• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
it's probably more like Pixel 4Head than that mock up to be realistic.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
hope this is true.

iphone 12 pro

this design
5.4" screen
underscreen fingerprint sensor
usb c
120hz display

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't wait for Apple to drop the butterfly keyboard and the notch in the same year and see the people who defended such design catastrophes completely 180.

Google included in those people.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why does the notch bother people? I'm not being critical but it's never bothered me at all (or anyone i know personally) just want some perspective because online is a barrage of complaints

Because people are inherently thrown off by asymmetry, and if you turn it sideways it's like looking at a picture on a wall at a 5 degree angle.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2018 iPad Pro already proved you can have FaceID without a notch, so an iPhone with that same design is a clear winner

The only thing the notch had going for it was branding/identity (being able to spot the device from afar like the home button on older iOS devices), but everything else about it was a design compromise to fit in all that 3D IR dot projector hardware but have an all-screen at the same time

The Pro has a much larger bezel to house the FaceID hardware. They're going to have to shrink it considerably for this to work in a phone form factor.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
This needs to happen. If we get another phone next year that's basically the 11 and more bullshit about "Well NEXT YEAR will be the big upgrade" I'm going to be pissed and tweet a lot about how pissed I am to my 20 followers.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
6.7" is hilariously big. Hopefully this trickles down into something a bit more reasonable.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for something that matches the size of the iPhone SE.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Eh... I'm skeptical. It's either not going to happen or it won't look as good as the render. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell wants these massive phones? The XS Max and 11 Pro Max are 6.5 inches and that's already way too big for most people.
Me.

Using a View 20 (From an S8) and already used to its size. Each time I upgrade my screens get bigger and each time they become completely "normal" to me within weeks.

That may be enough to tempt me into iOS.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Holding out for this one. My XS Max is still serviceable although the battery is starting to suffer a bit

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I can't wait for Apple to drop the butterfly keyboard and the notch in the same year and see the people who defended such design catastrophes completely 180.

Google included in those people.
Man I love the butterfly keyboard but I will def rage it when it breaks lol

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Give me that in regular Pro size and we're talking. The Pro is too big to be ideal for me.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I might of got one if it looked like that.

I do want to note that I am personally annoyed with the bevel screens. Lots of games don't support it and it leads to something like Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale missing parts of the UI / Screen space because it isn't rectangular.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
This is the dream. I'll get this if 5.4" + notchless even though I just went 6 -> 11pro.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Who the hell wants these massive phones? The XS Max and 11 Pro Max are 6.5 inches and that's already way too big for most people.
The larger display will surely be like the current phones where a 6.5" device is physically smaller than an older 5.5" device because the display fills more of the body, rather than the phone itself being larger.
iphone-sizes-mokdd.jpg

As someone with a 7 Plus (same size as all the other Plus models) I'd consider the 5.8" model (probably 6") if I were getting a new phone now that there are no downsides to it.

I really hope that the next iPhone design includes a high refresh rate display. 60Hz looks so bad these days. Bring it up to 120Hz to match the iPads.

underscreen fingerprint sensor
I'd be surprised if that happens, unless these new fingerprint sensors are significantly more accurate than what is used in Touch ID.
Apple's claims are that Face ID is significantly more secure than Touch ID.
If one is significantly more secure than the other, why would they include both?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
If they do this with the smaller screen sizes, I'm most likely in. I can't comfortably use a 6.7" phone.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The larger display will surely be like the current phones where a 6.5" device is physically smaller than an older 5.5" device because the display fills more of the body, rather than the phone itself being larger.
iphone-sizes-mokdd.jpg

As someone with a 7 Plus (same size as all the other Plus models) I'd consider the 5.8" model (probably 6") if I were getting a new phone now that there are no downsides to it.

I really hope that the next iPhone design includes a high refresh rate display. 60Hz looks so bad these days. Bring it up to 120Hz to match the iPads.

I'd be surprised if that happens, unless these new fingerprint sensors are significantly more accurate than what is used in Touch ID.
If one is significantly more secure than the other, why would they include both?

convenience.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The Pro has a much larger bezel to house the FaceID hardware. They're going to have to shrink it considerably for this to work in a phone form factor.
This. If it means a bigger bezel, I'd rather just have the notch (as small as they can get it, sure) and no bezels everywhere else. Don't take away my screen real estate for purely cosmetic purposes just because some people got all up in their feelings about it.
Multiple biometric factors would be an order of magnitude more secure than any one factor could be while having minimal to zero impact on convenience. Probably a lot of stuff would just require one of them to authenticate, but some other stuff could seamlessly require both.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple biometric factors would be an order of magnitude more secure than any one factor could be while having minimal to zero impact on convenience. Probably a lot of stuff would just require one of them to authenticate, but some other stuff could seamlessly require both.
That's true, but I doubt anyone asking for fingerprint sensors is looking for multi-factor authentication.
If it let you choose between one or the other, they have to both offer equal levels of protection or else you are just compromising device security.
The great thing about Apple is that they have introduced these features as a convenience without compromising security, unlike Android devices that include "face unlock" features which are completely insecure (but no notch!).

If you live somewhere that it gets cold enough to wear gloves a significant portion of the year, Face ID is considerably more convenient.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
They essentially have slim bezels, which is what people were saying for them to do in the first place, before they went on the notch path.

I'm not sure what I want to do now. I'm in need of a new phone badly, and the only phone I want to get as of now is the OnePlus 7 Pro. I'd rather not wait another year.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you live somewhere that it gets cold enough to wear gloves a significant portion of the year, Face ID is considerably more convenient.

I like FaceID, but sometimes I don't want to have to stare down my phone or tablet to unlock it, such as when it's laying on a flat surface.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it next year.

Apple still hanging on with the notch and lightning port is laughable.