice, knowing Apple. AR has been a big talking points for the past years (for Microsoft and google also, of course). It's been present in every Apple Event since 2017 IIRC.

Prior rumours were alluding to this - but that it wasn't intended - at this point, to be a consumer device. Just an initial development platform. Think of it like HoloLens (which is like $3500).

Yup, I wouldn't fault people for thinking Apple = Expensive for no reason. There definitely are some products outrageously priced, but sometimes we consumers aren't the audience for such a product and there exist many alternatives which we can buy. It primarily won't be for gaming only, which is probably the interest of most people on this forum.

A well implemented foveated rendering and a DLSS-like would go a long way as well.

Not sure about that, Tensorflow has released an M1 Mac-optimized version of their package, but so far that's only been interesting for developers. Haven't seen a real-application/integration yet, but the performance uplift is there for TensorFlow and basing it on that it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination that apple may be thinking about their own DLSS-like implementation. I mean, they did demonstrate shadow of the tomb raider running on M1 via Rosetta 2 and performing decently, so it only remains to be seen how far they could go with the next Apple Silicon chips. I'd really want to see more machine learning packages support apple hardware, because AMD so far has not been a great alternative (Pytorch recently supports a RocM build, but only for Linux).

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
$3000?

They will sell like hot cakes.

The hottest of cakes. The hottest cakes ever baked, steaming out of the oven. Magically hot. So hot it can only be described as a totally new kind of hotness.

(You get the idea.)

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
More than resolution, I really just want a very high FoV. I love VR and own a good number of headsets, but I don't like the ski goggles view I get from them

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's too bad all compute will be built in. Consumer version that would provide display, input, motion detection, battery, etc... but utilized iPhone for processing would be more interesting, IMO.

Because with Apple prices and advances in tech, it would be a door stop in say 3 years. Being able to utilize your phone for compute would greatly extend shelf life of a product like this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
For the original $3000 price, realize that the same rumor said it would be targeting developers and niche enthusiasts, not regular consumers. The theory is those developers would then use that $3000 headset to develop software, so when the real consumer device was released, it would have a sizeable software library at launch. This new $1000 rumor doesn't work with that at all, $1000 is what people would expect Apple to charge for their first consumer VR headset these days, especially a stand-alone.
Especially the 100-200g number, There are physical constraints, and the oculus 2 already uses the lightest materials possible basically. thin cloth and thin plastic with only 2h battery life
I have a pair of AR glasses that weighs 85 grams on your face and 140 grams in your pocket (the computer, battery, storage are in the pocket device; the consumer version will be powered by your phone, but if you remove the screen from a phone it's very light). If the outside of the lenses were made black, these AR glasses would be VR glasses. The reason current VR headsets are heavy is because they are designed around large solid plastic face-encompasing eye boxes, but they don't *need* to be that way, especially with Micro-OLED displays, which are thin and light (and don't use much battery power). And the Quest 2 battery is actually only 63 grams.

More than resolution, I really just want a very high FoV. I love VR and own a good number of headsets, but I don't like the ski goggles view I get from them
Sounds like what you want is a Pimax. Aside from their budget "Artisan" headset, their max FoV is 200 degrees diagonal / 170 degrees horizontal. They are quite pricey, however, because they require external sensors (Vive Lighthouses) and Vive-compatible controllers, which aren't included in the base package. So for example, the Pimax 8K Plus costs $900 US, but once you add light houses and Valve Index controllers to the mix, it costs like $1500