• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Kuo:

Apple will create more differentiation between the highest-end and high- end models. It will benefit the shipment of the highest-end model and ‌iPhone‌ ASP. Among new 2H21 ‌iPhone‌ models, we expect that the highest-end model would cancel the [Lightning] port and provide the completely wireless experience.

kuo-iphone-2020-2021-800x460.jpg

Who knows if this will pan out, but it should make for interesting discussion at least. Would you be interested in an iPhone that truly has zero ports and is completely wireless?

I am certainly down for it if wireless audio improves. I care about audio quality and wireless is not conducive to that.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
My problem with not having a charging port is I often fall asleep with my phone and iPad just laid next to me in bed (not tucked in though... I'm not THAT guy).
Unless I could get sheets which did wireless charging, I could see my phone being low on battery a lot. I have a wireless charge 'area' on my desk at home and at work but always charge with my lightning cable at night. It'l be interesting to see if this starts a trend though.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the fucking QI chargers I'd need to buy. I like it but ...ugh...so much waste

Deleted member 2083

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At a time when so many car manufacturers aren't including wireless CarPlay, this seems like a great idea.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Interesting. That would mean that it can only be charged via induction, right? It would have to have a long battery life or be able to charge on other people's phones or devices so people won't have an expensive paperweight.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I just can't see it, yet. How could you do charging on the go? Can they make wireless carplay standard?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Did they fix the issue of energy waste with wireless charging? What if you have to charge on the go?

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't keep up with phone rumors but does it simply saying without Lightening on that graph also mean it might switch to USB-C instead of just wireless?

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I almost never plug my phone in, except to use CarPlay, and for my car plugging in is *required* to access CarPlay. So, unless that changes, I'd be out of luck with this phone. And my car relies on either CarPlay or Android Auto for navigation, as it has none built in...

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
With the removal of the headphone jack, it was always going to end up this way. Accept your completely wireless future.
And you just know all the biggest android phones will follow suit, because they always do.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
No wired headphones = no buy.

Going to be a rough time for you. 3mm jack is dead.

So how does one charge it in the back seat of a road trip let's say.

I assume they'll come with some new wireless charging spec which may fit the exact phone model/dimensions. So same way you do now, plug into power/USB-C. If it fits perfectly instead of the open ended nature of Qi charging pads now, it won't be an issue w/ movement. I bet you it'll be more like the Apple Watch charger then a Qi charging pad.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Can't wait to hear Apple fans tell me how better wireless charging is impossible unless Apple does this.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That'll fuck me over good when it comes to charging my phone on the go.

I keep a portable charger on me when I commute to work. That shit is a requirement. Wireless charging is cool when you can set it down and forget it. But not when my wife needs to keep her phone juiced when she's out for the day. I bought her a power bank and she keeps that shit in her purse and it's come in handy plenty of times.

I'd rather Apple switch to USB C for iphones than ditch lightning. And I haven't even gotten into data transfers.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, shit. This would be the point where I'd have to give up iPhones for good. There is no scenario where this works for me.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Well, shit. This would be the point where I'd have to give up iPhones for good. There is no scenario where this works for me.

Don't think of it like a Qi wireless charger pad but more like an Apple Watch + charger. I have no issue charging my apple watch in places like an airplane seat as it's made purposefully for that device/fit.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
A fully wireless phone is something I expect to be dead in the water, but somehow I think Apple is gonna force this future into the market and things are gonnna be dire for a few years there until the market can catch up.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Would change absolutely nothing for my use case but I'd still rather have an USB-C port now that most of my stuff is USB-C.
Also I'll need proper receipts on the "completely wireless" part, I'd assume he would be talking about no more lightning port (aka possibility for other physical connector).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me. WIreless charging has been common for years, I'm surprised a totally wireless phone hasn't done it yet.

If apple produces it, the market will follow and you'll see wireless charging pads being a lot more common in cars, coffee shops, etc.

At home I use my Pixel stand charger like 90% of the time, but I still have to use a wire for Android Auto in my car. I know they have wireless android auto integrations using the wifi spec, but my car doesn't support it and I've heard mixed things.

wireless is not conducive

😉

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of this idea because I then can't charge and use my phone. I do that often at my desk at work or at home where my phone is plugged in charging, but I'm still using it. Unless they figure out a way to charge it without it literally resting on a surface.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
if you thought the $9 lightning adapter for headphones was too much of an expense, wait til you get a load of those airpod prices!

May 9, 2018
Legit QI chargers are dropping enough in price for this to be viable by 2021. During Black Friday Belkin did a sale on their newest chargers to $20, which was cheaper than many sketchy brands. (Costco had them for $18; I bought 2)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has smelled like Apple has been wanting to go this direction for a while now. It's the most Apple of outcomes.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
does not sound plausible, so much power in a device and won't be able to attach accessories or anything to take advantage of in the future?

zero % chance of this happening imo

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
With a wireless charger? There are cars with wireless CarPlay today.
So just gotta buy a new car with your new phone?

Ugh.

As someone who has had Apple phones since day 1, I'm not down with this at all. I've been waiting three years for them to release a phone without the awful notch, and now this.

I REALLY hope this isn't true.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I charge it wirelessly at work but via wires at home.. not a big fan of this concept, but I suppose I could get used to it. My main issue is just the lack of space where I set it at night (a small shelf next to the bed). Not sure I could fit a charger there. I guess I'd have no choice but to just not charge it while sleeping.

Edit: Hadn't thought about the affect on car usage. Yeah, this would be a bummer in that regard.. but I guess you'd just have to buy a wireless charger for your car specifically. What a waste of plastic and metals, frankly.