• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame they couldnt get the issues with the butterfly boards worked out, as I quite liked the look and feel of them.

But that said, the Retina MBP's from 2012-2015 have my favorite keyboards of all time on them so if they're returning to those I'll be happy.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness. I'd been hoping to get back into the Mac family after a decade's absence, but everything I heard about those keyboards just killed my interest.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
going out on a limb here and say most people that dislike it have not used it and are (rightfully) scared off by media reportings.

serious question, why do you guys keep Apple products you hate? In my country Apple has a very generous return policy.

says the haters haven't used it... responses in thread from owners of the hardware... suggests it's their fault for not returning the product, Apple is generous

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
says the haters haven't used it... responses in thread from owners of the hardware... suggests it's their fault for not returning the product, Apple is generous

In what world is a 30 day return policy not generous? Like if I order something and I don't like it, I ... don't keep it, especially if it's a big ticket item.

Also I wasn't trying to shift blame, just generally asking why people keep something around they hate. Seems unhealthy.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Thank God Ive is gone. His obsession with thinness was killing the MBP line.

Let the 12-inch MacBooks and new Airs be the thin machines in the lineup for the thin fetishist. The Pro is a pro machine. It should cater to those users.
And let it be user upgradable like the Mac pro desktop. The naming scheme doesn't make sense if there isn't feature parity.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as one of the few people who actually like the butterfly switches. I grew up on mechanical keyboards, I should hate everything about butterfly switches, but for whatever reason they click with me.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Count me as one of the few people who actually like the butterfly switches. I grew up on mechanical keyboards, I should hate everything about butterfly switches, but for whatever reason they click with me.
as a mechnical keyboard enthusiast, this is precisely why I like them, they feel like mechanical keyboards with less travel. the click is similarly satisfying.

Bring back magsafe next.
HECK. YES.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the switches either. I just hate that they are unreliable after 4 revisions. I had the sticky key stuff happen already. Was able to fix it myself, but it's ticking time bomb.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I bought before these were a thing, and glad my next one won't have them. The lack of feedback was terrible.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Whilst I actually like the new keyboard for feel, the reliability problems are just too prevalent. It's a good move if true.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
serious question, why do you guys keep Apple products you hate? In my country Apple has a very generous return policy.
This is the conundrum I'm in. What am I supposed to do? Turn up with my mac saying "Hey, this was shit, can I give you another ÂŁ600 to only improve the situation slightly?". Meanwhile, I've got money and time invested in Apple software, with projects on the go. I'm kind of trapped right now.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they are likely going to ship a product that is thicker than previous gen, how are they going to sell that after all these years of stupidly focusing on marketing thinness.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
they are likely going to ship a product that is thicker than previous gen, how are they going to sell that after all these years of stupidly focusing on thinness.
Ive is gone, bro

Sounds like I'm hating on Ive. I liked him generally, but his Macbook Pro designs of late have been terrible.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
First the guy responsible for prioritizing thinness over functionality leaves and now we have news they're possibly dumping one of the absolute worst keyboards on the market. Good week. Bad week for people who claim the keyboard issues were "anecdotal".

In what world is a 30 day return policy not generous? Like if I order something and I don't like it, I ... don't keep it, especially if it's a big ticket item.

Also I wasn't trying to shift blame, just generally asking why people keep something around they hate. Seems unhealthy.

Because many of us dont have a choice. We're issued them from our employers and stuck with them for years. Since 2016, MBPs have been an outright joke. My 2014 MBP is still my preferred computer of choice but not approved for work.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
This is the conundrum I'm in. What am I supposed to do? Turn up with my mac saying "Hey, this was shit, can I give you another ÂŁ600 to only improve the situation slightly?". Meanwhile, I've got money and time invested in Apple software, with projects on the go. I'm kind of trapped right now.

what do you mean about the 600? if your keyboard is bad you get it replaced for free and bumped up to the new 4th gen. (I went from gen 1 (great type feel but prone to break) to gen 3 (good type feel but very sturdy))

Oct 30, 2017

Why would you pay $600 to have something fixed that's on a quality program with extended warranties relating to the issue?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
sounds like a proper 🍎 nut

yeah, sorry for being a little more nuanced than ThIs ShIt SuCkS

First the guy responsible for prioritizing thinness over functionality leaves and now we have news they're possibly dumping one of the absolute worst keyboards on the market. Good week. Bad week for people who claim the keyboard issues were "anecdotal".

Because many of us dont have a choice. We're issued them from our employers and stuck with them for years. Since 2016, MBPs have been an outright joke. My 2014 MBP is still my preferred computer of choice but not approved for work.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Accusations of shilling, history of personal attacks against other members.
yeah, sorry for being a little more nuanced than ThIs ShIt SuCkS

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
What are you saying sorry for when you clearly don't mean it? You are one of the crazy stans people laugh for defending their products like lunatics, but keep harping on about nuance as if it makes sense.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
What are you saying sorry for when you clearly don't mean it? You are one of the crazy stans people laugh for defending their products like lunatics, but keep harping on about nuance as if it makes sense.

you will never see me defend the Apple TV remote lol

that's patently untrue, just because I happen to like a product that you don't doesn't make me a crazy stan. I think the keyboard is good, I think people should give it a chance when it comes to the way it feels but I also think people are rightfully skeptical of buying one because the failure rate is abnormally high.

if you just wanna keep shitting on me that's cool too tho.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bring back magsafe next.

I'm ok with USB-C but you can already get breakoff magsafe style adapters.

I do wish they'd specced USB-C with a plastic rim. Its too blunt so while you can't insert it the wrong way round, you can easily scratch your laptop sliding it around to find the hole. Especially when you have the lowly 2-port MBP so are always swapping

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
going out on a limb here and say most people that dislike it have not used it and are (rightfully) scared off by media reportings.

the only thing I actively dislike about this keyboard is the fact that they made the left and right arrow keys as high as the up and down keys, making it harder to blind-type on them.

Lifetime Apple user. The last two Macbook Pro's I owned (all using the new keyboards) have been the worst product experience with them by far. I dearly miss the 2012 model.
If you don't actively dislike it right now, it simply has yet to break for you.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May be finally time to upgrade my 2015 MBP when this hits the pro line. Can't fucking wait.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
what do you mean about the 600? if your keyboard is bad you get it replaced for free and bumped up to the new 4th gen. (I went from gen 1 (great type feel but prone to break) to gen 3 (good type feel but very sturdy))
Why would you pay $600 to have something fixed that's on a quality program with extended warranties relating to the issue?

I'm assuming that all they can do is offer to upsell me to a band new model. Seeing as the complaint is essentially "Dust and dirt are repeatedly clogging up my keyboard", I can't imagine them giving me a free upgrade... Would they? You seem to be suggesting they'll swap me to a new 2019 MBP for nothing.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No thanks. Every single Apple MBP or MBA power adapter I've ever owned has fallen completely apart. Apple and their cheap cabling can die in a fire. My third party USB-C cables are about 90 percent cheaper than Apple's crap and 100 percent more reliable.

That's true.

I'm assuming that all they can do is offer to upsell me to a band new model. Seeing as the complaint is essentially "Dust and dirt are repeatedly clogging up my keyboard", I can't imagine them giving me a free upgrade... Would they? You seem to be suggesting they'll swap me to a new 2019 MBP for nothing.

When I brought my 2016 MBP in for keyboard repairs, they replaced everything but the bottom case.
They're going to give you the latest version of the keyboard that has reduced breakage, I presume.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
It would make sense but I doubt Apple is willing take the L like that.
They are too proud to admit they fucked up.
Leaked pic of new keyboard
InW-bGyeRNubbLdTZSZlGgN41zFDDu6R3HjAUSqlTiR-ahhRrCuZHZqQqC6UkdiLGqpriKAqAks-28HmnUpK3MwQi7ZyB_q9wdzXRsZabLUoEsEbBrG8xyLaoHSzfm0D

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
if you are experiencing a set of symptoms (keys typing double, keys not typing), they will replace the entire keyboard part of your unit for free and upgrade it to the newest, 4th gen keyboard.

Oct 30, 2017

No but they replace the entire top case at no cost to you. You'll get a new version of the keyboard alongside a new battery, trackpad, and speakers (if it's a Touch Bar. If it's a non Touch Bar MBP you'll have your old speakers as they're not integrated into the case)

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
if you are experiencing a set of symptoms (keys typing double, keys not typing), they will replace the entire keyboard part of your unit for free and upgrade it to the newest, 4th gen keyboard.

No but they replace the entire top case at no cost to you. You'll get a new version of the keyboard alongside a new battery, trackpad, and speakers (if it's a Touch Bar. If it's a non Touch Bar MBP you'll have your old speakers as they're not integrated into the case)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. If anything, then, I'm hoping my keyboard gets WORSE, then ;)

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really wonder if this was one of the decisions that made Ives leave. The guy has to hate this.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
But they won't have Ive in a video describing it as the most stunning and revolutionary keyboard switch they've ever designed, in his pompous arrogant trademark tone.