• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It seems like the next logical step to me. Hopefully, this change improves the phone's water resistance.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I will say in the patent world wireless charging should be crazy in the upcoming years. Disney over here parenting ride queues that can wirelessly charge your phone.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Carplay is mandatory for me. And I sure as hell ain't buying a new car for wireless carplay. Also with a recent update, Apple disable 7.5w changing on all my Qi chargers. So I guess without a cable that means no more fast charging for me either.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm sure they will go for a magnetic connector - some of the devices at my job (Which have to be submersible) use magnetic connectors and no ports whatsoever already. That means data over WiFi, though. Which could suck, especially for peripherals.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will get the 2020 and then wait again for another 3 years when they add back in the ports.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm okay with losing Lightning in exchange for USB-C, but going fully wireless sounds potentially very annoying for e.g. charging your phone in the car.

Not to mention Apple's flubbed the wireless charging thing both with the cancelled AirPower and with the cancelled iPhone 11 two-way charging feature. There's a lot of stuff they do well but I'm not sure I trust them with that.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have to have the phone sitting on top of a wireless charging pad for that to work? Would suck for when you wanted to be able to use your phone while charging it

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Don't think of it like a Qi wireless charger pad but more like an Apple Watch + charger. I have no issue charging my apple watch in places like an airplane seat as it's made purposefully for that device/fit.
The issue is that I use a cable for audio in my car (don't like using Bluetooth as it doesn't sound great in comparison) and I only like to use wired headphones because they are always with me and I don't need to worry about charging them. Besides, wireless headphones don't last - the batteries just don't last more than a few years.

Also, wireless charging tends to heat up the device significantly more based on my experiences with the last couple iPhones - bad during a hot summer.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Never use mine anyways. What I'd rather see confirmed though is a notchless design for 2021.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Not all cars are wireless for CarPlay. What if I'm traveling across country and need a charge? I need to bring my wireless charger and plug it into an AC outlet? Do they sell wireless chargers that are USB powered? It's just an extra hassle. Not something I would be for. I like to play games that consume a lot of battery and I often have to play while plugged in.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Wireless charging doesn't work well enough yet to try this (Qi). The charging speeds are there, but the pads are awful and require you to reposition the phone (or other devices) too perfectly to even start charging. The worst feeling in the world is waking up to a dead battery because your phone was placed slightly to the left of the charging zone. No thanks.

Feb 1, 2018
This was always their endgame. A monolithic slab of glass/metal that's water and life proof.

I would much prefer USB-C though for the Pro model and the regular one can be full wireless

Qi is too slow and the heat levels aren't good for long term battery health IIRC

The charging speeds are there, but the pads are awful and require you to reposition the phone (or other devices) too perfectly to even start charging.

Most charging pads have a status light that confirms the phone is positioned properly and charging

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
I'm about to say this : NO

Tim Cook needs to realize that decisions like this and the useless Apple TV+ are what caused Jony Ive to leave Apple.
He cares more about maximizing profits and doing useless things Apple's audience never asked for.
If you've read any of the countless articles on Jonny Ive and Cook's relationship, you'll come to realize that the iPhone SE2 at one point had a design that was literally the size of the first iPhone SE, but with the iPhone 10's almost bezeless screen.
Guess what happened to that? Cancelled because of Tim Cook's boneheaded decision making.
Not to mention Jonny Ive knowing better about what the Apple Watch should be for one.

And this is why decisions like these for Apple's devices, OSes and services should not happen. It's just change for the sake of change on one hand.
and other times, it's just giving people things that had no innovative purpose.

When will Tim Cook think the one question he should be asking himself more often : WWSJD? (Better known as What would Steve Jobs do?)
There's a reason why people gravitated towards Apple so much throughout the years, and Innovation was one of them.
That's something that Steve Jobs strived for prior to his passing. And Tim Cook needs to understand that.
It's that and having a better reading of the market so that decisions like I mentioned Tim Cook making don't happen again.

Because if he continues down the path he's gone on with this company's devices, OSes and services, there'll be alot of problems.

Not to mention Apple's biggest rival Microsoft innovating more than them.

See? There's a reason why people like me who formerly went Apple for certain things moved to other more innovative products and companies for that.

P.S: Almost forgot to mention that a quote from the person who wrote the late Steve Jobs' Biography made it clear that there was a divide in ideology between them.
That and I forgot to mention the impulsive decision to remove 32bit app support from MacOS Catalina, despite an interest in gaming on Mac that stemmed from the decisions Steve Jobs made in that front.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that I use a cable for audio in my car (don't like using Bluetooth as it doesn't sound great in comparison) and I only like to use wired headphones because they are always with me and I don't need to worry about charging them. Besides, wireless headphones don't last - the batteries just don't last more than a few years.

Also, wireless charging tends to heat up the device significantly more based on my experiences with the last couple iPhones - bad during a hot summer.

Yeah wireless headphones have a shelf life. Probably need to replace things like AirPods every 2-3 years. But wires would also get frayed / connectors slowly pull apart within the wire and often have to be replaced every 3 years anyways. Just changing one problem for another.

Yeah we're about to hit the all wireless generation, so what are you going to do? How long until you give up? How long can you last on older hardware?

Maybe you'll be like those people I see still rocking their iPhone 4's.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Who is working on the design team that has SUCH vendetta against ports? It's a 1 cm oval on the bottom of the device for God's sake, it not some big obtrusive thing that ruins the whole look.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it will change by then but wireless charging on my S10 is still slower than through cable

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah wireless headphones have a shelf life. Probably need to replace things like AirPods every 2-3 years. But wires would also get frayed / connectors slowly pull apart within the wire and often have to be replaced every 3 years anyways. Just changing one problem for another.

Yeah we're about to hit the all wireless generation, so what are you going to do? How long until you give up? How long can you last on older hardware?

Not true, man. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser cans since 2007 and a pair of B&O earbuds since 2014. Not problem with either of them and no plans to replace them.

Perhaps what WILL happen is that I'll go back to a dedicated music player as a result of this. Simply stop using the phone for it. That sucks but what can you do? WIreless still isn't good enough and has too many limitations.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So instead of lightning/usb-c port and wire you would have a lightning/usb-c port and wire attached to a Qi pad or Qi pad jacket/container the size of the iphone. JFC.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Who is working on the design team that has SUCH vendetta against ports? It's a 1 cm oval on the bottom of the device for God's sake, it not some big obtrusive thing that ruins the whole look.

To be fair, it's a connection port that can flake out over time and is an ingress point for moisture, etc. As a Nexus 6P owner that had to replace their USB-C port, it's definitely desire-able for a manufacturer to remove as many connections as possible. If they could seal this thing up entirely they would - better water resistance, better structural integrity, EMI-susceptibility, etc. Significantly reduces the risk of failure during environmental and mechanical testing.

Doesn't mean it is better for the consumer though.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they will go for a magnetic connector - some of the devices at my job (Which have to be submersible) use magnetic connectors and no ports whatsoever already. That means data over WiFi, though. Which could suck, especially for peripherals.
Ummm, wireless charging already uses magnetic fields, so sticking magnets near the charging coil would not be recommended as it would likely hinder the charging efficiency.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So CarPlay in 99.999% of cars that have won't work anymore?

also wireless charging nice when it makes sense, but it's not nearly as efficient or space saving

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So Apple cancelled their wireless charging mat earlier this year because they couldn't get it working and now they're planning to make devices that only charge wirelessly? I'm skeptical.

So how would you charge it on the car????
I have a wireless phone charging pad in my car. I realize this is extremely uncommon.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One day, we'll have the technology to have a battery charger already installed in the phone, and the days of low battery will end.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

If your wired headphones are only lasting you 3 years, I'd suggest you stop buying $20 headphones.

Sounds like the 2020 model will be my last iPhone for awhile. That's fine.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, more diferenciation between high and low end is interestin given how close the 11 and 11 pro are.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Unless this thing is either waterproof or at least "several hours under water" kind of resistant. I don't the a point in making it completely wireless.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no

But I imagine the solution for most people would be a case that has a port on it, and then charges the phone through induction

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful. Tech isn't there yet and I doubt it will be in two years time.

Doesn't make sense anyway. Even if it was good enough the lack of convince wouldn't be worth it and I think even Apple's ecosystem isn't enough to get consumers to buy it.