• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Huh? Most major manufacturers are all removing the headphone jack inc Google itself. Pixel 4, Samsung Note S10, OnePlus 6T, Sony, etc.
Galaxy s10/s10+, LG G8 ThinQ, Moto G7, Huawei P30, Redmi Note 8 Pro, Motorola One Zoom etc etc.

There is still a lot of options with it. I don't care about what brand phone i am using as long as it meets my 3 qualifiers. Make calls, play spotify and a headphone jack. I specifically upgraded my iphone to a s10+ because of the headphone jack and will do it again if the s11 doesn't. I'm not part of either ecosystem and have no brand loyalty i just want to listen to spotify with my headphones and be able to make calls.

Eh. It will probably be fine in the future, and it's to be expected. I'm more curious to see when they'll remove all ports on their computers...

It is pretty early, though.

I imagine there will be cases with built-in wireless charging tech for a while, until the wireless charging ecosystem catches up.

Almost all phones will probably have no charging ports in 6-8 years - or have a different type of technology all together.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
That's a HELL NO from me dawg. Still using wired CarPlay and my wireless charger takes for ever at home compared to wired. Probably going back to Android if the notch isn't gone in the 2020 phones.

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
That would be a no from me. I use CarPlay regularly and don't plan on getting new car any time soon. Says the highest end model, though. I'm sure I'd be fine with a lower end one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Did I fall into a coma for 20 years and wake up in a world where wireless charging is about 10,000x more ubiquitous than it is today? Because that's kind of what needs to happen for this to make sense.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Wouldn't bother me. I am a heavy user the 11 pro battery lasts me easily a day and half. I only use wireless charging and AirPods pro/ Bluetooth headphones along with wireless CarPlay. I can't miss a port I don't use, but understand people that use their phone in a different way and rely on charging on the go/ wired headphones.
there will always be a lot of people of both user groups and you can't please everybody.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Isn't wireless pretty inefficient.

Seems silly.

It's actually not too bad, but nowhere near as good as some of the fast charging going on now.

A phone without USB C or whatever Apple do is just scandalous lol.

It's as if Apple just exist to try and push being anti-consumer as far as possible.

Fuck that. My OnePlus charges to full battery in like 20mins. How fast is wireless?

Nowhere near that fast. OnePlus and Oppo (IIRC, that's the name) fast charge is insane.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Once again, Palm ahead of the curve with the Veer baby!

HPVeer4G-8745.jpg

It even had a magnetic headphone dongle, in 2011!

HPVeer4G-8699.jpg

(yes I know this is just using magnetic contacts instead of a traditional plug but still very funny)
Mmm, I always loved how that phone looked.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they could release a small magnetic dealie that snaps on to contacts on the back of the phone or something to charge it without a port. So "wired" but no port, as an option for you to use it while charging. Eliminating "use while charging" as a usecase is so laughable I refuse to believe they'd be considering it.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this a benefit? All their phones today already support wireless charging. Losing a port is not a premium feature.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
let me see here, so all apple phones will start using about 35% more energy.. awesome, super green tech FTW

most annoying thing is that braindead companies will follow them into the pit of shit, just like they did with headphone jacks.. because we all know you cannot use blutooth if you have a headphone jack.

soooo brave

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
How is this a benefit? All their phones today already support wireless charging. Losing a port is not a premium feature.
And phones that had headphone jacks still supported wireless audio.
AND YET, here we are.

I sure hope it's not true, an iPhone with USB-C might actually be enough to get me to switch.

Oct 27, 2017
If they want to get rid of the lightning connector, they better step up whatever plans they had for the smart connector and get far more third parties on board for it than they have now.

Wireless charging isn't where it needs to be (it needs to be able to fast-charge safely), there still needs to be a user accessible way to DFU in case of fuckups, and there still needs to be a way to do local connections to computers and accessories without WiFi.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is they have already transitioned to USB-C with their Macbook line and new iPads. I don't understand why they haven't done so with their phones. They must be making a killing on selling, and licensing third party lightning cables?

Probably because Apple sees the Mac and higher end iPads as needing to compete with PCs, therefore they need USBC.

The cheaper iPads are meant to appeal more to consumers who want one for as little as possible and most people plugging in an iPhone are doing so to charge it and nothing more.

Also yeah they probably make a decent chunk of change from lightning.

Edit: I also think they may be somewhat skittish after the backlash from moving away from 30 pin.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Was it more than the 2m it's rated for?
no, it was about 1 meter and for less than 30 seconds. I called Apple about it but they said it's only water-resistant and not waterproof. So it's not covered by the warranty. Also, I am not alone google water damage iPhones xs max.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My problem with not having a charging port is I often fall asleep with my phone and iPad just laid next to me in bed (not tucked in though... I'm not THAT guy).
Unless I could get sheets which did wireless charging, I could see my phone being low on battery a lot. I have a wireless charge 'area' on my desk at home and at work but always charge with my lightning cable at night. It'l be interesting to see if this starts a trend though.
Can't you just put the charging pad on your bed? Or night stand? We have 3 of them in my house so an easy charge is always nearby

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Would be cool. Hope we see some signs of long-distance wireless charging by then.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Is this report even accurate. It's the 2021 iPhone. Have they even finalized the 2020 5G iPhone next year? Does anyone have rumours from 2 years ago to see if what they said with this year's iPhone to see how much was right / wrong?

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the SE2 still has a port at least. I drive a 1996 Volvo, if I wanna listen to music in the car, it's gotta be something that can plug into a tapedeck adaptor. I don't even have a CD player.

May 25, 2019
London
I think this would be where I finally draw the line. Not having a charging port is just so dumb, there's a million times I need to charge a phone where I don't have a flat surface to rest it on and set up a charger.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
That's just dumb. I use wireless charging most of the time but I still use the port when I need some juice quick.

Unless they're using high power wireless charging, (which I think the latest samsungs and oneplus have), in which case, yayy time to throw out all my wireless chargers and get new ones.

Also, does the chart mean Apple is still going with the notch in 2020?? Ahaha hahaha..... haha........ haaaaah.......

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
What would be the advantage of doing this? Aesthetics? Less internals, more water protection?

I don't think that wireless chargers are quite there yet, but then again neither was wireless audio and the forced adoption of the technology made everyone focus on it a lot more. Not like the technology isn't available, it's just a secondary thought for the most part.

Not feeling super annoyed or excited about it.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with the wireless only charging; but I like the port for data transfers / backup :(

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is acting like this change is coming tomorrow when we're talking about two years from now. The technology might not be there yet but it will be in two years and it most certainly will be a month after Apple releases a completely wireless phone.

As soon as there are car phone holders with wireless chargers built in this will be fine for in the car. I guarantee dozens of them release alongside the new iPhones if not before. So long as that happens I'm completely down for the wireless future.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm already fully wireless charging.

Wireless charger drilled into every table

BRING IT ON OVERLORDS

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I hate most of Apple's decisions the past few years.

I just hope Google/Samsung doesn't copy this shit. This compulsion to copy bad ideas drives me crazy.

You can have BOTH wired and wireless charging with no compromise, right now.

This is a pointless move to take away another feature/option from a phone and call it an "evolution."

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It sucked when I went from being able to listen to music to charging my phone in my car.

Would suck to not be able to do either.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Everyone is acting like this change is coming tomorrow when we're talking about two years from now. The technology might not be there yet but it will be in two years and it most certainly will be a month after Apple releases a completely wireless phone.

I agree, generally if Kuo is talking about a product this far out it has a good chance of being a prototype that may not see market, or may be significantly altered if tech is not ready in time.

Right now I see two possibilities for this one:

a) They are waiting on next-gen Qi (30w-40w is in development) and possibly WiFi charging (See: Wattup) I agree that not being able to use the phone while charging would be a huge problem, so some combo of the two would make sense.

b) They are going with a magnetic charge port AKA Magsafe. Which is already popular in the grey market with 3rd party Lightning/USB-C magsafe cables. That would be a way to maintain a line connection but not have a recessed port to worry about.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I love that the most expensive models are the one's that lose ports etc. Phones are basically the opposite of every other device where the deluxe models have extra things.

Dec 12, 2017
Is there any reason why they can't make the pack in QI charger also capable of data transfer so you can just plug it into a USB port on any device? Don't think this is as crazy as y'all are making it out to be.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
As usual Apple give no fucks. Other phone makers saw how much it sold and think it should be standard, rinse repeat.